Fluorescent billboard on Parkway, in front of Magnomatics is annoying!

Solomon probably won't read that, he blocks most people that don't agree with his point of view, in a way I suppose he's blinkered, which would have helped when he was driving past the dazzling billboard.

:hihi:

well angler, you disagree with me, and you're not on my block list, so not sure what your point is? :)

to clarify, i block people who are just dogmatic attention-seekers after a grapple

i really can't be arsed with that kind of bull**** at my age ;)

But please tell us how it goes with the Council and the sign...please do.

I will :D

the sign is not half as annoying as people not useing the overtaking lane on the , coisley hill parkway link,instead of backing up to prince of wales road,thats what its for then filter in, you get the i wont let you in brigade but just filter , makes me laugh they let a police car in when they see them or blue light same in am backlog from roundabout use the right hand lane and filter,if you pas a 13 or 14 plate new car they let you in because they are frightend to get it scratched,and dont wont to run in to the back of your car as that would be them at fault for following to close

Unfortunately, some people just do not get it. Regardless of the road's intended use, they think that queueing in one lane is what you're supposed to do, despite it causing traffic backing up on the Parkway...

I'm more annoyed by the queue-addicts who pile up in the left lane on the Mosborough Parkway stretch of the A57 (The part that goes from the Parkway to Coisley Hill roundabout) then try to not let those of us in who use the two lanes correctly.
This has been well debated on another thread,and if you think it's correct to overtake a line of queuing traffic knowing full well that there is no place to pull back into the LH lane then you are in the wrong.

All you are doing is queue jumping to the annoyance of more patient drivers.

Similar blockages are caused on motorways where traffic merges causing stop/ start lines of traffic instead of a steady flow.

Anyway,back to the thread and the sign is over bright and distracting in my opinion.

You do realise that you're supposed to use both lanes, thus preventing the traffic backing up on to the parkway exit ramps and roundabouts?

...which it currently does because most people seem to think you should all queue in one lane.

I never have a problem filtering into the left lane (as you should do) but there's always one or two people trying to squeeze others out, causing a danger themselves by tailgating the car in front.

Would you mind posting a link for the other thread please? :)

EDIT: Thanks, but I've found the other thread

---------- Post added 22-02-2014 at 13:39 ----------

What I think is the matter is that when they switch ads it makes you refocus and takes your mind off driving. Incar TVs are illegal as they can be distracting yes roadside are not. The ad I don't like at the moment is the one with a black background and green text as it makes it really hard to focus, even if it's in the side of your eye view
In-car TVs are with you throughout the journey, displaying shows/films/images you have chosen to watch and therefore are more interested in. Roadside billboards are something that you pass momentarily, within your vision for a few seconds.

If something like this is making it hard for you to focus on the road you may want to take an eyetest, as there are plenty more roadside distractions that await you in the world.

Just ignore the trolls TBD ;)

Rootsbooster is just after a fight, not interested in other people's reality

You can put people on an 'ignore' list if you wish, by going into your control panel...

It's proven very useful on this thread ;)

If you think that asking reasonable questions, using logical and rational comparisons, is me 'just after a fight' then I think you're the one with the problem. Edited by RootsBooster

I have to agree, the sign is far too bright and the movements on it can be very distracting. I can't believe a sign so bright is allowed to be placed so close to the road

It was only so bright (by contrast) because the carriageway lights on the initial bit of the Parkway went AWOL. I'm sure the light level on the bill-board has been turned down in response to that.

---------- Post added 23-02-2014 at 11:01 ----------

the sign is not half as annoying as people not useing the overtaking lane on the , coisley hill parkway link,instead of backing up to prince of wales road,thats what its for then filter in, you get the i wont let you in brigade but just filter , makes me laugh they let a police car in when they see them or blue light same in am backlog from roundabout use the right hand lane and filter,if you pas a 13 or 14 plate new car they let you in because they are frightend to get it scratched,and dont wont to run in to the back of your car as that would be them at fault for following to close

This was a long thread some time ago.

