Tapton hill road

Any one remember tapton hill road or verrnon terrace late 60 /70s

Was there an off licence at the junction of Vernon Terrace and Manchester Rd.? If so, I remember it. Used to cycle up Vernon Terrace and cut through to Lydgate Lane. 58 years ago.

Was there an off licence at the junction of Vernon Terrace and Manchester Rd.? If so, I remember it. Used to cycle up Vernon Terrace and cut through to Lydgate Lane. 58 years ago.

Yes there was, it was run by the Jenkins family for many years. There was another shop higher up Vernon Terrace too, at the junction with Tapton Bank.

Yes I remember it, it was definitely there at that time.

The Jenkins family had a son, who, I think, went to Lydgate school 1953 ish.

Another good memory there. The Jenkins must have run the offie for years...what's there now?

Another good memory there. The Jenkins must have run the offie for years...
According to the directories I have, Walter Jenkins took over the shop from Harold Snape some time between 1942 and 1953, and he still had it when the last Kelly's directory was compiled in 1973.

...what's there now?
To judge from Google Earth, not a lot..:| Edited by hillsbro

Thanks Hillsbro. Wish I'd not seen it as it is now! It must be about 40 years since I shopped there.

... There was another shop higher up Vernon Terrace too, at the junction with Tapton Bank.
Directories from the mid-1930s to the late 1950s show this as "Albert D. Topham, grocer". In the 1960s the business was in the name of L. Bennett, and from c. 1970, P. Sproson..:)

Another good memory there. The Jenkins must have run the offie for years...what's there now?

I think it's a private house/flat. I don't go past very often now, I'll have a closer look next time I do.