Do we have the right to offend?

No context to this, I was just wondering whether or not we have the right to offend people no matter what. Do we have an inalienable right to say whatever we want, to whoever we want, wherever we want. Or if there are limits to free speech and expression and we all have to take that into account. And have to respect peoples sensitivities no matter how barmy they may seem.

Do you know what happens when you offend someone?

No we don't. There are limits and they are more easily crossed than we care to know.

Do you know what happens when you offend someone?

Depends on the person.

---------- Post added 24-01-2014 at 20:54 ----------

No we don't. There are limits and they are more easily crossed than we care to know.

So have to cater to the everyone's sensibilities no matter how barmy they are.

No it doesn't

Course it does. Some people will smack you in the face others will mutter away when your out of ear shot and some will just take on the chin.

No, that isn't what I said. What I said is that borders are crossed more easily than people realise. Let me give you an example, my brother made a joke involving mentally handicapped people with me and my wife at the table. Not a good idea as my wife's daughter is mentally handicapped, it nearly wrecked the relation between me and my brother.

Course it does. Some people will smack you in the face others will mutter away when your out of ear shot and some will just take on the chin.
No. That isn't what happens. Thats their reaction. That isn't what happens

No. That isn't what happens. Thats their reaction. That isn't what happens

So what do you think happens then?

No context to this, I was just wondering whether or not we have the right to offend people no matter what. Do we have an inalienable right to say whatever we want, to whoever we want, wherever we want. Or if there are limits to free speech and expression and we all have to take that into account. And have to respect peoples sensitivities no matter how barmy they may seem.

You don't have an inalienable right to say whatever you want. Sorry to be the bearer of bad news.

Arguing, as you are, that not having an absolute right to offend under any circumstances means you must never offend anyone under any circumstances is creating a false dichotomy. The first does not require the second.

You could quite easily have an argument that you should not be allowed to offend someone by saying "I'm glad your baby died of cot death." whilst being quite happy for you to offend someone by saying "I don't like your jumper.".

No, that isn't what I said. What I said is that borders are crossed more easily than people realise. Let me give you an example, my brother made a joke involving mentally handicapped people with me and my wife at the table. Not a good idea as my wife's daughter is mentally handicapped, it nearly wrecked the relation between me and my brother.

That story doesn't have much relevance on whether we have a right to offend or not. For example if i was at a bus surrounded with people do i or do i not have the right to say what i want even if some were offended.