Do we have the right to offend?

There is a difference between being threatened and harassed and being upset by someones religious or political beliefs.

Yes, there is. What of it?

So it's all about you, your ideas, your feelings.

It's up to me what i find offensive, it's up to me what i say, it's up to me what i believe. And vice versa.

So it's all about you, your ideas, your feelings.

colloquially it's known as 'self-obsessed Dawkins fanboy syndrome'*

*It isn't, but it probably should be.

For god sakes some people seem to have their sense of humor surgically removed. I used the swear word to help with portray how unimportant you should view it when someone challenges you. Also i couldn't be bothered to type out a full conversation.

I wasn't too upset when I was called a freak, but I wasn't over the moon about it. What is funny is that this guy said it like it was nothing. I am 6ft tall and lay bricks for a living. I wolf whistle birds, drink beer and love football. But on the day, I was in full black clad, with a full zip mask, but if I was myself in work clobber, would he have said it?

I am myself both in the daytime, and during my evening swarays, but did this bloke wear a mask, thinking I was just a perve? Sometimes it the same on here, under the mask of anonymity, which is a real shame coz I bet each and every one of us a pretty decent people awat from this arguementative forum.

It's up to me what i find offensive, it's up to me what i say, it's up to me what i believe. And vice versa.

Yeah, yeah, yeah. It's not that that's scary it's your absence of any sense of empathy or concern for others.

Yes, there is. What of it?

I find evangelical Christian beliefs very offensive but that means nothing in the scheme of things. If someone threatens to kill or rape you then you have to take action via the police.

Sorry i that isn't satisfactory i have no idea what your question is.

There is a difference between being threatened and harassed and being upset by someones religious or political beliefs.

There's a lot more things that people get offended by. And many of them cause even bigger reactions than the religist fundementals. Like supporting the wrong football club.

Yeah, yeah, yeah. It's not that that's scary it's your absence of any sense of empathy or concern for others.

You don't get it do you? I have a right to say what i want. It doesn't mean i do go around saying what i want. If i can avoid offence i will do. However in some cases mainly Politics and Religion my beliefs are so strongly Liberal and Atheist retrospectively that i do say things that may offend people.

---------- Post added 24-01-2014 at 22:08 ----------

There's a lot more things that people get offended by. And many of them cause even bigger reactions than the religist fundementals. Like supporting the wrong football club.

When was the last time a bombing was conducted because of football.

Yes but as was said earlier, we live in a society where there is a wide diversity of people, ideas and practices, and there are huge power differences too.

You don't get it do you? I have a right to say what i want. It doesn't mean i do go around saying what i want. If i can avoid offence i will do. However in some cases mainly Politics and Religion my beliefs are so strongly Liberal and Atheist retrospectively that i do say things that may offend people.

As long as you stay within the law and don't whine when you get nicked or someone takes a swing at you.

So hard to have the BELIEFS that are so strong they cause all the OFFENDING.

(violins in background)

I wasn't too upset when I was called a freak, but I wasn't over the moon about it. What is funny is that this guy said it like it was nothing. I am 6ft tall and lay bricks for a living. I wolf whistle birds, drink beer and love football. But on the day, I was in full black clad, with a full zip mask, but if I was myself in work clobber, would he have said it?

I am myself both in the daytime, and during my evening swarays, but did this bloke wear a mask, thinking I was just a perve? Sometimes it the same on here, under the mask of anonymity, which is a real shame coz I bet each and every one of us a pretty decent people awat from this arguementative forum.

Brilliantly put. If me and Halibut were discussing this over a coffee it'd be a lot more polite. It's because we can't see each other and can't read each others faces that we occasionally go over the top.

---------- Post added 24-01-2014 at 22:14 ----------

So hard to have the BELIEFS that are so strong they cause all the OFFENDING.

(violins in background)

Some people find the statement "There is no God" offensive. An EDL member was very offended when i called him a racist. I don't care that i caused offence in either of them instances. If i upset someone at work because of my behavior such as a joke or a remark then i'd be gutted.