Black panther cat seen saturday

There's supposedly a large wild cat on Saddleworth Moor. Plenty of reports from hikers AND policemen, so there must be something there.

I ALWAY HAVE AN OPEN MIND ON SUCH SIGHTINGS, as an ex resident close to crown estates in Berkshire, A rich area, with a number of animal collectors, its not imposible for these animals to escape and if kept without papers, often go missing without it being reported.

I knew a number of estate workers, who used to share their tales down the pub , yes i am going back 20 years, but one such sighting was of a Zebra !!

Imagine that crossing your path after a drink! we were also located to the then Windsor Safari Park, again escapes are possible.

the build and markings are different, jaguars are more stocky and slightly bigger and leopard markings are smaller and spottier than the jaguar ones, I just googled it BTW, at a quick glance I would guess they look the same though

Even a cougar/mountain lion, is also known as a panther or puma.Yes, a black large cat on top of a hill to an amateur, could have been any of the aforementioned cats.

---------- Post added 29-01-2014 at 20:10 ----------

I ALWAY HAVE AN OPEN MIND ON SUCH SIGHTINGS, as an ex resident close to crown estates in Berkshire, A rich area, with a number of animal collectors, its not imposible for these animals to escape and if kept without papers, often go missing without it being reported.

I knew a number of estate workers, who used to share their tales down the pub , yes i am going back 20 years, but one such sighting was of a Zebra !!

Imagine that crossing your path after a drink! we were also located to the then Windsor Safari Park, again escapes are possible.

I remember my dad telling me when i was younger, that loads of people let them loose when the excotic animal license thing came into force.

I've seen a herd of Buffalo in the Peaks.

Yes I've seen some Buffalo near chatsworth I think i seem to remember seeing them when we had lunch at the Devonshire at beeley and drove over the moors in the direction of Chesterfield ! Will go back and look for them.

Yes I've seen some Buffalo near chatsworth I think i seem to remember seeing them when we had lunch at the Devonshire at beeley and drove over the moors in the direction of Chesterfield ! Will go back and look for them.

Farm

Escapees?

A few years ago my husband and I were walking near Derwent dams we saw what we thought was a big cat the size of a panther. We were curious so moved closer slowly. It still looked very big until we got quite close and found it to be a normal black cat. Is it just the surroundings that causes an illusion?

Just to thank all those contributors who posted sensible adult comments to my original about my black panther siting in the Sandigate/Revilin valley. Disappointed this forum is consistantly spoiled by immature so called adults that post on inane no contribution comments. Where I live in the South West sitings of big cats are taken very seriously as there is danger to livestock; humans; and pets. In South rural settings the police will make a search after a report or two. Farmers are keeping watch. Big wild cats are not part of the UK indiginous wildlife so we are pretty sure they have been let loose by private ex-owners. They are able over many hundreds of miles seek out partners and experts believe they are breeding and the population growing maybe slowly be indeed growing. Many sitings maybe by credible witnesses. They have been caught on camera - still and camcoder. Spore has been found. Food sources have been found half eaten or killed. A handful of bits of dead big cats found. It will be handful because the UK population is in relative rare but they are indeed out there. Anyone who likes countryside walking generally like to see say a rare bird or say a shy animal polecat; wiesel stout. I am sure many city dwellers don't see often badgers? So rubbish reports of black cats "for a laugh" if that what gives you a thrill but many countryside flora and fauna lovers are always interested and don't poopoo reports.

Disappointed this forum is consistantly spoiled by immature so called adults that post on inane no contribution comments... (snipped)

... So rubbish reports of black cats "for a laugh" if that what gives you a thrill but many countryside flora and fauna lovers are always interested and don't poopoo reports.

I know exactly what you mean...

... some posters on here can be very catty! ;)

I know exactly what you mean...

... some posters on here can be very catty! ;)

Meow! :help:

I saw a pure black fox in stannington walking my dogs last year. Rare but not unheard of.

I saw a pure black fox in stannington walking my dogs last year. Rare but not unheard of.

Well that's certainly a well trained fox, and most definitely not unheard of now! ;)

While it is *possible* that the odd big cat might be out there the likelihood of any particular sighting being really a big cat is low and there is not much evidence of breeding populations. On the rare occasions the sightings are plausible, the animals will most likely have been lost or abandoned.

Bear in mind they would need lots of meat. When escapes happen, you notice straight away.

One important point, and it was one that has already been made but needs drawing attention to, is that it is very difficult to judge size at a distance in the absence of good reference points. People will very easily mistake a small black cat for a large black cat in those circumstances.

For example: http://www.itv.com/news/london/2012-08-27/essex-lion-search-called-off-by-police/

and http://metro.co.uk/2008/09/01/escaped-lion-was-a-stray-dog-441365/

There seems to be a theory that some big cats might have been released by their owners because of a change in the law in the 1970s. Again, a possibility, but unlikely to lead to a breeding population. And such animals do not live very long, either, so any let go in the wake of legislative changes in the 1970s would not still be alive. When there have been escapes of pets or zoo/circus animals, those animals have usually been caught quickly.

See for example: http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-essex-25091939