Police presence?

Last Thursday my 18 year old daughter was waiting at the steps of the new Asda for a friend when a guy walked up to her and slapped her hard across the face, she didn't know him and had no communication with him whatsoever; he laughed and re-joined his group of friends; my daughter was so shocked. On Friday my other daughter was walking home from work on Deerlands Avenue when three guys approached her, she had her earphones in and didn't see one of the guys approach her, he ripped the earphones out of her ears; causing her phone to spin on the floor; she picked her phone up and the men threatened her when she remarked on the state of her phone, she was so frightened. I am so sad that my daughters are not safe in their own community during the afternoon. I think these thugs are taking advantage of the lack of police presence in our area; in fact the last time I saw a large police presence was when they was filming a reality Police, Camera, Action type of show (they had three cars full of police to catch one lad!) If they can be out in force for the cameras; how about being out and about for the public?

Two assaults on members of the same family in just over a week would make me think that those responsible are known to the victims.

You say your daughters are afraid of going out and of retribution, and you think these thugs are taking advantage of the lack of police presence.

Well I think they're taking advantage of the fact that they can get away with it because your daughters refuse to report them to the police!

Why is the thought of retribution more scarey than how things are now? At least once they have been reported, if anything else should happen the police will be aware of the culprits.

Even if the police increased their presence in your area, they can't be everywhere - so what happens if your daughters met up with these thugs say in town?

Don't let these pieces of scum destroy your daughter's lives - get them reported and let the police worry about the rest!

Last Thursday my 18 year old daughter was waiting at the steps of the new Asda for a friend when a guy walked up to her and slapped her hard across the face, she didn't know him and had no communication with him whatsoever; he laughed and re-joined his group of friends; my daughter was so shocked. On Friday my other daughter was walking home from work on Deerlands Avenue when three guys approached her, she had her earphones in and didn't see one of the guys approach her, he ripped the earphones out of her ears; causing her phone to spin on the floor; she picked her phone up and the men threatened her when she remarked on the state of her phone, she was so frightened. I am so sad that my daughters are not safe in their own community during the afternoon. I think these thugs are taking advantage of the lack of police presence in our area; in fact the last time I saw a large police presence was when they was filming a reality Police, Camera, Action type of show (they had three cars full of police to catch one lad!) If they can be out in force for the cameras; how about being out and about for the public?

its get one and get one free :suspect::suspect::suspect:

Two assaults on members of the same family in just over a week would make me think that those responsible are known to the victims.

On the contrary the guy that hit my daughter was a young guy with a local group and the guys that targeted my other daughter were of Asian origin. There was no connection between these people and my daughters, like I said; one was going shopping and the other was walking home from work. It just happens to be a bizarre coincidence that this happened within a day of each other.

I don't want this to affect their future and I am trying my best to get them to report the incidents, after all they are the victims in this.

If you need any sports equipment for a game of cricket or baseball let me know, teeth marks are a bugger to get out.

Edited by SportsTrophy

Police officers will be sent to patrol areas where there is lots of crime reported. If you don't report it, they don't know it's happened!

Agree 1000% if you don't report crime it won't go on the register. The figures that crime is going down is because people do not report it if the true figure was there they wouldent be cutting back in your area the more reports the better the policing of area get it reported no matter if they catch them or not every crime should be reported ....

Agree 1000% if you don't report crime it won't go on the register. The figures that crime is going down is because people do not report it if the true figure was there they wouldent be cutting back in your area the more reports the better the policing of area get it reported no matter if they catch them or not every crime should be reported ....

Dude- the police know full well that the area is ridden with crime and that the community are often too scared to report stuff.

Do you understand that? Cos while you're 100% right that the police can't deal with crime if it's not reported, the fact remains that they already know full-well that the area has a big crime problem.

As to why they still don't put a police presence in these areas- maybe they don't care? Maybe they're hindered by a overly beurocratic system that won't allow them to act until a crime is an actual reported statistic? ...or, any one of a hundred different hypotheses.

None of that matters to the residents- they only know that reporting crimes will not up police presence, and may attract attetion from local criminals, or their families.

Thanks onewheeldave :) but I can understand peoples frustration but if you look at it objectively it's a case of the chicken and the egg, do we need a reported crime before we have police visibility; or do we have a police presence to prevent a crime occuring in the first place. I've always believed that it was crime prevention that took precedent.

Which would be illegal. And encouraging someone to commit a criminal offence is itself a criminal offence. As the police monitor these pages they may be getting your ISP number.

lol lol :loopy:

Which would be illegal. And encouraging someone to commit a criminal offence is itself a criminal offence. As the police monitor these pages they may be getting your ISP number.

In which case they should be already on the ball, wonder how long it will be before any action.

better ring my lawyer then

Isn't there always a police van parked at asda it's there when I go to work and return at night unless it's broken down. Just near cash machines.

It's a cardboard cut out,just like the bobbies in stores.