Do we have the right to offend?

I don't think I've ever come across such a person, have you?

A lot of people think that under no circumstances can their prophet or god be offended. I.e Danish Cartoons and the play that's been banned in Northern Ireland.

---------- Post added 24-01-2014 at 21:28 ----------

Yes - just today I think 2 Twitter trolls were convicted for sending hateful messages that were offensive & that's how it should be.

They threatened people there is a difference.

Its a very good question. A bloke once told me that I was a freak because I enjoy leather goods and services, which although may come across as strange to some, to me its a way of life. I don't disrespect his views but did he have to be so abrubt?

Its a very good question. A bloke once told me that I was a freak because I enjoy leather goods and services, which although may come across as strange to some, to me its a way of life. I don't disrespect his views but did he have to be so abrubt?

He was rude and insensitive. But he had a right to say it.

like, ykinmk, dude.

A lot of people think that under no circumstances can their prophet or god be offended. I.e Danish Cartoons and the play that's been banned in Northern Ireland.

They have the right to insult the prophet, they have a right to be upset if you do so.

There's a report in today's Times with regard to a black dancer who was called a N****r to his face outside a nightclub.

He proceeded to give the man concerned a right pasting, for which he wound up appearing at Taunton Crown court.

GBH can frequently result in a jail sentence, however Judge Phillip Wassall imposed a community order on the grounds that the provocation was such that it excused the reaction to a significant degree.

Have to agree with the Judge here, although personally I wouldn't have bothered with the community order.

They have the right to insult the prophet, they have a right to be upset if you do so.

But being upset by something shouldn't magically endow you with a set of rights. You have to understand that everyone has different opinions and grow up.

What i'm saying is that i do have a right to free speech and that means i can say what i want.

You don't, and you can't.

Name a rape victim in public and you will likely find yourself being asked to explain why you thought you could do so.

Just as you have the right to say things that may be seen as offensive, people also have the right to be offended by things that you say.

You don't, and you can't.

Name a rape victim in public and you will likely find yourself being asked to explain why you thought you could do so.

Just as you have the right to say things that may be seen as offensive, people also have the right to be offended by things that you say.

Of course they have a right to be offended. But they have no right to demand concessions because they are offended.

Of course they have a right to be offended. But they have no right to demand concessions because they are offended.

Yes they do. Just as you have the right to demand to be allowed to offend them.

It seems you're offended by the fact that others can be offended and you're wanting to demand that they can't do anything about it.

What sort of concessions do you think they demand?

But being upset by something shouldn't magically endow you with a set of rights. You have to understand that everyone has different opinions and grow up.

I don't think being upset does endow you with any rights at all. But I really hate this Daily Mail whinge that able bodied, heterosexual males are the new minority and they are being persecuted by minorities that are simply standing up for themselves and are fed up of being trashed