Which is politically correct? Black people or African American?

just wondering as post has been deleted.

Maybe it was about the words and context. Ask the mods.

No just said a b/m approached me begging and followed me to the cash point

what was the mods explanation as to why they removed the thread?

Well it's only African-American if the person in question is an American.

Well it's only African-American if the person in question is an American.

And also Black :)

I don't think the black people on the forum would thank you for calling them African-American!

Mod Note

just wondering as post has been deleted.
If you have any queries such as why was my post/thread removed please contact the Helpdesk.

I've never understood this. I don't call myself an Anglo Saxon American. My husband doesn't call himself a German American. We're just American. There has to be a better way of describing people with dark soon regardless of what country they are in.

I've never understood this. I don't call myself an Anglo Saxon American. My husband doesn't call himself a German American. We're just American. There has to be a better way of describing people with dark soon regardless of what country they are in.

I think it's more about remembering their heritage and the fact they were dragged across an ocean against their wishes... I've also heard a lot of people call themselves 'Irish American' or 'Italian American' and even 'Scandinavian American'. Also because most people in America are not really 'native'... Apart from the native Americans (formerly Indians).

In my experience Americans describe themselves in terms of their origins more than Europeans. Polish Americans, Irish Americans, Italian Americans, WASPs, Hispanics, etc.

You even get people saying they're 5th generation Irish American, whatever that means.

As far as I know I'm several hundred generation British :)