To the increasing number of drivers who think fog lights are daytime..

The police are worse than the fog light flouters. God only knows why they have their high beam flash on and off blinding you when they're responding to an emergency, it's not like you can't see/hear their blues and two's. :/

The headlights don't flash on main beam the flash on dipped and if the headlights are turned on, they don't flash at all.

Fog lights also only work if you turn your main lights off.

The whole point of them is that they undercut the fog, whereas normal ones reflect back off the cloud at you.

What nonsense! Never have I had a car with factory fitted front fogs that have turned the headlamps off when activating them.

In some of the cars they wouldn't turn ON unless the dipped beam was active.

I don't see what the problem is, what does it matter if someone has fog lights on during the daytime? :confused:

If it is raining hard or foggy you should use fog lights, if these dazzle someone in the rain & fog then either they are mal-adjusted (the lights, not the driver) or the person being dazzled is too close to the car in front, in the case of rear fogs.

If you use rear fogs in the dark but no rain or fog then you contravene the rule you mention.

You don't use them in rain UNLESS it's severely heavy rain.

As you pointed out, front fog lamps are adjust to point downward. On a wet surface that light is going to reflect off that wet surface thus dazzling other road users.

I think you should go spend some more time with a driving instructor. It's evident that you're lacking the most basic of driving knowledge.

I don't see what the problem is, what does it matter if someone has fog lights on during the daytime? :confused:

Why would you want them on? Its neither cool nor needed.Maybe buying a better car would be a better way of getting attention.The attention grabbers complain when they get the wrong attention and it costs them :)

With recent weather the road are wet and shiny. The light beam reflects and dazzles.

Where on earth have you got that from?

Main beam have a tendency to reflect back less so with dipped headlights

Old wisdom handed down the generations.

Next time you are in one of those pea-soupers out on the Woodhead, try it. It's pretty miraculous the difference.

Old wisdom handed down the generations.

Next time you are in one of those pea-soupers out on the Woodhead, try it. It's pretty miraculous the difference.

Hardly,takes a split second to find out :)

You don't use them in rain UNLESS it's severely heavy rain.

As you pointed out, front fog lamps are adjust to point downward. On a wet surface that light is going to reflect off that wet surface thus dazzling other road users.

I think you should go spend some more time with a driving instructor. It's evident that you're lacking the most basic of driving knowledge.

I see what's happened here.

I started talking about being dazzled by rear fogs in response to post 9 in post 14, and I quoted a section from the Highway Code in post 18

Clearly I was right, you can use front or rear fogs in foggy or wet weather, it's obvious that if you are using front fogs in the wet you should switch back to headlights in the face of oncoming traffic, this takes care of the "don't dazzle" point raised by Resident in post 21. I never said otherwise. I stand by what I say about being dazzled by rear fogs.

"Severely heavy rain." isn't mentioned in the section of the highway code I quoted, "adverse weather conditions" are. This phrase is of course open to interpretation.

I do not need to spend time with a driving instructor, all I've done is quote from the highway code! Personally I would not use front fogs when it is wet, and I would not use rear fogs inappropriately, and have never said anything to the contrary.

Your final comment was unjustified, but typical for this forum I suppose.

I agree with you ryder8904 it seems more and more drivers are using

their fog or spot lights during good daylight conditions.

Another trend are the illegal number plates mainly private plates, but worse

of all is texting or making calls when driving.

Nobody gives a sh-- even the Police.

Can I just point out that fog lights are not to aid your ability to see in the fog. They are there so you can be seen when visibility is low by other road users. To say you don't use them in rain isn't necessarily correct, it's all about visibility. If you can see the car in from a distance you are comfortable with that you can avoid them if they suddenly stop then you don't need them on. Spray on the motorway from rain is one example where visibility can be very low without fog and you might need to use them. Use bit of common sense, don't put them on when there's very light fog and visibility is good like some people automatically do. Do put them on if you can't see the car in front from a safe distance.

My car has driving lights beneath the headlights. I don't have the option of switching them off.