Sheffield lagging behind in job creation.

So how many of these jobs are being advertised outside of Sheffield? ..Any advertised overseas?

They are advertised on the internet including Monster, Jobsite, & CV library. We have people applying from all over the UK and internationally.

---------- Post added 28-01-2014 at 17:35 ----------

I'm not sure that the "patent administrator" position in Debk's post is ours or the local competition's (depends how we phrased our requirement -I didn't look after that particular one- and I don't know if Debk's is one of the recruitment firms we use or not)...but FWIW, we only advertise/search locally (within 20-odd miles).

Since February 2013, we've advertised and filled 5 new full-time/full-hours jobs (a fully-badged professional, two trainees, two audiotypists) plus 2 replacements. All locals.

The Patent Administrator job is not with a law firm. It is with Gripple Ltd. We use national internet job boards for all our advertising.

Private sector? Pft!!

T'council and the gubbermint are the ones who create jobs.

Just sit back and wait for them to do it.

That's what has happened in Sheffield over the past couple of years according to the centre for cities report.

Public sector employment up. Private sector employment down.

---------- Post added 28-01-2014 at 19:03 ----------

It's possible but how much would commuting to London by HS2 cost? What they'd save on housing costs they'll start to lose in travel costs.

---------- Post added 28-01-2014 at 09:01 ----------

What was this decent housing? Kelvin? SCC bulldozed loads of blocks of flats that no one wanted to live in unless you can name somewhere really nice where people were dragged out of kicking and screaming.

On one side of the city off of the top of my head; Park Hill, Queen Mary, Arbourthorne, Norfolk Park, Scowerdons.

People were bidding on these places, and many did not want to move.

And if there were places nobody wanted to live, why didn't SCC or the ALMO reduce rents to attract people?

That's what has happened in Sheffield over the past couple of years according to the centre for cities report.

Public sector employment up. Private sector employment down.

Why has public sector employment gone up in hard times?

Because that's what dominates Sheffield economy. I still can't find our top 5 or 10 employers. Best I could find on google was a speculative 2005 thread on here and even then nothing concrete.

Because that's what dominates Sheffield economy. I still can't find our top 5 or 10 employers. Best I could find on google was a speculative 2005 thread on here and even then nothing concrete.

Top 5 would be interesting. bet its something like NHS, Council, Sheffield Uni, Sheffield Hallam, HSBC?

People won't invest here because its full of moaning Lefties.

People won't invest here because its full of moaning Lefties.

Only an idiot would say that.

People dont invest because it not an attractive place to make money for them. If they felt it was then they would invest.

Only an idiot would say that.

People dont invest because it not an attractive place to make money for them. If they felt it was then they would invest.

But isn't that because the MPs and council are dominated by a load of lefties?

Businesses are more interested in making money.

Just like Leeds then.

Top 5 would be interesting. bet its something like NHS, Council, Sheffield Uni, Sheffield Hallam, HSBC?

Department for Work and Pensions.

---------- Post added 29-01-2014 at 07:19 ----------

People still seem to be under this impression, like I said, this was being said 20 years ago (at least), and is still quoted, but no-one seems to be able to back it up with anything concrete. I'd be surprised if it's true now, indeed if it ever was, given the limited graduate opportunities here.

ps Sorry Cyclone, I've just seen the link you posted, thanks for that. Not sure how convincing the data is though, it would be good to see how Sheffield compares with other cities for student retention. I've plenty of anecdotal evidence for graduates staying on, but I've struggled to believe it's on such a big scale. Happy for it to be confirmed though! It would indicate that if so many students are staying on, a lot of them will be taking low paid work and looking for better job opportunities, which might explain why average earnings for Sheffield graduates aren't as high as comparable universities.

You're probably right, at least for the past few years.

I know a number of trainee doctors who do what they can to get work back in this area, they're reasonably paid of course, but I also know a number of graduates doing minimum wage work.

It's pretty common to hear that they really like Sheffield though, and even the ones that leave (and I know plenty of those as well) would have stayed if they hadn't found appropriate work elsewhere.

---------- Post added 29-01-2014 at 07:21 ----------

Last time you were in hospital were you tended by a doctor with a degree in geology?

I thought not.

How about one with a degree in history, or Latin, French, politics, economics, mechanical engineering or civil engineering. No.

I thought not.

I think you will find most doctors are required to study medicine, so unless you get a job as a porter or a receptionist a degree in anything else isn't really going to help you get a job in our hospitals.

Unless you work in radiology, or you program or make prosthetics, or you do cell analysis in a lab, or you work on the computer systems, or probably a hundred other jobs that the NHS needs doing. I've known computer scientists and Biomechanics graduates work at the Sheffield hospitals, not just medical graduates.

---------- Post added 29-01-2014 at 07:23 ----------

I'm not really convinced by an advertising blog, but even that seems to suggest that folk live in Sheffield but choose to work elsewhere.

"These transport links mean that many graduates opt to stay locally for longer because they can apply for jobs a long way away and still be physically able to travel to them. Many people live in Sheffield but work in Manchester, Leeds or Birmingham"

Non of which really helps with job creation in Sheffield.

It was only a quick google, we could probably find the underlying data if we try harder.

I'm sure that people (graduates) also live in Leeds and work elsewhere and the same for Manchester. The argument that we have good transport links applies to most other major cities as well.

Businesses are more interested in making money.

So what conditions are stopping them from investing in Sheffield...? Genuine question