Teen executed in 1944 may get a new trial

Wow, and breathe....

No I just ask one technical point and you threw your instant hissy fit because someone dared to question your beloved Union... :roll:

---------- Post added 23-01-2014 at 02:07 ----------

It's so blindingly obvious that I won't even bother to explain it, since you and the H are just going to take your usual synthetic affront to it.

I was hardly alive in 1944 so what the USA "permitted" as far as capital punishment is concerned I havent a clue. Segregation in the southern states seems to have been ignored by the Federal government but here we are getting into the legalities of state laws and state's rights at a time in history when American kids of 18 and 19 were over in Europe giving up their lives to help Britain win a war it could not have won on it's own.

I feel compelled to get on your case because you are one of those posters who consistantly jump on the wagon every time a thread is started about "how dumb" or "only in America" being the thread subject. I dont particularly care what your feelings are but if I can ram home a point and burst your bubble somewhat I feel that my time hasnt been completely wasted :D

Maybe you should google YouTube and search for some jackass out on the street with a camera who walked along Fifth avenue N.Y, asked several people where the British Isles were and when the correct answer was received kept going until he finally found a fellow jackass who didnt have a clue then recorded the whole scene with a humorous comment that obviously he was typical of all Americans. That's how it works boyo and that's what people like you feed on when it comes to this forum. You could then post it as a link on SF under an appropriate heading of which I'm sure you'd have no trouble thinking up but you wouldnt be the first to have done that... not by a long shot.

It's too bad that Skye TV never airs "Jeopardy" in your neck of the woods. You might get an education that there are many here who have more brains in their ass than you and all your other phobes put together. I'd like to see any of you answer correctly a tenth of the general knowledge questions that are put to them by the program host.

Edited by Harleyman

Does posting that make you smarter than smart ?

---------- Post added 23-01-2014 at 06:14 ----------

Thank you. I really have never heard that expression used before.

There was a Tv commercial years ago in the UK with a beaming housewife holding up a dish cloth or a bed sheet or something or other burbling on about how Persil washing powder washed her "whites whiter than white"

Or was it Daz or Bleacho? Cant remember

Edited by Harleyman

There was a Tv commercial years ago in the UK with a beaming housewife holding up a dish cloth or a bed sheet or something or other burbling on about how Persil washing powder washed her "whites whiter than white"

Or was it Daz or Bleacho? Cant remember

Never heard of Daz, never heard of Bleacho. Never heard of Persil. Evidently I missed something growing up in California. Does no one in the UK use BORAX for laundry? Amazing stuff. :thumbsup:

Now that I think about it, that expression makes no sense. Why not just say white and be done with it?

What's that saying, "two nations divided by a common language?" :hihi:

Those of us in the US are at a disadvantage. American TV programs are wildly popular all over the world and people hear American expressions and particularly west coast slang. Foreign programs are not nearly as popular over here.

The husband and I once met a young man from Romania who was working at a winery. He spoke flawless english, albeit with a slight accent. We were astounded when he told us he'd learned it all from American TV shows and video games.

It most assuredly is not the case. There were some child executions in the south in the 19th Century I believe, but none under 18 in recent memory.

Although the US doesn't draw the line for people with learning disabilities.

The number of executions in Florida, Texas and the recent barbaric slaughter in Ohio bring shame to the whole country.

I snipped the frothing that you came up with to get to the content...

You may like to note that not once did I criticise the USA in my posts - I asked one question hoping for a sensible answer which Buck was knid enough to provide.

You - predictably as ever - immediatly saw offence where none was and went off foaming with righteous synthetic indignation and decided - predictably - the best course of damage limitation is to attack.

Mafya posted a perfectly reasonable link for someone. Again, you decide, instantly to attack and abuse.

Quite why you need to to this is beyond me.

Want to know why America is hated the world over by people? Want to know why there is a strong anti USA contingent on here?

Look in the mirror. The reason is looking right back at you.

And then wind your neck in boyo. You'll annoy less people and might have a more pleasant life and lower blood pressure if you do.

It matters a very great deal that as a society we reflect on the wrong that was done in our name by the system that allowed the conviction and execution of individuals that were not guilty. Can people get there heads round that.

The state (whichever it is) by its police force and prosecuting agency press on with a case which results in the killing by the state of a citizen.

If we do not look and learn the lessons how do we as a society make certain that such disgraceful events are not repeated.

A teenage boy was executed (how any society can condone the execution of children is beyond me) how many days after the offence ?

