To the increasing number of drivers who think fog lights are daytime..

^^

I know - it's just that Resident seems keen on quoting the Highway Code

Actually, you originally quoted the highway code or at least a carefully selected section to try to prove your point that fog lights don't dazzle. All I did was pull you up on your selective-ness and quoted all of it, which just happened to show you were wrong.

But since you need some form of quote regarding the requirements of a rear fog:

This inspection applies to the one rear fog lamp which is required to be fitted to the centre or offside of vehicles first used on or after 1 April 1980

Note: A rear fog lamp is permitted to operate independently of headlamp, position lamp or ignition systems.

A rear fog lamp is not required to be fitted to vehicles used only during the hours of daylight, which are fitted with neither front nor rear position lamps, etc.

You shouldn't use rear fogs if there is traffic behind you, you use them in foggy conditions to make yourself more visible to cars coming up behind you. Once there is someone behind you should turn them off to avoid dazzling.

It's extremely rare for it to rain so hard you need rear fogs on, they are far more over used than they are under used.

As for front fogs, anyone who uses them in the daytime or in clear night time conditions is doing it because they think it makes their car look good. It doesn't.

well said that man!

Actually, you originally quoted the highway code or at least a carefully selected section to try to prove your point that fog lights don't dazzle. All I did was pull you up on your selective-ness and quoted all of it, which just happened to show you were wrong.

But since you need some form of quote regarding the requirements of a rear fog:

I didn't mean to quote the Highway Code to prove that fog lights don't dazzle, and I'm not sure which post you're referring to.

Thanks for quoting from the MOT tester's book (a passage I'm familiar with) - I would respectfully point out that in post 43 you said that "All cars on UK roads must have a red rear fog lamp." which is wrong. Now in post 49 you contradict that with the correct information. Perhaps you shouldn't really criticise other people?

---------- Post added 29-01-2014 at 22:58 ----------

You shouldn't use rear fogs if there is traffic behind you, you use them in foggy conditions to make yourself more visible to cars coming up behind you. Once there is someone behind you should turn them off to avoid dazzling.

It's extremely rare for it to rain so hard you need rear fogs on, they are far more over used than they are under used.

As for front fogs, anyone who uses them in the daytime or in clear night time conditions is doing it because they think it makes their car look good. It doesn't.

All true, although the bit I've emboldened is more out of courtesy, as I said earlier, if you're close enough to be dazzled by rear fogs in bad weather then you're too close.

Oh, I dunno. I find the rear fog particularly handy for the muppets who like to drive around on full beam all night. You'll find a lot of them don't mind blinding you but are a bit mythed at why you would want to blind them.

the difference is depending on when the driver decides to switch them on in the first place. and in many cases its far too early!

Oh, I dunno. I find the rear fog particularly handy for the muppets who like to drive around on full beam all night. You'll find a lot of them don't mind blinding you but are a bit mythed at why you would want to blind them.

I've got a dipping mirror to cope with that. No point in antagonising said muppet, he's just as likely to get even closer in retaliation and if you have to stop quickly then there's a crash. His fault, but you don't want "It Wasn't My Fault" engraving on your tombstone!

I suspect most collisions are caused by two muppets.

most likely not full beam, just badly adjusted headlights due to the driver not altering them to suit the weight onboard, i.e using the little roller with numbers on.....yes, thats what it's for!

I've got a dipping mirror to cope with that. No point in antagonising said muppet, he's just as likely to get even closer in retaliation and if you have to stop quickly then there's a crash. His fault, but you don't want "It Wasn't My Fault" engraving on your tombstone!

I suspect most collisions are caused by two muppets.

Hmmmm, not sure...I've often found it makes them realise their mistake and turn them off, but you can pretty much guarantee they'll almost always back off. Not that the initial point was them being to close anyway...PS, a bit sexist?

I didn't mean to quote the Highway Code to prove that fog lights don't dazzle, and I'm not sure which post you're referring to.

Thanks for quoting from the MOT tester's book (a passage I'm familiar with) - I would respectfully point out that in post 43 you said that "All cars on UK roads must have a red rear fog lamp." which is wrong. Now in post 49 you contradict that with the correct information. Perhaps you shouldn't really criticise other people?

Name one car, road legal & available now on the UK market that doesn't have one.

The part regarding cars not fitted with any lights, for daytime usage only is pretty much irrelevant. I'm in my 30s and I've never come across one.

That kind of pedantry only comes from those that can't prove their point and/or know they're wrong but refuse to admit it.

I find that for the few seconds that fog lights are coming towards me it does not really affect me.

If it did and it affected my driving I would slow down.

I have to disagree with you, I think they do look cool

As for rear fog lights they are the most useless thing ever, if fog is so bad that you can't see a car in front with regular lights on your normally going so slow to see where the road goes that the chance of a rear end collision is massively unlikely