Stagecoach bus & tram weekly Megarider - Half price sale!

Quick question, my one runs out on the 19th. If I buy it on the 15th to start again on the 20th, does the promotional price still apply? And could, in theory, I buy one on the final day of the promotion to start on the 27th?

Quick question, my one runs out on the 19th. If I buy it on the 15th to start again on the 20th, does the promotional price still apply? And could, in theory, I buy one on the final day of the promotion to start on the 27th?

I believe you could but don't quote me on that!

I think that the smart cards work very well, the promotion offer has given me the kick up the backside to get one ordered and it is already feeling way more convenient. Gone are the days of looking in the house for change or getting some cash out from an ATM and having to go change it in a shop!

A bit more on the areas each Megarider is valid for Stagecoach bus travel in terms of routes in Sheffield....

Sheffield Megarider offer price £5.75 bus only/£6.75 with tram

valid within the City of Sheffield plus....

route 15A full route Crystal Peaks to Dronfield Civic Centre

route 16A Dronfield Civic Centre to Dronfield Woodhouse, Carr Lane.

route 43/43A/44/44A as far as the Three Tuns pub at Hallowes, Dronfield.

route 50 as far as the Birk Hill estate in Eckington

route 50A as far as Marsh Lane

route 53/53A as far as Eckington bus station

route 70/70A between Eckington, Halfway and Killamarsh

route 71 as far as Spinkhill

route SL3 full route Moss Way to Killamarsh

Sheffield Megarider Plus offer price £7.25

Valid within the Sheffield Megarider zone and the Chesterfield Megarider zone and direct services between, including route 71 via Renishaw, 50/50A via Eckington, 43/44 via Dronfield and the X17 express.

Valid on routes 53/53A as far as Renishaw. Valid on Supertram.

Megarider Gold offer price £9.50

valid on all Stagecoach buses in South Yorkshire, West Yorkshire, Nottinghamshire, Derbyshire and Gainsborough except for Stagecoach Manchester services or Stagecoach in Hull service X62.

From Sheffield includes the 265 to Barnsley, X17 to Matlock and 53/53A to Mansfield. Valid on Supertram.

More info at http://www.stagecoachbus.com/Sheffield-Megarider.aspx

Edited by Andy C

I started using my new smart card this week. But, they're awful. After using it for a couple of days, I still can't tell if it's worked when I hold it against the card reader! I've been half way down the bus before I've been called back by the driver, twice!! Any fool-proof advice on how to use these things - the drivers seem as confused as I am !!

I used mine new card today for the first time on the 52 and the machine said "product error"

I told the driver it was a brand new card and due to start for 7 days today, but this particular driver wasn't too interested(it was 6:45!) and just waved me onto the bus.

When I got to work at 7:15am I called the number on the rear of the card(not expecting anyone to be there), but a nice customer service chap explained that on brand new cards , sometimes the user has to leave the card on the machine for 15 seconds to fully activate the card the very first time its used.

On the way home, I caught the 52 outside the Children's Hospital and the driver knew exactly what to do, I'd told him about what happened in the morning, and he pressed a few buttons with the card on the machine and the magic beep sounded and said "There you go, should be fine now,pal"

Thanks to that driver and hope the advice helps.

I suspect there will be a learning curve for many bus drivers and tram conductors as well as passengers with the use of smart card based season tickets increasing significantly with this offer.

To remind of the offer....(don't want anyone missing out!)

You can buy the promotional weekly tickets until 19th February (next Wednesday) at http://www.megaridersale.com/yorkshire.

Stagecoach Sheffield Bus Only Weekly Megarider £5.75

Stagecoach Sheffield Bus & Tram Weekly Megarider £6.75

Stagecoach Sheffield & Chesterfield Weekly Megarider Plus £7.25

Stagecoach S/W.Yorkshire,Derbyshire,Nottinghamshire Megarider Gold £9.50

Alternatively you may wish to opt for the Megarider Xtra where you sign up for a years travel on a monthly payment scheme. If you sign up during the promotional period you will get your first month at a discount.

If you are a new smartcard customer please allow 5 days for postage when choosing the start date of your ticket. Existing Stagecoach Smartcard holders only need to buy 3 days in advance.

---------- Post added 13-02-2014 at 12:21 ----------

Normal online smartcard ticket prices

Sheffield Bus Only

28 day* £42.00

Sheffield Tram Only

28 day* £42.00

Sheffield Bus & Tram

7 day £13.50

28 day* £42.00

Sheffield & Chesterfield (Megarider Plus)

7 day £14.50

28 day* £54.00

South & West Yorkshire, Derbyshire, Nottinghamshire & Gainsborough (Megarider Gold)

7 day £19.00

28 day* £69.00

* on Megarider Xtra the ticket becomes a calendar month rather than 28 day, effectively giving 4 weeks extra free over the course of a year.

