Removing a wall- need advice from a professional

We are wanting to remove a wall between hallway and living room, so we can have an open plan living room with stairs in. We can get the work done ourselves no problem, but I think I may need someone to call in and tell us if the wall is load bearing. Not only that, we removed a chimney breast and supported it when we moved in, so advice about this/how much load the wall is bearing etc would also be required.

Does anyone know what type of person does this? Structural engineer? I don't want to pay £100's for someone to come out and say- yep thats a supporting wall so if anyone can reccommend someone that would be ace.

Would you want some cowboy to walk in and tell you it'd probably be alrite?

If you've had previous work done then it might need more than just a cursory glance.

I assume you've given it a tap and found it is a solid and not a stud wall??

A structural engineer would charge about £250.00, much better to be sure than have your house fall down!!

Would you want some cowboy to walk in and tell you it'd probably be alrite?

If you've had previous work done then it might need more than just a cursory glance.

I assume you've given it a tap and found it is a solid and not a stud wall??

Sorry- I think you've mis-understood. I am happy to pay someone, but want more than, just a 'yeah its not a supporting wall' hence the reason for the post asking for reccommendations of 'Professionals' :-)

---------- Post added 23-01-2014 at 14:53 ----------

A structural engineer would charge about £250.00, much better to be sure than have your house fall down!!

I have called one company and they have quoted £250+ VAT. Seems very expensive, but looks yes would rather pay than my house fall down.

Thanks

Would be happy to take a look and tell you if it is a supporting wall give me a call or txt Mac 07976901492

You need a structural engineer. No builder I know can provide the calculations needed to prove the size of steel required but they could just go OTT and fit something way over sized to cover themselves.

Didnt say i would tell them what steel they need said i could tell them if it was a supporting wall or not.

---------- Post added 23-01-2014 at 17:49 ----------

And i know that if it is they will need regs approval

Wasn't having a dig at anyone, just offering advice.

Be very care full if its a brick wall you are knocking down it could be carrying first floor joists even if there is no wall continuing upstairs. All old houses which have internal brick devideing walls could be carry a trimmer or something. If the wall you are knocking is a stud wall made out timber you should be okay. Make sure you are insured before you start with the demolition and are a bodger who has plenty of strong lads to knock it down but dont know what they are doing. Get a bricklayer or joiner to supervise and you supply labour if you are worrying about cost as its 90 percent labour intensive

Edited by spider1

Phil strange structural engineer 07785295152 He's done lots of calcs for me in past

Be very care full if its a brick wall you are knocking down it could be carrying first floor joists even if there is no wall continuing upstairs. All old houses which have internal brick devideing walls could be carry a trimmer or something. If the wall you are knocking is a stud wall made out timber you should be okay. Make sure you are insured before you start with the demolition and are a bodger who has plenty of strong lads to knock it down but dont know what they are doing. Get a bricklayer or joiner to supervise and you supply labour if you are worrying about cost as its 90 percent labour intensive

wise words ta jeff

There is a guy called Bob Street that did some calcs for me for the rsj when we knocked through to make our Kitchen and Dining room to open plan. I will see if I can find his number. He charged £80 and was recommended by Crown Building Services.

Edited by S10 Landlord