How is that due process with proper investigation and examination of the evidence

The fact he was black in a deeply segregated society just makes it worse - and I struggle to understand how anyone alive today can do anything other than thank our stars we are where we are -

For our American friend - what year was Rosa Parkes asks to move herself on a bus having sat in a seat reserved for white folks ??

I am surprised you weren't able to check the date of Rosa Parks challenge. It was December 1, 1955. Unless you were looking for Rosa Parkes of course.

---------- Post added 23-01-2014 at 12:54 ----------

It wasn't elegantly made but he was making a fair point, inasmuch as the justice system in the US is still heavily biased against non white people.
It is heavily biased against those who commit crimes, no matter what color they are. Most violent crimes in the US happen in Black or Hispanic neighborhoods of major cities. This is not a racist statement, it is fact. Asians are not white, yet there is little crime among them. They are usually excellent scholars and good family people. If you want fairness, tell the gangs to stop killing each other. But you're Halibut, and that wouldn't do, would it.:rant:

I snipped the frothing that you came up with to get to the content...

You may like to note that not once did I criticise the USA in my posts - I asked one question hoping for a sensible answer which Buck was knid enough to provide.

You - predictably as ever - immediatly saw offence where none was and went off foaming with righteous synthetic indignation and decided - predictably - the best course of damage limitation is to attack.

Mafya posted a perfectly reasonable link for someone. Again, you decide, instantly to attack and abuse.

Quite why you need to to this is beyond me.

Want to know why America is hated the world over by people? Want to know why there is a strong anti USA contingent on here?

Look in the mirror. The reason is looking right back at you.

And then wind your neck in boyo. You'll annoy less people and might have a more pleasant life and lower blood pressure if you do.

See (highlighted) this is what I'm talking about. Your wild assertions and exaggerations at work again :hihi: Some people in some countries, notably in the middle east may hate the USA but not all people in all countries in the middle east hate the USA either Why people on the forum have an anti-US bias is quite understandanble since they are all either Muslim or old former Marxists but they don't represent Sheffield by a long shot either

So glad you enjoyed my previous post anyway :D

---------- Post added 23-01-2014 at 18:04 ----------

Although the US doesn't draw the line for people with learning disabilities.

The number of executions in Florida, Texas and the recent barbaric slaughter in Ohio bring shame to the whole country.

Wrong. What brings shame to certain areas, notabaly the big inner city areas is the slaughter going on between black and hispanic gangs over the drug trade. Personally it dont matter to me a bit. It means one less useless mouth in prison being fed, cothed and housed by the taxpayer but when an innocent bystander is killed during one of their shootouts or a person robbed and murdered by some dope head to feed his cravings then the gas chamber is what I call fair and equitable justice.

Edited by Harleyman

Wow, and breathe....

No I just ask one technical point and you threw your instant hissy fit because someone dared to question your beloved Union... :roll:

---------- Post added 23-01-2014 at 02:07 ----------

It's so blindingly obvious that I won't even bother to explain it, since you and the H are just going to take your usual synthetic affront to it.

It's been my experience that whenever Sierra comments on her country, she is not afraid to include statements on what is wrong with it. She tells the truth as she sees it, and if you don't like it, too bad. She knows America a lot more than you ever will, and more than I. I don't know why SF hates America so much. America doesn't hate Sheffield as far as I know, even if they know where it is. They liked The Full Monty, they even put it on Broadway with American accents, to please y'all. Edited by buck

Wait until the day when the L.A Galaxie come over to Sheffield and beat the living crap out of United at Bramall Lane. Then you'll really have a reason to hate us

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-us-canada-25831553

???

whats the point?

would there be any new evidence?

hes no longer around to tell his side of the story

The point is it should be made clear that an injustice was done here. We don't have all the information on this, I'm certain, but I think the idea was to clear his name, if possible, or at the very least hold the State of South Carolina responsible for what seems to be a clear miscarriage of justice. I'm sure his relatives would love to have his name cleared though the judge stated she would only be able to determine if he got a fair trial which I think its a no brainer that he didn't. Can't bring him back though.

An injustice was done in the sense that he should not have been executed at such a tender age.

In the matter of his actual guilt that's another issue. I imagine just about anyone who was involved in that case is now dead and many documents pertaining to the case assigned to the shredder or the round shaped bin years ago. Courts seldom put stuff that old into the computer

There are members of the vicitms family, nieces I think who are still alive and stated that they are still convinced that he was guilty

Edited by Harleyman