MP says Hendersons Relish is a copy

If I remember correctly, when I was a lad, many years ago, it said on the Heno's label "Worcester type sauce". In America I have seen bottles of Worcester sauce with "London recipe" on the label but then they don't know any better over there.

I prefer Geo Watkins Mushroom Ketchup anyway....he says, lighting the blue touchpaper and retiring

I prefer Geo Watkins Mushroom Ketchup anyway....he says, lighting the blue touchpaper and retiring

They're all nice. All very different.

Question: when did Henderson's start using the orange label? Same for Lee & Perrin's.

Jim Dowd, MP for Lewisham West and Penge, Said, in parliament, that in a London pub he asked for Worcester Sauce and was given something called Hendedrsons Relish, which appeared to be something from Sheffield.

He used it as an example of well known products being undercut by cheap imitations.

Nick Clegg is a Sheffield MP.

Ask him to immediately refute this dreadful slur on a famous Sheffield product.

But isnt everything a copy of something?

Even Mr Dowd is a copy of his mum and his dad (not exact i know but still a copy) so for him to get on his high horse now seems a little like hypocrisy.

Big fan of Worcester sauce (probably rather secretively prefer it) but they don't taste the same at all to me.

So let's turn this into a positive thing. WHY hasn't other people outside of Republic of Sheffield ever heard of Henderson's Relish ? Exactly what went wrong there then ? Huh ?

Even I use the term worcester sauce to describe a taste, and most people understand this. If I said "it tastes like Henderson's relish". Most people will ask "Who is Henderson?"

Henderson's Relish could have been big...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Worcestershire_sauce

Worcestershire sauce was exported out of the country earlier on in history and hence this is why it dominated the market and the name. Other countries have then adopted and modified the recipe and increased the thickness of the sauce. Even in Japan, the sauce "Bulldog" is now considered as a main sauce in Japan's kitchen because it is brewed from fruits, and does not have fish added to it.

Isn't there an opportunity for Henderson's Relish to produce a set of product which sells abroad ??

Also according to the wiki article, Lea & Perrin's have now opened a factory in China to cater for the local taste over there. As this small sauce has made its way to be a set main dipping sauce when it comes to dim sums. (How about that for authenticities?)

Just emailed the MP, hope everybody else does as well.

Flood his inbox.

although not recently it would appear as the last post on that thread was over 5 years ago!

True but the other threads were just general talk about Henderson's.

So let's turn this into a positive thing. WHY hasn't other people outside of Republic of Sheffield ever heard of Henderson's Relish ? Exactly what went wrong there then ? Huh ?

Even I use the term worcester sauce to describe a taste, and most people understand this. If I said "it tastes like Henderson's relish". Most people will ask "Who is Henderson?"

Henderson's Relish could have been big...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Worcestershire_sauce

Worcestershire sauce was exported out of the country earlier on in history and hence this is why it dominated the market and the name. Other countries have then adopted and modified the recipe and increased the thickness of the sauce. Even in Japan, the sauce "Bulldog" is now considered as a main sauce in Japan's kitchen because it is brewed from fruits, and does not have fish added to it.

Isn't there an opportunity for Henderson's Relish to produce a set of product which sells abroad ??

Also according to the wiki article, Lea & Perrin's have now opened a factory in China to cater for the local taste over there. As this small sauce has made its way to be a set main dipping sauce when it comes to dim sums. (How about that for authenticities?)

They have chosen not to expand in to other markets. I think they prefer Hendersons to be very local and rather rare.

I consider Henderson's to be Sheffield's little secret.

Frankly, the thought of some southerner distorting his face in disgust (thinking he was getting the inferior L & P's) bothers me.

It's ours; let's keep it this way.

As you see, an opportunity to let a local produce be sold everywhere and they have not taken this chance to do so.

To be honest, brewed condiments have a long history and it isn't just Sheffield who brewed theirs but other cities across the whole country. If I remember correctly, sauces of this type kind of evolved from Anglo-Saxon days. I remember reading about this kind of thing when I was a kid at school in Sheffield. Browsing over recipes for home economics.

I do wonder though, how much the MP actually knows about British cuisines and how they came about. If they do not even know, then how can they export any goods, which had no records or history of belonging to Britain ?

Edited by salsafan