Heads up..norovirus

when we was visiting my grandfather last year many Asians refused to use the hand wash

That's because the queue of us white folk waiting to sanitise is horrendously long.

Washing hands cuts down risks of noro transmission

I sometimes felt that "efficiency" in hospitals meant people were on too tight a schedule to allow washing of hands going from one patient to another.

Biggest culprit of this virus though is heavy use of antibiotics for things like sneezes and man flu. Causing the virus to adapt and mutate. We should clamp down on hypercondriacs they are the most dangerous.

Don't think antibiotics are effective against viruses................

Don't think antibiotics are effective against viruses................

No they are not but using them improves virus's imune system making them into superbugs.

This is scarey stuff. I'm going for my pre op on Monday for gallbladder removal, there's a possibility it's open surgery because I don't have a spleen or small intestine. Because of the spleen issue I am susceptible to overwhelming infection. If handwash doesn't kill the bug & some people won't use it then are there adequate washing facilites to wash hands with soapy hot water? I can't cancel the op because I've been so ill. It's all very worrying.

This is scarey stuff. I'm going for my pre op on Monday for gallbladder removal, there's a possibility it's open surgery because I don't have a spleen or small intestine. Because of the spleen issue I am susceptible to overwhelming infection. If handwash doesn't kill the bug & some people won't use it then are there adequate washing facilites to wash hands with soapy hot water? I can't cancel the op because I've been so ill. It's all very worrying.

Exactly,it is worrying, why can't these filthy disease spreading people just wash their hands with soap and hot water.Hope everything goes ok for you

Thanks Bex, I'm just going to have to be aware of stuff which when your ill sometimes just doesn't happen. Here's hoping.

Hand sanitiser/alcohol gel lasts/is effective for about 2 minutes

Washing hands with hot water last/is effective for 20-25 minutes

Had Norovirus just before Christmas and oh boy dont think ever felt so ill and weak, so I hope anybody that might sadly be struck down with it gets better soon.

when we was visiting my grandfather last year many Asians refused to use the hand wash

Probably because its normally alcohol based.

Probably because its normally alcohol based.

Yawn. And 'yawn' again to meet the minimum word count.

Surprisingly its a lot to do with the visitors not using the hand sanitiser before entering the ward even though its on prominent display.

If they are alcohol based sanitisers they are ineffective against norovirus. Hospitals with these types of hand sanitiser are more likely to have norovirus outbreaks because people use the sanitiser as an alternative to hand washing, which is far more effective.