Fixed penalty notice for term time holidays

How are you measuring whether it's harmed the education or not?

I guess the only effective way would be a twin study, where 1 twin was taken on holiday and the other was not.

Is that what you did?

That doesn't prove anything. Education isn't the be all and end all. You could go to school, not miss a single lesson and still make the wrong choices in later life. Or, you could go to school, scrape through your exams with poor results and go on to be a billionaire.

Life is complicated, especially when you are a teenager. I'd rather my kids concentrate on getting through their school years without any scars. You don't start growing up until you enter the real world. A few weeks of missed education isn't going to mean your child can't spell or add up.

---------- Post added 14-06-2014 at 10:05 ----------

I love the rule it means I can have a holiday without screaming kids around. Not having little legs kicking my seat from behind on the plane journey is also nice:hihi:

In my experience, kids are usually fine on plane journeys. It's the ignorant adults that feel the need to put their seats into the recline position that p**s me off!

We've now changed our holiday from 10days in term time @ £2000 to 7 days in the school holidays @ £2,300 :-0 oh well worth it to not be stressing about a fine or getting into trouble for taking them out.

Sorry but I actually agree with this its beneficial for children to be in school and there are lots of parents that would prefer to stay in bed or take vacations dure in school term kids don't get that long at school as it is... this penalty thing is 1 way of ensuring a education for kids....

---------- Post added 15-06-2014 at 15:23 ----------

I agree with giving parents a penalty if their children arnt in school unless authorised it will ensure children get the best in education as there are parents that don't seem botherd about school

That doesn't prove anything.

What doesn't? I was asking how he'd determined that education isn't harmed.

Education isn't the be all and end all. You could go to school, not miss a single lesson and still make the wrong choices in later life. Or, you could go to school, scrape through your exams with poor results and go on to be a billionaire.

So?

Life is complicated, especially when you are a teenager. I'd rather my kids concentrate on getting through their school years without any scars. You don't start growing up until you enter the real world. A few weeks of missed education isn't going to mean your child can't spell or add up.

In my experience, kids are usually fine on plane journeys. It's the ignorant adults that feel the need to put their seats into the recline position that p**s me off!

Yeah, how ignorant, using a feature supplied to be used.

Complaining about people reclining is pretty ignorant IMO.

What doesn't? I was asking how he'd determined that education isn't harmed.

So?

Yeah, how ignorant, using a feature supplied to be used.

Complaining about people reclining is pretty ignorant IMO.

There supposed to be used for sleeping, not during short day flights. I'm not getting into it, because it's off topic, but reclining your seat during a day flight, without asking the person behind you if they mind, makes you a total toss pot, no arguments!!

Make the national curriculum more flexible, so that people can take holidays when they want. Teachers and pupils can take an agreed amount of holiday every year, subject to sensible restrictions.

It would be a bit of timetabling headache admittedly, but we live in an age of incredibly powerful computing, so it should be a bagatelle.

The benefits of smoothing out the demand for transport and attractions over the whole year are too many to list.

Make the national curriculum more flexible, so that people can take holidays when they want. Teachers and pupils can take an agreed amount of holiday every year, subject to sensible restrictions.

It would be a bit of timetabling headache admittedly, but we live in an age of incredibly powerful computing, so it should be a bagatelle.

The benefits of smoothing out the demand for transport and attractions over the whole year are too many to list.

This has to be the most ridiculous, ill-informed post so far. Don't you think schools already use software for timetabling? Don't you think Heads would love more flexibility when timetabling and that if it were possible, they would have seized it by now?? In most schools, there is a senior management person, usually with a degree in Maths, who works on the next year's timetable for months on end, using the most up-to-date software for the purpose. It's enough of a nightmare timetabling large numbers of pupils so they can do the options they want as well as the common core curriculum, in workable -sized groups, with teachers who can teach that subject. To start taking groups and teachers out of the timetable for weeks here and there is a non-starter.

Go on then. Explain how it would work, for kids and teachers to go off on holiday when they choose! And don't just spout on about using 'technology' to square the circle - you clearly haven't a clue about how schools work.

Struggling? Of course you are. It's a stupid, unworkable suggestion. Unless you have classes of about four kids and they have the same teacher for everything, (clearly impractical especially in a secondary school) it cannot work.

Edited by aliceBB

Staggering the holidays by LEA would be much easier to implement and go a long way to alleviating the problem.

Staggering the holidays by LEA would be much easier to implement and go a long way to alleviating the problem.

Well, that would work for primaries, but not for secondary schools, as the summer term (when most people would want at least two weeks holiday) are dedicated to preparing for and taking public examinations. You are not going to get Heads (or exam boards) agreeing to have holidays any time from April to the end of June. Which only leaves the first three weeks of July, when some schools break up anyway.

To be honest I don't know why schools should have to bend over backwards simply to accommodate parents who want half price foreign holidays. As I said before, it is not an inalienable human right to have a cheap holiday in Magaluf or Florida. If more people boycotted the holiday firms during the summer months and refused to pay prices they considered inflated, prices would come down to some extent.

The schools' concern is to ensure the pupils are educated, not that they get to lie on a Greek beach every year.

Edited by aliceBB

If they did that, do you think that the holiday companies would keep the cheaper holidays outside of the traditional school holiday time or just raise the cost of all of them to that level ?

If they did that, do you think that the holiday companies would keep the cheaper holidays outside of the traditional school holiday time or just raise the cost of all of them to that level ?

Market forces would prevail, as they do now. Demand would direct supply and cost.

Whiteowl - I don't think it's as simple as you imply. The prices go up because of the massive spike in demand.

By spreading the holidays the spike would be smaller (although last longer).

Certainly the currently cheaper weeks would become more expensive if they started to fall in the holiday period for some LEAs. But equally the top price holidays right in the centre of the holiday period should get a little cheaper.