AFFINITY LGBT venue closes 1st Feb.

Hi, Folks, just to put the record straight following hearing the news from a friend last night and checking at Affinity bar today:

It is with a deep breath and a heavy heart that I say this, but after a long career spanning almost a decade, including a move from Campo Lane to its current location at 10, Arundel Gate, that AFFINITY has been sold by its owners and shuts its doors for the last time after its Farewell Party on FEBRUARY 1ST.

Do come along on Feb 1st, to say goodbye and to reminisce and hopefully we'll all be seeing each other at the other remaining gay venues as well as a certain new one opening in March!

From what I have reliably heard (and checked), the venue is being taken over by the new owners as of the beginning of February, and it will become a regular pub again (possibly being renamed the Mulberry). After the 'closing party' on Feb 1st, it will be shut for a couple of weeks for a refit; again as far as I have been told, it will reopen as a pub from Feb. 15th.

Do pop by during the remaining couple of weeks to wish the staff and management well in the coming months!:love:

Finally, the LGBT weddings fair planned to run at the venue on Feb 8th will now be moved to the ICONS Bar at 52/54 West Street.

Hi, Folks, just to put the record straight following hearing the news from a friend last night and checking at Affinity bar today:

It is with a deep breath and a heavy heart that I say this, but after a long career spanning almost a decade, including a move from Campo Lane to its current location at 10, Arundel Gate, that AFFINITY has been sold by its owners and shuts its doors for the last time after its Farewell Party on FEBRUARY 1ST.

Do come along on Feb 1st, to say goodbye and to reminisce and hopefully we'll all be seeing each other at the other remaining gay venues as well as a certain new one opening in March!

From what I have reliably heard (and checked), the venue is being taken over by the new owners as of the beginning of February, and it will become a regular pub again (possibly being renamed the Mulberry). After the 'closing party' on Feb 1st, it will be shut for a couple of weeks for a refit; again as far as I have been told, it will reopen as a pub from Feb. 15th.

Do pop by during the remaining couple of weeks to wish the staff and management well in the coming months!:love:

Finally, the LGBT weddings fair planned to run at the venue on Feb 8th will now be moved to the ICONS Bar at 52/54 West Street.

It never really was the same after the move from Campo Lane and hardly a surprise to hear. Best wishes to all.

I'm dissapointed to hear this but it's hardly a surprise if i'm honest. Charging to get into a venue that is decorated like it's straight out of the 70's to find it's empty inside 90% of the time. It offered nothing to the scene in terms of clubnights and events. When will Sheffield realise that drag nights/queens are not what the masses want? It just highlights how dated and tacky it was/is.

I disagree strongly with andy and squadron !

it was always a great classic little venue and I have had many happy nights there over the last 5 years - some classic DJ and dance nights, great music system, famous djs, amazing friendly staff, games machines, free pool nights, milestone nights like hosting the cheeky girls for Pride, the drag queen Penny Change and other drag queens including our famous Tia Anna :-O , the straight urban nights, the downstairs men only nights, X-factor nights, Karaoke, going back further the classic Wednesday eveing games nights from the lovely Crystal, even a clairvoyant night !!- thay always tried different things and so gutted it is closing down. Less choice available now on the Sheffield scene until the new ones open !

If it does revert to the Mulberry Tavern, the old Mulberry Tavern was a scummy dangerous, chavvy , divey straight place and I would not like to see it revert to that !!

Thanks to all the staff who worked there for all you did for the Sheffield gay scene over the years !

Penny Change is the worst example of a drag queen I have ever encountered. Talentless to say the least. Hope nowhere else is considering hiring him.

I agree with Andy and Squadron, it was destined to close down, the owners never did much towards the last few months, and the place was always empty when I went in.

Its as if they just "gave up", which is sad really.

Now you are lucky to even get a drink in there, my last trip yesterday night they had no draft beer/lager at all, and offered me a can of Fosters instead, lets hope they get some drinks in for the closing night.

It was excellent at Campo Lane and I was accidently at Icons last night for the "Campo Lane Renunion" which was busy and faces you dont normally see.

Well I assume its tied as I know someone who is looking at taking the lease on. I have told him NOT to call it the Mulberry if he gets any choice in the matter!

Well I assume its tied as I know someone who is looking at taking the lease on. I have told him NOT to call it the Mulberry if he gets any choice in the matter!

I have heard the lease has already been taken. On a no tie arrangement but will need fixtures and fittings as the current ones wont be there (allegedly).

It will return to being operated predominantly as a straight venue.