Home brewed STRONG lager

how easy is it to home brew strong lager (at least 4.5%)

how long does it take.

and about how much does it end up costing per pint or per liter.

I have no idea even how to go about it I'm just wondering if it is a good idea or not.

http://www.tesco.com/direct/brewbuddy-starter-kit-lager-40-pints/207-4862.prd

The BrewBuddy home brew starter kit can help you make up to 40 pints of lager at home. Just add sugar and water, and after 4 weeks you can be enjoying pints of lager up to 4.8% ABV. This BrewBuddy kit contains all the equipment you need, including a 25 litre capacity bucket and lid, syphon, hydrometer, steriliser, bucket clip, 40-pint lager kit plus easy step-by-step instructions. All of the equipment is reusable.

http://www.the-home-brew-shop.co.uk/acatalog/Tom_Caxton_Lager_Beer_Kit.html?gclid=CPfFzf2bo7wCFQrpwgodRmEA9A#.UujdofvFLAU

http://www.the-home-brew-shop.co.uk/acatalog/Lager_Pilsner_Beer_Kits.html#.UujdofvFLAU

I do it all the time and it's great. A kit costs about 13 quid once you have the gear and makes 40 pints. Takes two weeks but tastes better if you leave it three or four

Posted from Sheffieldforum.co.uk App for Android

Did you know that it is perfectly legal for a micro-brewery to sell unfermented beer wort without charging duty? Duty only becomes payable once the yeast is added.

Those kits will work & it should be easy, might not be the greatest beer in the world on your first try. Main problem is you get 40 pints & it's hard to bottle it properly to store it.

Those kits will work & it should be easy, might not be the greatest beer in the world on your first try. Main problem is you get 40 pints & it's hard to bottle it properly to store it.

I used to use screw cap glass pop bottles....worked a treat..then I bought some proper beer bottles and a crown capper and tops..

Alternatively you can get a barrel so you don't need to worry about bottling your beer, good idea to get a valve cap for it so you can pressurise the ullage space, I got mine from Wilkinsons in town

I got my husband a beer brewing kit for Christmas and we had a taste of the first batch last weekend. It was excellent!! We need to buy a hydrometer to measure alcohol content but it was pretty strong based on how quickly I felt the effects. Now we are ready to start a new batch, just need to find some Bavarian hops as he is German and wants to make some that tastes like his hometown brew.

Its worth the investment and in the long run, cheaper than buying really good beer from the store.

Lager no, but i do brew mead. I just don't have the room for all the kit needed.

I brew dark ales using a 'kit' tin of dark malt with hops, I add extra dark roasted malts, either liquid or dry.

Now experimenting, next step is to start using malted grains to add to the mix.

I have a Theakstones Old Peculiar (clone) recipe to try next - it'll not be exact of course as it's an approximation/educated guess of the real recipe but if it's close I'll be in beer heaven :D

I once made some lager from a kit but I thought I'd make it a bit stronger so I put in twice as much sugar as normal and fermented it for donkeys. When I put the hydrometer in to test it it sunk, so I said that's ready. It tasted awful but it got you drunk on about 1/2 pint, if that's what you wanted. To be honest, kits come in 40 pints and that's too much for me before it starts to go off.

I used to use screw cap glass pop bottles....worked a treat..then I bought some proper beer bottles and a crown capper and tops..

I`ve done that in the mid 1970s Trueman. I used to use Alpine pop bottles (Don`t know if Alpine is still around & using the same bottles). I preferred them to the proper beer bottles where you tapped the crinkly cap on-always expected the bottle to break.

Alternatively you can get a barrel so you don't need to worry about bottling your beer, good idea to get a valve cap for it so you can pressurise the ullage space, I got mine from Wilkinsons in town

Are them barrels difficult to clean-out once you`ve had a brew in them?

I once made some lager from a kit but I thought I'd make it a bit stronger so I put in twice as much sugar as normal and fermented it for donkeys. When I put the hydrometer in to test it it sunk, so I said that's ready. It tasted awful but it got you drunk on about 1/2 pint, if that's what you wanted. To be honest, kits come in 40 pints and that's too much for me before it starts to go off.

That is what I used to do. Instructions said 2 pounds, so doubled it (rocket fuel lol). There is a limit though,too much suger and it won`t all ferment and you would be left with a very sweet mix.