School Uniform - a Good Thing, or Not?

Perhaps students could be let off wearing uniform on the day they have art too?

They are, in the sense that they are supplied with an overall. But they are only doing Art for about an hour; their Art teacher is doing it all day. Some Art teachers do of course opt to wear overalls over smarter clothes.

They could have a different uniform, it works for the hourly paid school staff, and teaching assistants could have a differnt badge too.

And in the end, I am not sure why we are trying to find reasons to treat teachers exactly the same as pupils. Their roles - and the school's expectations of them - are different. As long as they set a good example by being punctual, dressing smartly, working hard, communicating appropriately and treating others in a civilised fashion, why do they have to be treated as though they are 15?

Edited by aliceBB

It just does not work like that.

I remember at school, the teacher still looked after us and open and close the window too in order to monitor the room temperature. :rolleyes:

Uniforms are by and large a good idea,they stop any competition to see who can wear the latest designer gear and makes the children all equal.

Uniforms should be jeans and a t-shirt though.

It just does not work like that.

Actually, yes it does. In the school where I worked, blazers and sweaters could be removed during lessons and put back on when moving around the building. You cannot work if you are too hot. Plus, kids are encouraged to drink water through the day to help them regulate their temperature and avoid dehydration.

They are, in the sense that they are supplied with an overall. But they are only doing Art for about an hour; their Art teacher is doing it all day. Some Art teachers do of course opt to wear overalls over smarter clothes.

And in the end, I am not sure why we are trying to find reasons to treat teachers exactly the same as pupils. Their roles - and the school's expectations of them - are different. As long as they set a good example by being punctual, dressing smartly, working hard, communicating appropriately and treating others in a civilised fashion, why do they have to be treated as though they are 15?

:huh:

Shouldn't teachers be setting examples ? :suspect:

Regardless of where you work, there are still expectations never the less. Whether this is a company, or a school.

To be honest, I personally do not see wearing a uniform is actually managing a person as if they are 15. It can be a dress code or a recommendation, but if you are an adult, then surely you should be expected to be able to look after yourself in a basic way. If you cannot even do that, then how can a teacher be expected to teach the next generation and state that you are an example of self sufficient person ?

:huh:

Shouldn't teachers be setting examples ? :suspect:

Regardless of where you work, there are still expectations never the less. Whether this is a company, or a school.

Please read what I said in #24 in #37 about how teachers do set an example.

To be honest, I personally do not see wearing a uniform is actually managing a person as if they are 15. It can be a dress code or a recommendation, but if you are an adult, then surely you should be expected to be able to look after yourself in a basic way.
Please read what I said about teachers having to adhere to a dress code in most schools.

If you cannot even do that, then how can a teacher be expected to teach the next generation and state that you are an example of self sufficient person ?
Please see above. Edited by aliceBB

Other professions who wear uniforms usually have a practical reason for doing so - e.g. the Army, so the enemy knows who to attack; in a hospital, it helps patients identify who is who. That is not a problem in schools. You know who are children and who are teachers.

Agreed,

So what's the uniform for?

Please read what I said in #24 in #37 about how teachers do set an example.

Please read what I said about teachers having to adhere to a dress code in most schools.

Please see above.

If that is the case, then I do not understand why you mentioned that teachers will be treated as 15 year olds. I do not understand the reason behind your comment here. WHO is treating teachers as 15 year olds, and HOW ? I apologise beforehand if I have misconstrued something, as I did not understand that particular statement about being treated like 15 year olds.

Edited by salsafan

Agreed,

So what's the uniform for?

I have often wondered; it's why I started the thread.

School Heads will tell you that it is to instil a sense of pride and loyalty, to foster equality and to ensure the school's image in the community is not damaged by the scruffy appearance of its pupils.

Parents will tell you that it is to avoid arguments at home and to prevent bullying at school.

Pupils will tell you either that it is a means of humiliating and repressing them for no particular reason, or they don't know/care. They generally don't like it, but being allowed wearing their own clothes would be even more stressful.

I can see all the arguments.

---------- Post added 30-01-2014 at 00:47 ----------

If that is the case, then I do not understand why you mentioned that teachers will be treated as 15 year olds. I do not understand the reason behind your comment here. WHO is treating teachers as 15 year olds, and HOW ? I apologise beforehand if I have misconstrued something, as I did not understand that particular statement about being treated like 15 year olds.

Perhaps I didn't put that very well.

Most adults (Heads, teachers and parents) tend to believe that if 15 year olds were not required to wear a uniform or at least obey a dress code, a significant number (enough to waste a lot of staff time) would come to school dressed inappropriately* for formal working environment, especially as not all of them want to be there in the first place. (*That may or may not be the case - I cannot comment, as I've never worked in a school where uniform was abandoned). It's part of the hierarchical disciplinary structure of most schools. The people in power tell the people who have less power what to do. This includes what to wear.

I don't think it's appropriate for teachers to have to wear a uniform; a formal dress code is sufficient. Teachers do get pulled up occasionally for looking scruffy but most can be relied upon to be professional.

Edited by aliceBB

If I'm honest, I don't care as much as I used to. I resisted the introduction of uniform at both my children's schools - they were instituted on the flimsiest parent consultations I have ever seen, and neither board of governors was able or willing to justify the decision. I suspect aspirational parents pushed it through because of the private school associations. I'm only surprised it wasn't boaters and blazers, which would be preferable to the dull, anonymous, polo shirt and sweatshirt combo in invariably vile colours no human would willingly choose to wear. Some uniforms are so non-uniform that there's little point to them anyway, Carterknowle juniors being a good example near me.

Neither of my children have ever had a problem deciding what to wear, and aren't bothered by labels or designer logos in the slightest.

My problems with School uniforms, especially for younger children, are that they aren't particularly suitable for school - not hardwearing or protective enough, lots of artificial fibre, and inappropriate in any kind of season other than late spring.

I'm pleased that High Storrs is a uniform free school, part of the reason for my eldest choosing it, long may it remain that way.

High Storrs is also a good school, much more important than whether they wear a uniform or not.

High Storrs is also a good school, much more important than whether they wear a uniform or not.

Ah, now ask my sister-in-law and she will tell you that a straw boater is the only reliable indicator of 'a good school'...

(She's wrong, but try telling her!)