Greaves Opticians (Rayners) Hillsborough

Just been told that they are closing down this Saturday. Shame as it has been there for many many years.

Not surprised, it's been the same since the Blonde lady left. I always used them and the last time they gave me wrong prescription

Does anyone know how long it has been on Hillsborough? To me it seems to have been there for many many years.

I've heard most of the customers have transferred to Martin Johnsons across the road.

Its been there at least 30 years. They closed due to oing out of business or retirement? They were fine when I used them but that was ages ago.

The whole group has recently been purchased by Vision Express so it will probably have something to do with this.

It hasn't actually been the small independent 'Greaves' for quite some years - it was bought out by a national company called Rayners. I believe they themselves have now been taken over by another large nationwide company who have decided to close that particular shop.

Edited by feelinolder
spelling mistake

Well I hope there arent compulsory redundancies.

I remember the shop from about 1958. At that time Miss Greaves was the optician. The receptionist was a lady of about the same age (50's) by the name of Mrs Kit Whiteley. I seem to remeber that they were both keen golf players at Hillsborough Golf Club. Never went again due to moving a few years later to Driffield in East Yorkshire. Now living in Malaysia since 2006

Grey Eminence - Wangsa Baiduri - Malaysia

If it's shut down, why have I not been told? Had text to pick up my contacts this week, a letter to remind me to book an appt for an eye exam, but nothing for this.

Is there anyone that uses Greaves on here that know it's closing?

I hope their awesome barometer in the window finds a good home.

It was one specially made for for the shop back before the war.