---------- Post added 13-02-2014 at 15:05 ----------

If you are thinking about moving to using Stagecoach because of the offer here is a list of services in Sheffield:

Tram

Yellow route: Meadowhall-Attercliffe-City-Hillsborough-Middlewood

Blue route: Halfway-Crystal Peaks-Gleadless-City-Hillsborough-Malin Bridge

Purple route: Herdings Park-Gleadless-City

Bus

15A Crystal Peaks-Eckington-Apperknowle-Coal Aston-Dronfield

25 Woodhouse-Manor Park-City-Woodseats-Bradway

35A Chapeltown-Thorncliffe Industrial Estate

43 Sheffield-Woodseats-Dronfield-Dronfield Woodhouse-Chesterfield

43A Sheffield-Woodseats-Dronfield-Dronfield Woodhouse-Gosforth-Hallowes

44 Sheffield-Woodseats-Batemoor-Coal Aston-Dronfield-Chesterfield

44 Chapeltown-Harley-Rotherham

50 Sheffield-Mosborough-Eckington-Birk Hill-Chesterfield

50A Sheffield-Mosborough-Eckington-Marsh Lane-Chesterfield

52 Woodhouse-Handsworth-Darnall-City-Broomhill-Crookes-Hillsborough

53 Sheffield-Mosborough-Eckington-Renishaw-Clowne-Bolsover-Mansfield

53A Halfway-Eckington-Renishaw-Clowne-Bolsover-Mansfield

57 City-Hillsborough-Worrall-Wharncliffe Side-Stocksbridge

71 Sheffield-Mosborough-Halfway-Killamarsh-Spinkhill-Renishaw-Staveley-Chesterfield

79 Batemoor-Hemsworth-Arbourthorne-City-Wadsley Bridge-Ecclesfield

79A Batemoor-Hemsworth-Arbourthorne-City-Grenoside-Burncross-Chapeltown

83 Ecclesfield-Parson Cross-Norwood-City-Hunters Bar-Millhouses

83A Ecclesfield-Parson Cross-Norwood-City-Hunters Bar-Fulwood

87 High Green-Chapeltown-Pitsmoor-City-Abbeydale-Hutcliffe Wood-Greenhill-Low Edges

88 Smithywood-Ecclesfield-Firth Park-City-Hunters Bar-Bents Green

120 Halfway-Crystal Peaks-Hackenthorpe-Manor Top-City-Hallamshire Hospital

121 City-Hallamshire Hospital-Endcliffe Student Village-Hunters Bar-Endcliffe Park

123 City-Manor Top-Woodhouse-Crystal Peaks

265 Sheffield-Northern General Hospital-Chapeltown-Barnsley

SL1 Middlewood tram stop-Oughtibridge-Stocksbridge

SL2 Malin Bridge tram stop-Stannington

SL3 Moss Way tram stop-Crystal Peaks-Beighton-Holbrook-Killamarsh

X17 Sheffield-Woodseats-Whittington Moor-Chesterfield-Matlock (limited stop)

Edited by Andy C

REMEMBER!

Today is the LAST day to buy a half price Mega Rider in the Stagecoach sale.

Offers ends on 19 Feb!

Thank you for reminding me, about to get one from the 27th Feb to run until the 5th March, assuming it will let me!!!!

I don't get the point of these smartcards. How do you know what date it's valid from and to if there's nothing written on the card? You might end up getting on the bus to work in the morning and being forced off if your card's run out.

I don't get the point of these smartcards. How do you know what date it's valid from and to if there's nothing written on the card? You might end up getting on the bus to work in the morning and being forced off if your card's run out.

Err, because when you buy the ticket online it tells you the dates you have just bought it between?

It requires the user to have a modicum of intelligence, hence why it will never catch on in Sheffield.

There have been no end of issues with the half-price megarider tickets. I've seen a few people present their new smart card only to be told it's expired. The tram conductor this morning said he's had to let about about 2 dozen people off this week alone because of all the problems!

Must say though, I've had my smart-card for almost 2 months (didn't use the half-price offer as I'd already bought my monthly saver) and it's great. Just pop the card against the reader on the bus and wait for the orange light to turn green, and off you go.

---------- Post added 19-02-2014 at 15:32 ----------

It would be nice if Stagecoach introduced a text 'reminder' service where it notifies you a few days before it runs out.

I've just put a reminder in the calendar on my mobile so I don't forget.

Edited by GoGo_dancer

Ask the tram conductor to print a card statement for you if you aren't sure what you have on your card.

Today is the last day of the sale by the way.