Do the Police have a "Duty of care" written into thier contracts of em

I dropped him off on his road and headed off to work, but I told him to tell his parents that if the taxi driver should turn up demanding more money, to tell him to Whistle Dixie !

So you told the incident controller that you would sort the lad out yourself and then waited for the police to arrive ?:confused:

QUOTE= POLSKI [Listen mate, AFTER having been asked if I wanted to note the INCIDENT number, I rightly/wrongly presumed a copper might turn up, hence waiting for a few minutes. The lad was sat in my car keeping warm. Please dont tell me that at 7.00 am on a Staurday morning it takes the cops more than five minutes to get up from either Nunnery, Attercliffe of even from Moss Way.

Were you expecting the police to be there immediately? Even if it was an emergency, the response time is within 10 mins. This clearly wasn't an emergency as the kid was sat safley in your car.

And with regards to the call handler getting info from you, this would not have delayed a response because one would have been despatched whilst you were on the phone, had you given them a chance.

The one thing about this story that doesn't gel for me is that the guy said he lost his wallet.

Now I know when I think I've lost something that was in my pocket, I check ALL my pockets in case I put it in another one, so how come he didn't find the £5 notes he had?

Not only that, why would the taxi driver, now having most, if not all of the fare threaten to visit his house to ask for twice (roughly) the original fare, having already been paid?

NB: for the fare calculations, I used my journey last night from city centre to S26, approximately the same distance (S26 maybe a little further). It came to £12.90.

What would you expect them to do ?

Tell the taxi driver it's a civil matter & comes under contract law so there is nothing they can do.

If this story is true they stole his money, they had no right.

No I didn't, and yes I should, but the attitude of the incident room Police officer and the fact I was late for work had got me , a tad irritated.

In reply to Angels quote, "The police aren't there to provide a taxi service to idiots that get too drunk to know what they're doing."

You're right they're not, but as you state, "too drunk to know what they're doing" , surely they have a Duty of care towards someone in this state.

Don't tell me you've never been sozzled; I have in my mis-spent youth and done stupid things and been lucky to have survived. This lad might not have !

Nor are they there to take all someones money off them and give it to someone else on the off chance that the drivers story was true.

Nor are they there to take all someones money off them and give it to someone else on the off chance that the drivers story was true.

But we only have a young lad who is still steaming drunk at 7am the next mornings word for that.

Whatever the police had done be it arrest him or let him go on his way they would have been wrong - damned if they do, damned if they don't.

An unenviable and thankless job imo.

At the end of the day - the young lad is an adult, got drunk, lost his wallet and will probably have the hangover from hell this afternoon - let's hope he has learned a valuable lesson as he is neither dead nor locked up.

Edited by Daven

If you get an individual or an organisation that has no accountability to anyonre other than itself then it can never do anything wrong - anything at all.

Did you see the incident where 96 football fans died ? Have you read of the self confessed politicization of the police at Orgreave ?

The consequences of the lies and deceit are as follows.....................................

Now it seems the original post amounts to a complaint and my prediciton as to the handling of that complaint are as follows...............

Just out of intrest - did anyone catch the stats for S Y Police reported rapes being recorded as non crimes aired on BBC radio yesterday ?

They may well have a duty of care but you would need to be a millionaire to hold them to account for breaching that duty. It is that mentality which gives rise to campaign groups because if they did an adequate job there would be no need for campaigners.

As you resolved the situation yourselves that is probably a resolved incident so chalk yourself a plus on your stats because it has probably gone on theirs as a non incident or solved incident and they will also claim brownie points for answering within a required target time.

All in all the stats will show they did an adequate job.

Have you seen how many drunks there are on a Friday/ Saturday night?

Perhaps as a duty of care police should lay on a couple of minibuses in order to take them home and not deal with the drunken violence down town.

I don't know whether or not the Police have a duty of care but what really surprises me is the attitude of some people who have posted on this forum. polski behaved in a very public spirited way, which he needn't have done, and some posters seem to believe that he should have left this lad, maybe to be killed on the road or cause a serious accident where others could have been injured. polskis actions were humane and kind, some people should follow suit.

I don't know whether or not the Police have a duty of care but what really surprises me is the attitude of some people who have posted on this forum. polski behaved in a very public spirited way, which he needn't have done, and some posters seem to believe that he should have left this lad, maybe to be killed on the road or cause a serious accident where others could have been injured. polskis actions were humane and kind, some people should follow suit.

Where has anyone posted that Polski should have left the lad ?:confused: