20 mph signs in Crookes

My bold=

Children shouldn't be playing on/near roads anyway, roads are for traffic and not play grounds.

My kids play in the back yard and have been told not to play near the road. :)

That's ok then cos kids do as they are told all the time.

How do you think kids play? It's their sense of adventure that gets them in trouble.

Oh, so you're saying you don't mind if a suicide bomber blows up the tube again?

What does the London bombings have to do with passengers other than them being victims?

What did suicide bombers have to do with the same incidents?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dZZV7u9fQew

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-1197419/Conspiracy-fever-As-rumours-swell-government-staged-7-7-victims-relatives-proper-inquiry.htmlhttp://

I believe the point the OP was making was that 20mph is too fast to drive on those roads without damage to your car from the potholes...

Or am I the only one who read it like that, rather than seeing "20mph limit" and going off in a rage about the nanny state?

Now that the Council have put up all the 20mph signs on the side roads in Crookes, does that mean it is compulsory to travel at said speed?

If I was to drive at 20 mph on say, Bradley Street or Cobden view Road, I am sure my car would fall to bits, as the roads are in such dire condition. There is no way you would drive at that speed on any of the side roads in Crookes without damage to your car.

Seems a bit of a waste of money in my opinion.

Have driven up Cobden from School Road to Springvale Road at 20mph loads of times without any probs - and on quite a few of the other side roads.

I think it is refreshing to see that SCC has the optimism to think that it's possible to drive as fast as 20 mph on the side roads of Crookes, as if the potholes don't deter you, the randomly abandoned cars on both sides of the roads make it nearly impossible to reach such a high speed, with any degree of safety:lol:!!

Blimey, looking at that map it doesn't look as if our end of Crookes is getting done until 2017, I think by that time the roads will have disintigrated.

The 20 zones will be treated with the contempt they deserve. In other words, I will ignore it.

You do understand that you don't get to decide what the law is, right?

You do understand that you don't get to decide what the law is, right?

new APCO guidelines issued last year, particularly with relevance to new 20mph areas that are going in all over the country (Birmingham, Manchester, York & Bristol are the latest to adopt the default 20mph in residential areas)

I don't know what SYP's response will be. Some police forces are enforcing them, some not.

http://www.roadsafetygb.org.uk/news/3127.html

he new guidance recommends that at speeds between 24-31mph a driver should be offered the option of attending a speed awareness course or a fixed penalty notice fine. At speeds of 35mph plus a summons will be issued.

Careful, there are tons of police hanging around in Crookes too to catch people speeding in the 20s.

Careful, there are tons of police hanging around in Crookes too to catch people speeding in the 20s.

Quite frankly, I'm surprised the mighty Police helicopter hasn't been put into emergency Crookes patrolling services. I'm pretty sure a motorised wheelchair's just gone past my facility at a death defying 21mph!

People attempting these crazy stunts deserve the full wrath of the Law ... I'm talking 'Death Penalty' type corrective punishment here.

Well done SCC for acting so responsibly yet again. The sooner side-streets become pedestrian only, the better ... fine people for doing nothing wrong whatsoever ... we all know it makes sense! :thumbsup:

Well done SCC for acting so responsibly yet again. The sooner side-streets become pedestrian only, the better ... fine people for doing nothing wrong whatsoever ... we all know it makes sense! :thumbsup:

That would be the ideal- way too many cars bombing around at stupid speeds, way too many young children getting killed/maimed by them. A world without cars is my dream.

Till then, I reckon 20mph limit is an excellent idea.