Blank web pages

By the way, note that you are not my manager, so I would not be working for you. At least, I was polite enough to dignify you with an actual answer. You do not have to threaten me in any way and write "watch yourself". Cos it is clear to me that I am being bullied here just because I helped a guy on a forum on a PC issue ! You ever wondered why I am a tad defensive here ??

Just seen this and I need to clarify - I ain't a moderator or admin or anything, but I said to watch yourself because it is one of those people who, if they see stuff like that, will issue the bans and such - you're the one bordering on throwing the bad language in the earlier posting, and you're the one who would be construed as having given a personal attack on another forum member.

Maybe it is indeed surprising to yourself, but my industry I face a lot more users who I have to respect, and have to gain a buy-in, trust and understanding and we find mutual beneficial win-win situations, and not as you have shown here that you will hold a person hostage and question their technical approach, expertise or knowledge. Maybe you do like to degrade others, but this is the reality.

I've worked several jobs that I have to deal directly with customers, both face to face and abstractly. I believe that I have perfectly adequate soft-skills, and never have I felt the need to use "business phraseology" such as "buy in" in order to justify my position with regard to any matter or issue. If you do indeed possess some soft-skills of your own, I suggest that you start using them now. You have been fairly insulting, not only to me but to others here and it's not generally a good way to conduct yourself. I'm not harassing you, I'm hoping that this will be the last post that I make to this thread but I will NOT stand for you accusing me of things that I am not, will not and have not done. I wasn't making any threats against you, neither have I called you names or made any innuendo about you being sexist/racist/homophobic/any other non-PC thing in order to try and leverage more tension on a losing argument.

You do realise that I am still a person posting on the internet, and actually is NOT in the same company as you are, and also this is NOT a professional forum? Yes, that other thread that I posted, I wanted a certain engagement, and when shot down. I shut down and left it at that after being berated again.

I did think to myself that it is indeed the wrong place. I rather find a more professional forum to begin with. So I never have done so again. I found articles which were more relevant and I thought was interesting from a layman's term to begin with which affect others. Some people responded, but others not so. I thought that is it. Simple. I leave it down to those who wants to participate or not.

Because if we were working in the same company, then I would have already gone to my HR to make a formal complaint of this kind of harrassment on me. No doubt about that. On a social level, I expected others to be helpful and actually not dampen and pull someone down when they have tried.

Just because this "isn't a company" or "isn't the company that I work for" (as unfortunately for you, you'd have gone to HR?) doesn't give you the carte blanch right to be disrespectful of other members of the board and have no fear of consequences or reprisals. If you really are that unhappy then I suggest that you report this thread to a moderator then, or failing that then hope that they don't see it themselves. If any mod approaches me about this, I will state exactly the same to them as what I have stated in this thread, and that you yourself are the one that is possibly currently treading a fine line of defamation of character of at least myself in this instance by trying to make out that I'm bullying you, playing on sexism etc etc. As I've already stated, the warning that I gave you was to be careful as you were gradually sailing at breaking forum rules - it's up to moderators et al to decide if rules have been broken or not in this case, if/when they chose to review this thread themselves. I personally take exception to some of the stuff that you've said and admit that I have retaliated whilst keeping it the right side of civil with the view that it's still a "family forum", but will I be reporting it? No - it's up to them to decide if any action should be taken once they see this for themselves.

If you noticed, I also already said what I know, and what I do not know etc. I do not try and sell what I am not. IF you read what I wrote, then you would have known this. I do not understand why you seem to think that I was also misleading him in any way. Cos how can you help someone with a simple message of "I have a white screen" ? What? Not enough information. When I dabbled in to help, others like yourself and the others just wade in to criticise and to attack. What the heck ?

You threw a statement along the lines of "I know your type" about me earlier - right back at you... You can't stand to be critiqued/criticised and advised when you've made a mistake. You'd be great in politics or management... Most of them don#t really know what they're doing or how to get the job done either, yet take great delight in 'advising' what should be done and how to do it.

Just as I finished typing that, I see you've escalated in the exact way that I warned you about:

You did not wade in to help. You waded in and threw your weight around a certain area and clarified that, instead of helping the user diagnose his issue based on what he wrote. He wrote something quite simply. I saw his thread being left alone for quite a bit and then I did take pity and then I tried. My intention was never to mislead him. He asked openly and honestly "does anyone know" ? I already wrote something along the lines of "ugh.. this sounds convoluted". Which I knew it will be. Yet, I still tried and attempted to help him despite this.

When I found the solution and did some testing, THEN you derailed and wrote on and on about architecture and so forth. I never claim to be focusing on this or that I am an expert here. Yet you decided to do that, when really the thread was so simple.

I am holier than thou? Sorry, I think you misread this. I was annoyed that you took the thread and turned it down a specific direction. THAT is why I am annoyed. There you go. You got that specifically from me directly from my mind, and not based on your own assumption as to why I was angry.

