To the increasing number of drivers who think fog lights are daytime..

I know sidelights aren't as bright as dipped lights, that's kind of my point. Running with your dipped lights for the purpose of being seen by others is overkill.

I actually find it much easier to see and accurately judge the speed and direction of a car with just sidelights on than one with dipped beams on because there is much lower glare from the sidelights.

Secondly, the dazzle from oncoming dipped lights, (poorly adjusted and those who insist on running with just one working dipped light resulting in a much brighter bulb are even worse) can quite easily hide a pedestrian or cyclist (especially when they insist on wearing a slimming dark colour!)

Thirdly, dipped lights illuminate the area directly infront of your vehicle very brightly,, this causes a marked contrast between the well-lit foreground and the comparatively much darker background, what you get is a great view of the bit of road right in front of you, but much worse view further down the road. When you can see the bit of road infront of your car sufficiently well to drive safely without dipped lights I don't see what added benefit they bring?

Try it and see for yourself. The only downside I find is the occasional numpty who thinks that blinding me with their main beam is in anyway going to help the situation. (as an aside, if you must flash your lights to say thankyou at night, try doing the opposite and flicking your dipped lights off for a split second. same message, less blindness :))

Edited by NightFlight

My fog lights turn on when ever I turn a corner if my headlights are on so they are on most the time

Is your vehicle faulty?

Many cars to that to provide additional light into the corner. usually it's only one side that lights though.

Everyone seems to forget that cars are not the only road users. Sure daytime running lights make the car ore visible, but also make it harder to see the pedestrians and cyclists for example. Seriously, if you cannot see a ton of metal moving down a road during daytime then having some lights stuck on it is hardly going to make a difference is it?

But you can't ignore the fact that, in almost 4 out of 10 crashes, "looked but not seen" is one of the stated contributory factors noted on the Police's (Stats19) form.

Lights help to avoid SMIDSY and it's not a bad idea for drivers, riders and pedestrians to be more than aware of this and have a plan to see and be seen. Effective lighting plays a part in this. Parking lights aren't particularly effective in many contexts - they allow for little or no around-the-corner reflections in windows or light bounce off the tarmac under parked cars. DRL's are much better.

SMIDSY comes in various forms:

- didn't see (the road, the cyclist) through the metal of vehicle's frame

- didn't see because my positioning at the junction made it difficult (and I never consider squaring up at the junction in order to see better)

- didn't see because I didn't physically stop at the STOP line

- situational blindness (there's never been a car/cyclist at that point before); I'm in a hurry and had a quick look ...)

- scanned right and left but blind to the bit in the middle (the saccade)

- scanned for the big things that will hurt me not for the smaller things that I will hurt (psychological selfishness)

- looked just once and missed seeing the car at 30 metres from me that happened to be in my eye's blind spot (punctum caecum)

- didn't check into my blind spot before changing lateral road position or lane

- and probably a few more SMIDSY contexts that, altogether, suggest we are almost built not to see.

Edited by DT Ralge

Many cars to that to provide additional light into the corner. usually it's only one side that lights though.

I'm aware of a few with directional headlights that turn into a corner, but I've never heard of one that turns on additional lights whenever you turn the wheel...

I'm aware of a few with directional headlights that turn into a corner, but I've never heard of one that turns on additional lights whenever you turn the wheel...

Yes they exist and have done for quite a few years now http://www.renault.co.uk/safety/innovationtech/prevent/corneringlight/

Constituting reduced visibility especially if your throwing up spray

Again what about the gallons of water thrown up by the tyres , use of ' Fog Lights' increases your vehicles visibility to following drivers.

Completely disagree!!! I drive on the snake pass everyday and it really winds me up, the people who turn the fog light on just because its dark!!! (people like you I presume)

if the spray from tyres is distracting you, you're too close to the person in front:rant::rant:

Completely disagree!!! I drive on the snake pass everyday and it really winds me up,

Don't do it then

the people who turn the fog light on just because its dark!!!

Who said anything about it just being dark?

people like you I presume

Wrong again

if the spray from tyres is distracting you, you're too close to the person in front:rant::rant

Does that include overtaking lorries on motorways kicking out spray into the adjacent lane?

It's not the spray that is the concern , it's if the spray is obscuring anything a bit more solid which could be more easily seen and from a greater distance if high intensity lighting was being used (not just waiting until break lights come on).

If thinking about your driving conditions then pushing a button if required and pushing again when not required to safeguard yourself and others is too much trouble.......

If the road is wet then fog lights will reflect on it & dazzle oncoming drivers, same if you're going over the brow of a hill, that is why they're illegal to use in all but the thickest fog. They're pointed down towards the road. You don't put them on because it's raining, it's dangerous & illegal. Rear fog lights should be banned.

If the road is wet then fog lights will reflect on it & dazzle oncoming drivers, same if you're going over the brow of a hill, that is why they're illegal to use in all but the thickest fog. They're pointed down towards the road. You don't put them on because it's raining, it's dangerous & illegal. Rear fog lights should be banned.

You're right, right up to the last sentence which is where you went a bit wrong.

Rear fog lights shouldn't be banned. Drivers who misuse them should be banned.

Completely disagree!!! I drive on the snake pass everyday and it really winds me up,

Don't do it then

Live in Sheffield, work in glossop!!!

the people who turn the fog light on just because its dark!!!

Who said anything about it just being dark?

Wrong again

Does that include overtaking lorries on motorways kicking out spray into the adjacent lane?

It's not the spray that is the concern , it's if the spray is obscuring anything a bit more solid which could be more easily seen and from a greater distance if high intensity lighting was being used (not just waiting until break lights come on).

If thinking about your driving conditions then pushing a button if required and pushing again when not required to safeguard yourself and others is too much trouble.......

Fog lights should only be used in fog, hence there name!