Magistrates court for ESA tribunal- access

My ESA tribunal is at the magistrates court tomorrow. I have just phoned, they have no disabled parking. They suggested my husband dropped me off at the kerb and I walked in. Does anyone know how far it is into the building as going over a bridge has been discussed. Thanks.

Quite a way down an incline then over the bridge....through security then down a long corridor to the lift down to the courts they use. If they are anything like the ones I had then they make a great point of asking you how you got there......did you have to stop and rest etc.

Whilst there perhaps you could take them to court for showing disabled prejudice.

*mod hat off, advice hat on*

How mobile *are* you, just out of curiosity? Access could be difficult, be warned!

It's a LONG way, from the bus stops, or where an ordinary car is permitted to drive.

The area around the old Castle House Co-oOp (opposite the path to the courthouse) is all a bus/taxi area, only.

The path at the top of the bridge has vehicle access, but only for police vehicles. There's a barrier across so you can't drive down it and get close enough to drop a disabled passenger off nearby.

You can see the bridge in this photograph from Google maps

https://maps.google.co.uk/?ll=53.384523,-1.465969&spn=0.000589,0.002393&t=h&z=19&layer=c&cbll=53.384523,-1.465969&panoid=uiQPoj76vUltnMQmCwAkJA&cbp=11,55.64,,2,4.71

The ramp starts, up by the mural of the steelworker, and goes down to the concrete building behind the police headquarters (the building in red brick, in the foreground)

Unless you have a wheelchair or the like... (preferably powered) the slope till you get to the level bit of the bridge itself is a proper pain in the backside.

When you get through the courthouse doors at the end of the bridge, there's a big metal detector box, like you find at airports, to go through. (if you have a pacemaker or ICD defibrillator/ similar device fitted, do NOT go through this, as it can affect them) The security guard will let you go round the detector, and will search you and your bags. (as I have a pacemaker, I had to do all this when I went for my tribunal).

You will then be directed to the lifts, and you go down, into the basement level, where the "courtrooms" for the tribunals are. There are chairs, in a waiting area, outside. By which time I am sure that you will have need of them!!!

The staff are quite friendly in the tribunal centre, and the chair of the tribunal I had to attend was very reassuring and kind, so don't be daunted. Just state the facts of your case, as clearly as you can, when it's your turn to speak.. The DWP didn't even turn up to MY tribunal. I won my appeal, thank goodness.

I hope your tribunal goes as well as possible for you, Yellowrose, and that it's all sorted out.

Hope everything tuned out okay for you.

A friend of mine has to go through this tomorrow and we dont think shell get through it :/

My ESA tribunal is at the magistrates court tomorrow. I have just phoned, they have no disabled parking. They suggested my husband dropped me off at the kerb and I walked in. Does anyone know how far it is into the building as going over a bridge has been discussed. Thanks.

As PT says, there are bollards. You could ask the Magistrates staff to let them down so you can get dropped off right at the footbridge if it will be a problem going down that slope.

You should also let the tribunal service know - they are a completely different office (in Leeds) and just use the Magistrates' court as a venue.