Do we have the right to offend?

Ah, how long did it take for this to turn into a muslim thread? I knew it would be this that drove you, call me psychic or drunk, I don't care.

Fact is that you should go and talk to some muslims and ask them if they were offended by the cartoons AND if they felt they should go and murder the cartoonists. I think you will find the answers refreshing and aiding your life-experience. Don't forget, that life-experience is what makes you satisfied, not a single god can achieve that.

From Lord Justice Sedley ruling on Redmond-Bate v DPP 1999

"Free speech includes not only the inoffensive but the irritating, the contentious, the eccentric, the heretical, the unwelcome and the provocative provided it does not tend to provoke violence. Freedom only to speak inoffensively is not worth having. What Speakers’ Corner (where the law applies as fully as anywhere else) demonstrates is the tolerance which is both extended by the law to opinion of every kind and expected by the law in the conduct of those who disagree, even strongly, with what they hear.

From the condemnation of Socrates to the persecution of modern writers and journalists, our world has seen too many examples of state control of unofficial ideas. A central purpose of the European Convention on Human Rights has been to set close limits to any such assumed power.

We in this country continue to owe a debt to the jury which in 1670 refused to convict the Quakers William Penn and William Mead for preaching ideas which offended against state orthodoxy.

I don't think being upset does endow you with any rights at all. But I really hate this Daily Mail whinge that able bodied, heterosexual males are the new minority and they are being persecuted by minorities that are simply standing up for themselves and are fed up of being trashed

So am i. :)

What i'm saying is that when someone says to you "I'm offended by that" the default response should be "So f-----g what?"

It shouldn't be, that is yet a further step to desensitising society, we've been on a downward spiral since the sixties and it is time we had the balls to break that spiral.

Edited by tzijlstra
bol*ks got edited quite rightly.

I've already said they can do something about it they can sue, argue, resign, withdraw they're custom and so on and so forth. What i'm saying is that when someone says to you "I'm offended by that" the default response should be "So f-----g what?"

So what you're actually saying is you're an aggressively rude and insensitive person who wants to be able to insult people without the possibility of them protesting about it.

How unpleasant.

Ah, how long did it take for this to turn into a muslim thread? I knew it would be this that drove you, call me psychic or drunk, I don't care.

Fact is that you should go and talk to some muslims and ask them if they were offended by the cartoons AND if they felt they should go and murder the cartoonists. I think you will find the answers refreshing and aiding your life-experience. Don't forget, that life-experience is what makes you satisfied, not a single god can achieve that.

This won't turn into a Muslim thread. That's why i mentioned a christian issue in the same sentence. Actually the only reason i mentioned the cartoons is because this very week there has been a huge issue about a prospective Lib dem parliamentary candidate tweeting a cartoon of Muhammed and it was driven by to Muslim leaders namly Mohammed Shafiq and Mohammed Ansar. Even though i have to say many muslims including Mehdi Hasan and Adil Ray have spoke in defense of the PPC

I've already said they can do something about it they can sue, argue, resign, withdraw they're custom and so on and so forth. What i'm saying is that when someone says to you "I'm offended by that" the default response should be "So f-----g what?"

Let's say, a TV channel has decided it's going to make a cat curry on live television, starting with the slaughter of cats they've bought from a rescue centre.

Do you think the TV channel should just reply back "So f------g what?" when the inevitable complaints come rolling in? Or should they reconsider what they're doing and whether it's actually grossly offence with no public value?

While you have the right to be able to offend others, you also have the responsibility to not abuse that.

So what you're actually saying is you're an aggressively rude and insensitive person who wants to be able to insult people without the possibility of them protesting about it.

How unpleasant.

For god sakes some people seem to have their sense of humor surgically removed. I used the swear word to help with portray how unimportant you should view it when someone challenges you. Also i couldn't be bothered to type out a full conversation.

For god sakes some people seem to have their sense of humor surgically removed. I used the swear word to help with portray how unimportant you should view it when someone challenges you. Also i couldn't be bothered to type out a full conversation.

But maybe it should be important when someone challenges you? Just a thought.

I'll bet you're very selective about who exactly you'd say that to though, aren't you?

You're what?

Upset at people being racist and homophobic.

And before you say it. No. It doesn't at all infringe on my belief in Free speech. Their are plenty of ways to prevent bigotry that don't involve calling in the fuzz.