Sheffield lagging behind in job creation.

You've contradicted yourself there. You're saying we need a motorway to get money to places like the west of Sheffield and then admit that area already has loads of money. In any case do you really think the residents of Dore, Totley, Millhouses, Fulwood and Ranmoor want a motorway through their area?

An orbital motorway will go round the dores totleys etc. That's where people want to live, but they won't work there. I'd get pretty fed commuting from there every day as it stands. Let's say I've a head office I want to set up in Sheffield - I'm probably going to set it up in the centre or east/north of the city, certainly if I'm sending anything from it. But now all my managers who might live in dore etc have a horrible commute. I haven't looked into who the top 5 or top 10 employers are in Sheffield but I suspect that the universities and Nhs will feature highly. If Sheffield is remotely good for business I'm sure we could rattle off half dozen big plcs employing lots of highly trained workers.

Do you think that workers in Sheffield who throw away technology will compete any better with workers in China and Eastern Europe who don't?

personally I would suggest that people reduce their hours to 25 or 30 a week so everybody has more time to enjoy life and you don't get one half working overtime and the other lot unemployed.

If you have 1000 labour hours and 50 people why get half workink 40 hours and other half doing nothing? Then start saying there is not enough work? No there are too many greedy people wanting everything for themselves.

Sheffield Teaching Hospitals employ15k people so surely they are one of the largest employers. The combined universities can't be far behind.

That's public sector jobs. The public sector is shrinking because we can't afford it. Sheffield doesn't need more graduates. It needs entrepreneurs to set up business to create jobs, there's no shortage of graduates to fill them. Likewise sheffield needs folks with vocational skills. You don't need a degree to work an NC machine.

I own a recruitment company based in Sheffield - we have been trading for almost 25 years mainly work in the manufacturing sector and have never been busier. Current permanent roles we are looking to fill are:

Administration Apprentice

CAD Technician

Multiskilled Maintenence Engineer

Continuous Improvement manager

Continuous Improvement Co-Ordinator

Patent Administrator

Russian Speaking Sales Administrator

Japanese Sales Person

IT Manager

Management Accountant

Mechanical Design Engineer

All of these roles are NEW JOBS because the manufacturing companies I work for are growing.

These are highly automated companies, but machinery does need people to design it, build it, run, service and constantly improve it so that the company can compete on an international playing field. And this is what local manufacturing companies with strong leaders are doing.

Leeds, contrary to popular belief also has a strong manufacturing sector. What they also have is the finance and insurance jobs, and an airport. They are also run by a Labour council.

I get the impression that Sheffield once took risks but got their fingers burnt and now just "play it safe".

However, someone once posted that Sheffield retains the highest number of university graduates, so it must be doing something right?

But that's where our (and everywhere else) graduates go. So that's where the skills are so that's where the big companies have they're head offices (regardless of the massive costs) and because the big companies are down there that's where the graduates go. It's been that way for years, only made worse since the demise of traditional heavy and manufacturing industries all over the north. Some places have found a niche. Sheffield has clung in to its steel heritage but it doesn't employ many people.

Out of interest, who are sheffields top 5 employers in terms of size? Anyone know?

You've got the chicken and the egg backwards, graduates go wherever they can get a job, if companies were hiring here then the graduates would stay (we do actually have a high retention rate as it is).

We dont have a very progressive council.

More concerned with community centres & cycle paths.

If anything, from the evidence ive seen, SCC discourage investment by making it very difficult for big business to set up in the city.

However, someone once posted that Sheffield retains the highest number of university graduates, so it must be doing something right?

But only if it is true. It was the sort of thing they bandied about when Sheffield had one university and about 8000 students. Fast forward 40 years to 2 universities and student numbers of around 35000 and I don't think the same is true unless you coun't the 2 graduates who are working behind the bar in my local boozer.

It's possible but how much would commuting to London by HS2 cost? What they'd save on housing costs they'll start to lose in travel costs.

There's no way on Earth that travelling on HS2 would outweigh the reduction in housing costs.

http://www.londonpropertywatch.co.uk/avg_prices.html

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/shared/spl/hi/in_depth/uk_house_prices/html/cg.stm

There's no way on Earth that travelling on HS2 would outweigh the reduction in housing costs.

http://www.londonpropertywatch.co.uk/avg_prices.html

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/shared/spl/hi/in_depth/uk_house_prices/html/cg.stm

It might if you worked in Birmingham. Or if you worked in London but your wife worked in Leeds. But I think the idea of HS2 is to allow business people to get to London quicker rather than commute daily.

Edited by emma royd

A friend has just been made redundant after 18 years for same place.

What they give her to compensate is insulting, the amount is so insulting it proves again all that effort all those years is meaningless.

Most people are very greedy and selfish and keep everything for themselves. This society is a race towards something pushing and pulling others out of the way and then enjoy the look of what it gets you.

Then you get cancer or something else happens and it is all gone again ready for someone else to grab it and start fighting for it.