Moving to Lodge Moor

Forgot to mention - Thyme in x-pool is probably the best restaurant in Sheffield IMHO.

You lucky bugger those new houses in Lodge Moor are lovely.

I went for a drive round when they were first built just to torture myself for a while! :D i really need to get a life.

Tas 1,

Thanks for the info, I am currently a home owner in Widnes (bought a new Barretts house 6 years ago) where I am relocating from. David Wilson at Lodge Moore do not want to participate in a part exchange, which is making life a bit more difficult.

In response to your question I have no idea about Sheffield house buying policies, please elaborate!!!

Bapi

I moved to Lodge Moor just before Christmas. Originally lived in Penistone about 14 miles north so I didn't move as far as you're intending. I have to say that I moved under duress (the wife wanted the move but I didn't) but I really like the place. I live about 500yds from the DW estate and the area is very clean and quiet, crime & vandelism free and best of all, right on the edge of the glorious countryside. There's a small row of shops on Redmires Rd (500 yds away) which has Post Office, Greengrocers, Newsagent etc. For anything bigger, you're going to have to drive to Crosspool (about 2 miles) for Spar type shops and takeaways etc. There's a couple of play area's if you have kids, one behind the DW estate and Spider Park, just up the road. A couple of pubs are very good, 3 merry lads & ???? across the road from it. If you drive past the DW estate and the pubs, the road ends at the Redmires resevoirs, lovely walking and cycling country. Lots of good shops in city centre (John Lewis) and fashionable designer shops about 3 miles away (Eccleshall Rd - cafe society area). Cinema's.... There are multi-plexes around but there is a gem of a cinema called The Showroom, which is an indepent cinema concentrating on non-hollywood fare. Theatres - a couple of top class venues (Crucible & Lyceum) that get their fair share of rave revues.

As for buying in Sheffield, it can be a complete nightmare. We ended up staying with parents for 6 months as the house purchase went through. You have to be in a very strong position (your house sold) and then prepare to outbid people way over the house price. We looked at one house up for £275,000 that sold for £315,000, and that is not uncommon. Your best bet is actually to buy a new DW house. That way you'll avoid all the gazumping that goes on. I could go on .......

If you want any more info feel free to ask.

Regards

Col

PS. The locals are also very friendly. I come from Cheshire myself (but don't tell anyone else :)

Cols,

Thanks for the reply, but please feel free to continue the more information for us newcomers from Cheshire the better. We are intending to buy a new DW house for some of the reasons you have identified but they have yet to confirm a price (~£430 - 450,000) for the property since it is not built or on the market.

What is council tax like in the area? If all goes well we should be moving in this Christmas.

Thanks again for the feedback the more information the better.

It's the sportsmans opposite! And the kite flyers go out there at the weekends.

I'd buy new if you can from that estate - we went £25,000 over the asking price - it's really common in that you start at the asking procie, then get about 2 weeks of viewings done, then it goes to close of bids when typically it's be a about 10 -20% more, and preferences given to cash/first time buyers).

Archers in x-pool are good, as with them they'll let you out bid, rather than do this silly close of bids thing.

Once we were even the highest on a house, and I was a first time buyer, with mortgage agreed, and.... Went to someone else.

Originally posted by Bapi

What is council tax like in the area?

More info can be found here

http://www.sheffield.gov.uk/facts--figures/sheffields-budget/how-sheffields-council-tax-compares

At that price you will be in band H, which is about £2300, but dont forget 2004/5 rates are likely to be 6% higher

Originally posted by Cols

I come from Cheshire myself (but don't tell anyone else :)

Originally posted by Bapi

the more information for us newcomers from Cheshire the better.

Mass exodus from Cheshire? what is this? I suppose it dont have the same catch now Posh and Becks have moved out.

Only joking, hope you get sorted Bapi and Cols you can be an adopted Sheffielder;)

Ps I have a stone in my garden if you guys are interested that has "Wirrell Way" inscribed on it (previous owners were from Cheshire) Free to good home, it will remind you of home:thumbsup:

Originally posted by mikey

Mass exodus from Cheshire? what is this?

<*cough*> I'm from Cheshire too! <*cough*>

Nomme

Although I'm from Cheshire (Hyde, just the other side of Glossop) my wife is a native (of Sheffield). Hope this makes amends.

Col

Originally posted by tas1

Archers in x-pool are good, as with them they'll let you out bid, rather than do this silly close of bids thing.

Doesn't this result in people hovering nervously in Archers' office at 12 noon on deadline-day, all giving each other the evil-eye, ears clamped to mobiles and inching up by bids of £500 a time in some cruel game of brinkmanship??

Ive recently been looking at the new apartments at lodge moor. Having not lived in an apartment before, I worry about noise from other residents, does anyone know if this is a problem?