Sheffield lagging behind in job creation.

Do you imagine all businesses manufacture widgets and don't trade with local people?

Of course not... where did I say that..? You didn't answer my question...

Of course not... where did I say that..? You didn't answer my question...

Perhaps you should have read the post to which you were replying.

Quote:

Originally Posted by RutlandFlyer

It comes down to money, basically. When people are setting up businesses or looking to invest they look at things like per household income and Sheffield's is probably the lowest of any British city of its size. Low incomes mean low disposable incomes, mean more money to be made in Leeds or York or Nottingham.

I don't get this..why would low income stop a manufacturing business from setting up here? It's not as though they'll be selling their "widgets" to people on the high street..

_______

Perhaps you should have read the post to which you were replying.

Quote:

Originally Posted by RutlandFlyer

It comes down to money, basically. When people are setting up businesses or looking to invest they look at things like per household income and Sheffield's is probably the lowest of any British city of its size. Low incomes mean low disposable incomes, mean more money to be made in Leeds or York or Nottingham.

I don't get this..why would low income stop a manufacturing business from setting up here? It's not as though they'll be selling their "widgets" to people on the high street..

_______

I asked why would that stop a manufacturing company from setting up...I'd have thought a low wage environment would be just the place to set up a manufacturing business..isn't that why a lot of it went offshore?

I asked why would that stop a manufacturing company from setting up...I'd have thought a low wage environment would be just the place to set up a manufacturing business..isn't that why a lot of it went offshore?

It would depend what you are manufacturing. Some manufacturers make a retail end product.

Mind you I wouldn't want to set up a manufacturing business round Sheffield anyhow. The workforce is still living in the shadow of Scargill. You only have to read the attitudes on this forum to realise that setting up in business and bringing jobs to Sheffield would brand you as a toff who should be taxed out of existence. Why set up here when the world is out there.

You can manufacture in parts of the country where they don't burn Thatcher effigies in the street, or better still in eastern Europe where you can set up shop with a guaranteed no strike agreement.

Edited by barpen

Ask a lot of southerners and I'll guarantee at least half will think Liverpool is bigger than Sheffield. More will think Leeds is bigger than Sheffield. We know that's bobbins but it boils down to perceptions.

Its all academic really as bigger doesn't necessarily mean better or more prosperous.

Liverpool may be smaller but its one of the UK's leading docks. Even Birkenhead, just a small town, has a sizeable port and lots of seafaring activity.

It would depend what you are manufacturing. Some manufacturers make a retail end product.

Mind you I wouldn't want to set up a manufacturing business round Sheffield anyhow. The workforce is still living in the shadow of Scargill. You only have to read the attitudes on this forum to realise that setting up in business and bringing jobs to Sheffield would brand you as a toff who should be taxed out of existence. Why set up here when the world is out there.

You can manufacture in parts of the country where they don't burn Thatcher effigies in the street, or better still in eastern Europe where you can set up shop with a guaranteed no strike agreement.

I don't disagree with your points here...I don't think a lot of Sheffielders help themselves..

I don't disagree with your points here...I don't think a lot of Sheffielders help themselves..

Indeed. The image South Yorkshire sends out to the world.

https://www.google.co.uk/search?q=burning+thatcher+effigies&client=firefox-a&hs=32C&rls=org.mozilla:en-US:official&tbm=isch&tbo=u&source=univ&sa=X&ei=Mg_pUvyMJYfe7AaA5YGoBg&ved=0CFQQsAQ&biw=1280&bih=900#facrc=_&imgdii=_&imgrc=sjkIbCBnUzTIBM%253A%3BBHc-FaZfSe7U0M%3Bhttp%253A%252F%252Fwww.thestar.co.uk%252Fwebimage%252F1.5602092.1366531960!%252Fimage%252F1453976785.jpg_gen%252Fderivatives%252FarticleImgDeriv_628px%252F1453976785.jpg%3Bhttp%253A%252F%252Fwww.thestar.co.uk%252Fnews%252Flocal%252Fsouth-yorks-thatcher-funeral-party-repulsive-1-5602093%3B628%3B443

A bunch of unwashed louts paying their respects to the recently deceased in front of a load of derelict houses. Investors are hardly likely to fly in from Saudi to see for themselves. Would you bother travelling to Ramallah to see if it was a place to invest?

The caption says it all "South Yorks Thatcher funeral party 'repulsive'. Effigy burning in Goldthorpe. Published on the 21 April 2013 09:12. Published 21/04/2013 09:12"

Do you imagine all businesses manufacture widgets and don't trade with local people?

If selling to locals is a primary concern, then the chances are that it's a business being created by locals.

If it's a business considering 'which' city to setup in, then it will almost certainly be selling nationally.

On of the key issues is that Sheffield has a very small city centre compared to other cities e.g. Newcastle, Leeds, Manchester so it lacks accessibility. It is a very sprawling city and there is a definite north-south divide within the city itself.

I find it a charming place though. I've been here since university in 2005 and would not consider moving back down south. I've always had a job here, you just have to be willing to look gard for work and to not rely on the jobcentre (I won't even go into that rant).

But we have parks, open spaces, theatres, shops, so many restaurants etc. Housing is far cheaper up here than down south.

We are lucky in our own way.

1. Cyclone possibly DWP, but I dont know how many they employ. Would have to be 5000+ to make it on the list and a lot of the functions for DWP are located in other parts of the country like Newcastle and Hull.

2. There is an assumption on people talking about businesses relocating about the type of businesses. A financial services business has needs very different from heavy manufacturing.

Adding to sheffstealths list.

l) Availability of skilled workforce. Whilst we have a high number of graduates, then a lo of those will head for the bright lights.

ii) Incentives. Unsure whether sheffield can offer any incentives greater than other regions? I dont think we qualify for European fynding any more for being a deprived area? Money talks.

iii) Size of market i.e being located in the same market as your established competitors. In some situations you wnat to be as far away from some competitors, but in others it is an advantage to be in an established and expanding market because you can interact more easily, people are more willing to set up business and you can recruit. This would be the ase in terms of why Leeds has a much larger and more developed financial services market.

iv) Which was the last major employer to locate in Sheffield? Sky? And that is in terms of call centres, which are low paid etc.

On of the key issues is that Sheffield has a very small city centre compared to other cities e.g. Newcastle, Leeds, Manchester so it lacks accessibility. It is a very sprawling city and there is a definite north-south divide within the city itself.

I find it a charming place though. I've been here since university in 2005 and would not consider moving back down south. I've always had a job here, you just have to be willing to look gard for work and to not rely on the jobcentre (I won't even go into that rant).

But we have parks, open spaces, theatres, shops, so many restaurants etc. Housing is far cheaper up here than down south.

We are lucky in our own way.

Feel free to tell me to mind my own business but is your job(s) been in the public or private sector and is it relevant to your degree? :)

Just wondering what a relatively recent graduate is doing here!

If it's a business considering 'which' city to setup in, then it will almost certainly be selling nationally.

On the contrary. People set up businesses where they can obtain the raw materials to do the job, and have the facilities to move their product. Hence very few engineering businesses set up on Lundy. I suppose a total idiot might not consider such matters and start building narrow boats on the Isle of Man or UPVC double glazing in the middle of the Peak District National Park.