Sheffield lagging behind in job creation.

Salary department of my father worked 20 people.

Now it takes 2 people to do the job.

What are these 18 people doing now? Moon travel?

Nope, it is as Loob says. Sheffield makes more steel these days and of high quality, but manufacturing techniques are such that they can do it with a fraction of the manpower.

Cyclone I dont know whether the DWP employ over 5000 people. I'd be syrprised if its that many.

Loob you are one of the few sane posters on these forums.

So which Sheffield company actually makes steel as opposed to recycling scrap? Normally such a process makes rather a lot of smoke, but when I visit Sheffield and drop down from the moors I can see right across Sheffield and the only smoke seems to come from the incinerator.

I always considered steel making to be a process involving iron or iron ore as raw material rather than Toyotas. I got the impression that Sheffield no longer makes steel but just recycles it.
Nope. And it is in high, international demand.

Admittedly, whilst much of the hands-on production is in Sheffield, the companies are 'local' in anything but name, as these days owned by Indian-, US- and/or other country-based conglomerates.

I should know, my brother in law was killed at work whilst making some not so long ago :(

999tigger, thanks for the kind words.

We don't live in the steel 50's.

Today is 2014.

You are still talking as if we should live like the 50's.

So which Sheffield company actually makes steel as opposed to recycling scrap? Normally such a process makes rather a lot of smoke, but when I visit Sheffield and drop down from the moors I can see right across Sheffield and the only smoke seems to come from the incinerator.

I think the environmental rules mean that they must control the emissions from the process now...

Nope. And it is in high, international demand.

Admittedly, whilst much of the hands-on production is in Sheffield, the companies are 'local' in anything but name, as these days owned by Indian-, US- and/or other country-based conglomerates.

I should know, my brother in law was killed at work whilst making some not so long ago :(

999tigger, thanks for the kind words.

You keep saying that, but who in Sheffield actually makes steel? I know they make steel in Redcar and at Port Talbot, but I'm not aware of anyone who makes steel in Sheffield. A name and a location would help me out.

Forgemasters? Tata in Stocksbridge. make speciality high end steels. A lot of production is automated.

You keep saying that, but who in Sheffield actually makes steel? I know they make steel in Redcar and at Port Talbot, but I'm not aware of anyone who makes steel in Sheffield. A name and a location would help me out.
Allvac, President Way. Amongst others. Test your Google-Fu.

Forgemasters? Tata in Stocksbridge. make speciality high end steels. A lot of production is automated.

But are they making steel or just working steel made elsewhere?

The places I've seen just take steel and alloy it or forge it, but that's not making raw steel.

But are they making steel or just working steel made elsewhere?

The places I've seen just take steel and alloy it or forge it, but that's not making raw steel.

Ah, I must have missed the exacting character of your initial query :rolleyes:

A pointless distinction : you don't buy the raw product for building tower blocks, Boeings or Porsches.

It would have helped if you had qualified your question in the first place, rather than have us guess: making an alloy from raw steel is 'making steel' (which comes in very many different flavours indeed, each of which has to be made).

Edited by L00b

I've had both private and public sector jons. The one I'm in at the moment is public and is linked to my degree :)

Thank ye sir (you and your gold plated public sector pension ;););););):))

I'd wager that's the case for the majority in Sheffield.

You're just reinforcing my point. A business as you describe will not be primarily selling to local people. They will be shipping their product to distribution centres, and so the affluence of the local area is largely irrelevant as far as customers go.

Raw materials, a valid concern, appropriately skilled local workforce, a concern, cost of rent for facilities a concern, good communication links, a concern. Affluent local city, not a concern.

---------- Post added 30-01-2014 at 07:13 ----------

They certainly have more office space in Sheffield than HSBC do.

The two biggest being Moorfoot house and the large glass one of Hanover Way. There are multiple smaller offices, Steel City House for example and at least one down Ecclesall Road.

We have a high retention rate as already demonstrated, and it would be higher if they were being offered jobs before graduation (as is common for graduates on track to a good degree).

It would seem that the council is still heavily in debt, so possibly at a disadvantage compared to some other regions.

True, but relocations don't happen often, which was the last major employer to relocate to Manchester or Leeds?

I'm sure I read that moorfoot is used by the council now and due for demolition anyway and nothing to do with the civil service anymore. If that (and Wikipedia) is wrong and it's at capacity, they must be one of the bigger employers.

Ah, I must have missed the anal-retentive character of your initial query. It would have helped if you had qualified your question in the first place, rather than have us guess.

Which is pointless, btw: you don't buy the raw product for building tower blocks, Boeings or Porsches :rolleyes:

But someone makes it and as I asked half an hour ago "I always considered steel making to be a process involving iron or iron ore as raw material rather than Toyotas. I got the impression that Sheffield no longer makes steel but just recycles it. " it hardly seems to be anal-retentive, rather your need to change your optical prescription.

& no they don't buy raw product to make Boeings, but then the question I asked wasn't that but "Does the Steel City even make steel any more? " because I wonder why Sheffield should be known as the Steel City if it doesn't actually produce raw steel anymore. It tends to give the impression of a backward place that is living in the past on former glories.