To the increasing number of drivers who think fog lights are daytime..

My car has driving lights beneath the headlights. I don't have the option of switching them off.

Those are Day running lights.

Hate to be blonde again but where are your front fog lights as I thought there was only a fog light on the back

I really dont mind what light arrangement people opt to use provided they use some. Every morning i see oblivious bleary eyed motorists driving ninja style down Fulwood Road. Its winter, its dark, put some lights on!

Old wisdom handed down the generations.

Next time you are in one of those pea-soupers out on the Woodhead, try it. It's pretty miraculous the difference.

Having driven for over 40 years I have done on many occasions also on the A1 prior to the upgrading and having to go by the cats eyes in the middle of the road when you could only see one at a time. It is not one I particularly like as fog has a disorientating effect particularly for hearing. The modern day high intensity lights ( Fog lights) are a boon if used correctly with dipped headlights. I have reservations however that nowadays some drivers cannot tell the difference between Full beam headlights, dipped headlights and side lights.

Hate to be blonde again but where are your front fog lights as I thought there was only a fog light on the back

Usually they're little spot lamps in the bottom of the front bumper.

Pic - LINK

Not all cars have front fog lights but (dare I say it?) all cars nowadays have a rear fog light (or two?)

---------- Post added 29-01-2014 at 21:36 ----------

I agree with you ryder8904 it seems more and more drivers are using

their fog or spot lights during good daylight conditions.

Another trend are the illegal number plates mainly private plates, but worse

of all is texting or making calls when driving.

Nobody gives a sh-- even the Police.

Still hoping that some of the re-spaced plate-holders will own up to being ID10 TIC TO55 ERS

Not all cars have front fog lights but (dare I say it?) all cars nowadays have a rear fog light (or two?)

All cars on UK roads must have a red rear fog lamp. It must be mounted either in the centre or towards the driver's side.

Some cars do have 2 fog lamps, one on either side though not required.

Can I just point out that fog lights are not to aid your ability to see in the fog. They are there so you can be seen when visibility is low by other road users. To say you don't use them in rain isn't necessarily correct, it's all about visibility. If you can see the car in from a distance you are comfortable with that you can avoid them if they suddenly stop then you don't need them on. Spray on the motorway from rain is one example where visibility can be very low without fog and you might need to use them. Use bit of common sense, don't put them on when there's very light fog and visibility is good like some people automatically do. Do put them on if you can't see the car in front from a safe distance.

Bit confused.

Can I just point out that fog lights are not to aid your ability to see in the fog. They are there so you can be seen when visibility is low by other road users

Are you talking about front or rear fog lights? Fronts are there so you can see in fog, they are low down, flat beams designed to have minimum reflection back at the driver. There is no question that rears (red lights pointing backwards) would have anything to do with aiding one's ability to see!

The rest of the paragraph is about rear fogs?

---------- Post added 29-01-2014 at 21:48 ----------

All cars on UK roads must have a red rear fog lamp. .........

Could you quote the Highway Code on that one?

Bit confused.

Can I just point out that fog lights are not to aid your ability to see in the fog. They are there so you can be seen when visibility is low by other road users

Are you talking about front or rear fog lights? Fronts are there so you can see in fog, they are low down, flat beams designed to have minimum reflection back at the driver. There is no question that rears (red lights pointing backwards) would have anything to do with aiding one's ability to see!

The rest of the paragraph is about rear fogs?

---------- Post added 29-01-2014 at 21:48 ----------

Could you quote the Highway Code on that one?

doesn't need highway code. its part of the M.O.T!!

^^

I know - it's just that Resident seems keen on quoting the Highway Code

^^

I know - it's just that Resident seems keen on quoting the Highway Code

i'm now confused as it is you that asked for a highway code reference. i believe it's you that needs to read it more and understand it as most of what you have said is a load of tosh. i think you need to retake your test just like many others on the road!

........most of what you have said is a load of tosh.......

Please copy & paste what you don't like and I'll try to explain further.

Edited by rtbcomp