Sheffield lagging behind in job creation.

Sheffield struggles to get investment IMHO because of transport issues. If you live in the west of the city (where all the money is) you have to plough through it to get to to centre or m1. I can't help but think a proper orbital motorway would help immeasurably.

You've contradicted yourself there. You're saying we need a motorway to get money to places like the west of Sheffield and then admit that area already has loads of money. In any case do you really think the residents of Dore, Totley, Millhouses, Fulwood and Ranmoor want a motorway through their area?

The news report that I saw highlighted the difference between the service sector and the manufacturing sector.

They said that it was basic economics.

What do you think?

I think the same is true of Birmingham but they seem to be doing OK. I note Jaguar Landrover is taking on thousands.

Or a proper city centre?

I suppose it will all come right if Sevenstones is completed, the HS2 arrives and they they build a proper airport or provide a few decent links to regional airports. That will happen within 30 years.

My Dad suggested the other day that HS2 might just encourage more Southerners to buy cheap property up here and commute down to London, because the time involved in travelling would be reduced.

This of course would not create any jobs up here, but it would create house price inflation making it more expensive for the locals to buy property.

I'm not sure whether that is likely to happen, but I suppose it's a possibility.

Regards

Doom

There's a new report on the BBC highlighting the difference in the job market between London and the rest of the country, using Sheffield as the comparison. Does this mean Sheffield is getting a bad reputation?

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-25921563

I thought the two graduates interviewed in the Winter Garden gave a good account of themselves.

Sheffield Teaching Hospitals employ15k people so surely they are one of the largest employers. The combined universities can't be far behind.

My Dad suggested the other day that HS2 might just encourage more Southerners to buy cheap property up here and commute down to London, because the time involved in travelling would be reduced.

It's possible but how much would commuting to London by HS2 cost? What they'd save on housing costs they'll start to lose in travel costs.

---------- Post added 28-01-2014 at 09:01 ----------

It wouldn't be so bad if Sheffield had decent housing, not long back it did. Then the leaders of the city decided to destroy living standards.

What was this decent housing? Kelvin? SCC bulldozed loads of blocks of flats that no one wanted to live in unless you can name somewhere really nice where people were dragged out of kicking and screaming.

Well looking at that silly film with music from crucible and old film clips from Sheffield. You see 50 women in a room pushing buttons operating a little machine. Now a mobile phone has enough computing power to do that job of 50 women.

Soon cars are going to be auto drive and drivers will lose their job. Banks and post offices are closing and doing things online now.

Most mental and intelligent labour is taken over by development in computing. Physical jobs will be there but will only decrease, they will not increase enough even if the economy gets better.

Throw away all technology and loads of jobs and labour will come available instantly if that is what you want. You cannot have the jobs and the technology to reduce jobs then get upset unemployment is falling.

I consider this a mental illness, and people saying unemployment is a problem while encouraging them to shop online to save labour are insane.

This is because of the skills gap between manufacturing which we know about and management which we don't. Sheffield needs experienced entrepreneurs and business leaders to educate and mentor local bosses who are at their peak of experience to just keep themselves afloat.

The potential for jobs growth is there and busting to explode but there is no one to do the job of releasing it.

But that's where our (and everywhere else) graduates go. So that's where the skills are so that's where the big companies have they're head offices (regardless of the massive costs) and because the big companies are down there that's where the graduates go. It's been that way for years, only made worse since the demise of traditional heavy and manufacturing industries all over the north. Some places have found a niche. Sheffield has clung in to its steel heritage but it doesn't employ many people.

It's a vicious circle isn't it? Funny though, we are always hearing that Sheffield has the highest number of students who stay on after uni. This story has been circulating for at least 20 years as far as I know, and I'd really question it, based on the job situation, which was dire 20 years ago as well. Having said that, me, many colleagues and friends belong to that group of stayer-oners, so maybe there is something in it? Certainly, if the jobs were here, there's no shortage of talented people to take them.

One thing I have heard in relation to inward investment and recruitment, is that Sheffield has a hell of a job attracting higher end employees, and Sheffield's reputation (mis-placed on the whole) is largely to blame.

Throw away all technology and loads of jobs and labour will come available instantly if that is what you want. You cannot have the jobs and the technology to reduce jobs then get upset unemployment is falling.

I consider this a mental illness, and people saying unemployment is a problem while encouraging them to shop online to save labour are insane.

Do you think that workers in Sheffield who throw away technology will compete any better with workers in China and Eastern Europe who don't?

It's a vicious circle isn't it? Funny though, we are always hearing that Sheffield has the highest number of students who stay on after uni. This story has been circulating for at least 20 years as far as I know, and I'd really question it, based on the job situation, which was dire 20 years ago as well. Having said that, me, many colleagues and friends belong to that group of stayer-oners, so maybe there is something in it? Certainly, if the jobs were here, there's no shortage of talented people to take them.

I expect most of the graduates who stay in Sheffield will work at the local hospitals.

Now the Tories will dismantle the NHS, whether future graduates will stay in Sheffield is open to debate.

I expect most of the graduates who stay in Sheffield will work at the local hospitals.

A geology graduate working as a night porter. That sounds about right.