The Truth About Your Dog's Food

What kind of raw do you feed your cat? is it the ready mixed raw or is it mince type of food?

Neither- I've given him chicken hearts and chicken livers (sold for human consumption at the markets) both of which he really enjoys. Also gave him a raw chicken wing, which, though he liked it, he had difficulties tearing the meat off.

Just a word of warning raw bones destroyed my dogs teeth (broke all his front teeth and wore about a third of his canines after just a few bones!) then the raw meat upset his stomach and he didn't seem to like raw meat (would not entertain raw fruit or vegetables) this all meant after struggling to keep weight on him for two years raw feedings I had to go back to kibble.

I wish I could raw feed but I have had to accept that raw feeding isn't for all dogs, some (like Max) may not have the teeth, stomachs or taste buds for raw diets. This could be down to breeding or poor food when young. I know that Max's previous owners fed him Bakers and deliberately under fed to stop him getting to big which will have affected his teeth, bones and stomach!

So now I feed kibble (but not cheap kibble) and mix with home cooked fresh human grade meat and veg! Max was Orijen but I have now got another dog and it is just too expensive (both large dogs) but found a british alternative Millies Wolfheart that is about a third cheaper (though still not cheap at £50 for 14.5kg).

In my house the dogs definately eat better than me but hopefully it will save on vets bills!!

Interesting post. Please could you let me know what food you are giving them? The Wolfheart one gets a great review on Which Dog Food.

I didn't see this programme, but have recently started feeding raw due to problems one of my dogs was having with his food. They are all now fed raw and I have to say it's going very well.

There's a raw feeding group on FB, one of the admins has written a book on it and there is a website here where you can read it for free. http://dogsdinner2.webs.com/quickstartguide.htm

It gives lots of information on how to start your dog on raw, why not to feed kibble and raw together and lots more :)

Good luck to anyone starting out - I went to do poop patrol in the garden after a couple of days on it and couldn't believe how little there was!!

I watched the programme and have decided to switch to a 100% natural dry dog food. My husband has found one called Eden but the only problem we have is that our 3 dogs have been having a mix of dry and wet dog food together and they are very reluctant to have just dry. It would make life easier for us to just give them the dry any ideas how we can get them off the wet dog food as Eden only do dry food? We have tried increasing the amount of dry food and reducting the wet but they aren't happy.

Try pouring a drop of warm water over the kibble - it tends to bring out the aroma of the food. Also, why not just add a little bit of the wet food just as a kind of sauce? I know a few people who do this. Remember that Eden is a good quality dog food and they may not need as much of it as cheaper stuff, of which a lot goes to waste.

We do add a small amount of wet dog food at the moment but want to try and stop that all together so might try the warm water.

Hubby has since found another dog food that looks good called Millies Wolfheart not sure if one is better than another.

Yes, it's probably best to reduce the wet food to zero. You might find that if you add some sardine to the dry food they will like it more. I give them to my lot about two or three times a week and it's a great favourite. Good for the omega oils too.

If you run the products through the website Which Dog Food it should give you the answer you require.

ahhh yes may try the sadine idea thanks. It's just to make the dry food a bit more moist until they are used to it.

On Thursday, 30th January 2014, Channel 5 will be screening TheTruth About Your Dog's Food at 9pm. Also the subject will be covered tomorrow on the Radio 4 programme You and Yours at 12md.

Further link here which highlights the benefits of raw feeding.

I did not watch this but feed my dog pedigree all the time. If i give him anything se he gets upset tummy and the runs :(

I did not watch this but feed my dog pedigree all the time. If i give him anything se he gets upset tummy and the runs :(

Maybe you should try and watch it on demand or something it might make you think again, it has me and two of my friends who also watched it. I love my three dogs and thought I was looking after them the best I could but the facts about what we feed them have made me look more carefully at what is in what I thought was the good quality dog food I feed them.