Under fives sessions starting again soon at Firth Park Allotment

It’s been quiet on the allotment site over winter but all that’s about to change!

The new growing season is nearly upon us and that means our Veg Patch Kids and Toddler Time sessions are back very soon. The allotment has been specially designed with the under 5s in mind and provides a safe outdoor environment for children to play in and learn about food growing. Even toddlers have benefited from being on site and many parents are amazed with how it helps in getting children to eat fruit and veg.

There will be a special re launch event in the Half Term holidays on Thursday 27th February from 1pm – 3pm with a pirate theme so come dressed as a pirate if you dare! All children under 11 are welcome to come along with a supervising parent or carer to have a look round and take part in lots of fab activities which are free. You’ll be able to find out about all the family sessions and courses that we have on offer and chat to Dot about the site or ask her about growing fruit and veg at home in your garden if you feel inspired by your visit! The big green allotment gate is at the corner where Vickers Drive and Vickers Road meet – just follow the Jolly Rodger flags to the allotment.

Pre Schooler Activities in term times

VegPatch Kids Mondays 10 - 12 From 3rd March

Toddler Time begins again on Thursdays 1 - 3 From 6th March

Childminders are welcome to bring groups along as are nurseries and individual parent/carers

Contact Dot Rodman our Local Food Growing Worker/Playworker – 07985421346 or email dotrodman@heeleyfarm.org.uk

No children on their own are allowed on site - all must be with a supervising adult. Make sure children wear clothes that they don't mind getting messy in!

Firth Park Community Allotment is part of the Heeley City Farm family of growing sites.

Edited by HCF2010
Missed a bit off and spelling wrong date

That's great news I'll put the word out. If you've never been with your little ones give it a try you'll be pleasantly surprised.

Thank you - we've just confirmed that Madame Zucchini will be there for the Pirate Day on 27th Feb and we will be hunting for treasure and plant pots too.................

This sounds like a great project, will be coming along with my little boy. Is there a difference in how you run veg patch kids to toddler time? Just wondering which would better for a 2.5 yr old?

Hi Molls

Basically.....both!

Thursday Toddler Time started in partnership with Surestart many years ago but because some parents asked for another session to fit in with changing work patterns, nap times, starting nursery/school part time developed Veg Patch Kids on Mondays!

Families can then choose which one suits them best, alternate sessions or can attend both.

We understand pre school children have short attention spans so we provide lot of variety and free play areas eg sand pit, digging beds, we create a blackboard of todays tasks which we encourage the child and adults to complete together, making friendships with other families e.g sowing seeds, weeding, watering, digging, planting, transporting bark chipping around site in mini wheel barrows to re surface our paths, litter picks, bug hunts etc.

One of the favourite activities is harvesting fruit and veg, which we aim to make into healthy snacks

Craft materials are also kept on site so we can offer painting, chalking , sticking although we depend on volunteers and parents to help run theses activities.

Glad to hear you're coming along :)

Sounds brilliant, looking forward to it!

Ahoy there mi hearties :)

Pirate Day is upon us tomorrow so we hope to see lots of you there with the little ones.

As well as all the activities we've outlined above we are expecting a visit from a pirate's parrot, who is, funnily enough, the size of a human. Dot said the volunteers who are helping on the day are more excited about dressing up for the event than the kids...........:hihi:

I went here Monday and it was brilliant, will be going again can highly recommend for any age as my little boy is only one :-)

Hi can you tell me how to get here please, thinking of bringing my little one Monday,

X

I went here Monday and it was brilliant, will be going again can highly recommend for any age as my little boy is only one :-)

Really glad you enjoyed it - it gets even better as the weather improves!

Hi can you tell me how to get here please, thinking of bringing my little one Monday,

X

If you get the no 47 or 48 to shiregreen or the no 88 to ecclesfield from the main bus station it will drop you practically at the door. You get off at the stop before Firth Park shopping centre and cross over the road to Vickers Drive - the green allotment gate is at the end of this. If you want any more info just ring Dot - she is lovely and helpful :)

We had the best time here today!

Well worth the journey,

This is more than an allotment group, there's loads for the kids to do,

Thank you to Dot and all the volunteers,

See you next week ???

Glad you enjoyed it :) The sessions are on regularly now every Monday and Thursday - in the school holidays there are play schemes which older children are welcome to join in on so watch this space!