Npower..a bit of a tangle

That one is fairly easy.

Make a photocopy, enclose the copy with a 'salty' (;)) complaints letter referencing your latest conversation above, and send by recorded delivery.

I'll never say it and post it enough on here and elsewhere: in this type of situations, always use hardcopies sent by recorded delivery, so you have court-grade evidence of what was sent to whom and received when.

Thanks Loob.

They've been emailed a scanned copy with a very detailed letter of complaint. If I don't get a response this week, it will be forwarded to the ombudsman.

get the regulators involved

---------- Post added 14-08-2014 at 08:35 ----------

regulator needs to be involved

Well, I hadn't heard anything, not even an email receipt, so I called again today. Using the executive complaints email address seems to have done some good, as I now have a named person and a direct number for them, who is dealing with the issue. She still wants to charge me, despite the letter from customer services, which wrote off the outstanding money. The ombudsman option might still be needed......

once i had a named person it went quicker - although i still took it to the ombudsman. i only got about £30 compensation and that was after being over-charged over £1000 (they took it out of my account and wouldn't give it back). argument went on for about 6 months. was so stressful but the ombudsman said that's all people generally get and they see it all the time. i spent well over £30 in phone calls let alone time :(

once i had a named person it went quicker - although i still took it to the ombudsman. i only got about £30 compensation and that was after being over-charged over £1000 (they took it out of my account and wouldn't give it back). argument went on for about 6 months. was so stressful but the ombudsman said that's all people generally get and they see it all the time. i spent well over £30 in phone calls let alone time :(

Flippin' heck, £1,000 isn't the sort of money most people can afford to lose hold of for 6 months. I'm glad it was resolved, even though you lost out in terms of time and stress. At least they don't actually have any of my money.

At the moment they're still trying to sort out a final electricity bill for me (not that any electricity was actually used!). I've actually had to ask them to put a hold on the account so no further bills are sent before it's all sorted out (you would have thought that would be the first thing they'd do), but I can't understand why they're even looking at sending more bills when I have a letter telling me they'd decided to write off all outstanding moneys.

---------- Post added 26-08-2014 at 18:51 ----------

Update - after a few more emails and a couple of phone calls, Npower has worked out what my bill ought to have been, but have "generously" said I don't need to pay it (where have I heard that before?). All being well, this should be the end of the matter.

Norseman, thanks for the pointer with the executive complaints email address, once I contacted them using this, things seemed to get moving.

Having just googled this an old sheffield forum thread came up (sorry wouldnt allow me to add my comment to that)

Cutting a long story short, I moved house 6 months ago and phoned npower with the final readings for the address I was leaving, all was hunky dory at this point and I settled the bill over the telephone, or so I assumed!! Turns out npower allocated all this money to the electric bill and left the gas bill unpaid, so I am in the situation where npower owe me over 300 quid on the electric bill but the gas reads that I owe them 200 quid.

Anyway completed over 30 phone calls with em since (all documented), got npower to agree an error on their part nearly every time but no action has ever been taken by them and to be frank by this point I right couldnt be bothered to go through it all again so gave up talking to em, other problems in life means this is prob a bigger stress than it really is...also if npower looked at both the gas and leccy bill as they promised numerous times they actually owe me money.

To the point of the post, just received a phone call from 0114 421 0041 which when googled turns out to be npowers debt collectors..they've obviously upped their game in relation to gas bill so I need to up mine re the whole situation, where do I go next?

In all fairness could settle the bill tonight but that would leave npower owing me even more money and its the principal of the thing

Thanks in advance for any help provided

---------- Post added 28-01-2014 at 20:03 ----------

Just for further info the excuse I keep getting is that they have updated their computer systems and my account is spread over the two..its apparently difficult to obtain info over the old system cos its all archived, worked in similar situations before and this excuse sounds all wrong!

Here is a good forum if you are having problems. I would recommend it to anyone dealing with debt collectors etc. Here is a page that might help

http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.php?t=4889266