Whether a queuer or a filterer, an early lane 1-er or a lane 2-er and late filterer, reading others' motives for positioning where and when they do is impossible. Rather than getting het up about others' perceived motives, it is better to subscribe to a "drive, let drive" philosophy - the roads are lousy battle grounds. There is wrong on both sides if it turns into a competition that involves drivers darting at pace and late into small spaces or drivers blocking an overtake.

The most rounded and efficient view of the 2 lane into 1 scenario can be seen in Germany where drivers take it in turn to filter/zip one-by-one at low speed having used all the available two-lane road space. If only we Brits took the same level-headed and logical, non-competitive and low-risk approach to things in contrast to our emotive, right/wrong approach.

Rules 134, 288 of the HC almost agree with the German view of things but don't help a great deal, it has to be said, since "merge in turn" (at low speed) and get into lane "in good time" (I.e. "Queue" (?)) could be seen as contradictory.

Edited by DT Ralge

This was a long thread some time ago.

Whether a queuer or a filterer, an early lane 1-er or a lane 2-er and late filterer, reading others' motives for positioning where and when they do is impossible. Rather than getting het up about others' perceived motives, it is better to subscribe to a "drive, let drive" philosophy - the roads are lousy battle grounds. There is wrong on both sides if it turns into a competition that involves drivers darting at pace and late into small spaces or drivers blocking an overtake.

The problem is that some of the lane 1 queue-bots don't have this philosophy. People using lane 2 drive and let drive automatically, you don't see anyone in lane 2 trying to block people from lane 1.

The most rounded and efficient view of the 2 lane into 1 scenario can be seen in Germany where drivers take it in turn to filter/zip one-by-one at low speed having used all the available two-lane road space. If only we Brits took the same level-headed and logical, non-competitive and low-risk approach to things in contrast to our emotive, right/wrong approach.

Rules 134, 288 of the HC almost agree with the German view of things but don't help a great deal, it has to be said, since "merge in turn" (at low speed) and get into lane "in good time" (I.e. "Queue" (?)) could be seen as contradictory.

...and both rules mean using both lanes, as it should be.

Evening everyone :D

Today I'm gonna have a moan!

Does anyone else drive on the Parkway out of Sheff in the mornings and been dazzled by that new fluorescent billboard on the left side, outside Magnomatics and just in front of the police station?

It's really been gettin my goat...

Please tell me I'm not alone :help:

Love

As Always

Sol

:)

The was one out side the bmw place near the old west bank police station. Although for the moment it has gone.

I have to agree, the sign is far too bright and the movements on it can be very distracting. I can't believe a sign so bright is allowed to be placed so close to the road

Me neither DGWJ

But then money tends to lubricate the strangest of things these days ;)

I and others have complained to Sheffield City Council, and the brightness of some of the adverts has been dimmed as a result.

But they still need some kind of quality control for ALL the ads.

And meanwhile, they need to fix the outed street lights on that section of road as a priority.

Am also in the process of finding out which private vendor owns the billboard and will then complain to them directly.

Good to see that a similar billboard outside the BMW Sytner garage on Broadlane has come down.

That was even worse :)

---------- Post added 23-02-2014 at 14:36 ----------

The was one out side the bmw place near the old west bank police station. Although for the moment it has gone.

haha! you must have read my mind sole :)

yes, that one's been booted, thank the lord! :D

well said rootsbooster,one day all drivers will be as good as us.

to clarify, i block people who are just dogmatic attention-seekers after a grapple

i really can't be arsed with that kind of bull**** at my age ;)

[Translation] I like to dish it out but don't much like it when it comes back [Translation]

Ok folks, have got letter from Council. Apparently there has been a longstanding double sided hoarding at this location....so the digital display was an upgrade, and consent wasn't specifically required for advertisement there.

However, there are standard conditions which all advertisements must adhere to and this includes a clause to ensure that no advertisement shall be displayed so as to endanger persons using any highway.

So the planning service was asked to contact the owner of the hoarding, with respect to avoiding undue distraction to drivers using Sheffield Parkway.

The owner of the hoarding will be visiting the site in the next few days.

---------- Post added 28-02-2014 at 14:15 ----------

:)