Let me ask you this simple question, would you not be offended if someone tar you with a bad brush, bait you, even when you tried to help someone, paint you as an *edited*, and then still patronise you with extra information, and then rile others to join in and to harrass you ? Oh, right. I should keep my cool. Yes, I did not have to be defensive and attack you in return about "soft skills". As obviously, you also have a lot of it too. Right.

People may leave a thread alone whilst they themselves are research in an appropriate answer. Seperately, they may just not have seen the thread yet. If you don't have the knowledge to give a reasoned answer, then don't muddy the waters. You state that your intention was not to mislead but yet it was this exact point that I thought that you were misleading. Other people, aside from the OP would also read this in years to come and potentially think that this was a valid point when infact it was not.

To the OP: I'm sorry that this thread has descended into a stupid argument and that the solution clearly has not been found to your satisfaction. You're on the right track about replicating the issue on another machine, if it isn't replicable then again it suggests system software or configuration on the other machine. If it is replicable but retractable, you need to verify what's installed and configured the same vs differently between the two systems.

Yes you did say what your areas of expertise were but you also posted stuff that was outside those areas and some of what you posted was incorrect. That is what I pulled you up on. Now I don't know where you got those misunderstandings from, someone may have told you incorrect information for all I know, but if you are going to post statements on the web and they are incorrect you should expect people to point it out - particularly in the technical area of a forum. You can then do your own research to check what they said and/or improve your understanding of the matter or you can complain they attacked you. One of those actions will get you little sympathy.

You do realise that at the end of the day, this forum is more of a social hobbyist kind of social interaction and that is the level it is pitched at ? Was he asking for technical and specific information? No, he was asking for ideas and understanding. What is the point of you pulling me up on small bits of info which is not relevant here or there ? Was I trying to be the expert in those areas? I was trying to tell him from a hobbyist's view that these areas can be looked into.

Anyway, if this was two people sitting in a cafe and talking, then why would you actually be obtuse and pull up on them on that? Why can't you just hold onto your tongue and not berate them since that was not the intent of their discussion if at all ?

THAT is what is flipping me the most to be very frank. Nobody expects the Spanish inquisition afterall, and nobody expected to lay their absolute employment credentials for all to see and to brag and to compete with one another. Well, maybe some of you do, but I normally do not do this. I just feel baited and riled and I had to justify myself. Jesus.

---------- Post added 19-01-2014 at 17:53 ----------

I have not read any more of your insinuation or even bothered any more. I know what you did, and when and so forth. I have often met people like yourself also who hold others for accountabilities, when you forget the context that you are in socially. I have raised this often in this thread but you seem to fail to see this.

I have nothing more to say. Yes, you can judge a person and so forth based on what they write, but you also have absolutely NO right to also berate someone's reputation, in their jobs, and in their private lives too. Of which you did do that here. Yes, I realised that I got baited and yes, I was obtuse, cos it is the same things happening again, and I doubt that the mods will actually intervene once again cos they are often biased.

It is no wonder that some people are harrassed off certain section of the forums and leave those "gangs" back on.

I have nothing more to add. I cannot even BELIEVE you challenged me on logic. Absolutely atrocious!

I have written again and again that I am here to help the person and that was my intention. To then have you say that was not my intention and actually challenge and argue with me on that is what is classed as bullying. Simple. Even if you fail to do that. What I said could be right, it could be wrong, but how and who made you the judge to say whether it was right or if it was wrong? Since you do not have those facts in front of you either and it is not your machine. From my side, I respected the person and I ASKED him frankly with respect. Hence, I do NOT expect anyone to trash me if at all. I certainly don't walk around with a badge of honor to say that "if I have the wrong information then I won't say at all". If he does not tell me and communicate with me what he has and has not done, why should you hold me hostage against that?

It seems that you care so much for your own reputation, and you have your own assumption, than you really read and accept, and even acknowledge what others have to say.

I have nothing more to say to you. Cos yes, I do FEEL harrassed by you ! Simple. Nothing to moderate about that if at all. Please do leave me alone. Cos frankly, I don't trust you any more. I have no desire to fight you, or to berate you. I will go ahead and block you.

Edited by salsafan

Just to answer a couple of questions put to me, if I am viewing the forum using IE I can navigate the site without problems but if some-one has put up a link to another site for example a Youtube video or anything else the page just goes blank although the address can be seen. I think I tried using IE without add ons but will do it again just to make sure and may very well get the machine wiped and then re-install Windows 7 although the machine was wioed only a few weeks back and I'd even reverted to the earliest restore point I could find which again didn't resolve the issue.

I have not read any more of your insinuation or even bothered any more.

Thus proves my opinion of you of the holier than thou attitude. If you'd been listening earlier, you'd perhaps not have escalated to swearing.

Let me ask you this simple question, would you not be offended if someone tar you with a bad brush, bait you, even when you tried to help someone, paint you as an *edited*, and then still patronise you with extra information, and then rile others to join in and to harrass you ? Oh, right. I should keep my cool. Yes, I did not have to be defensive and attack you in return about "soft skills". As obviously, you also have a lot of it too. Right.

To answer this, isn't this somewhat what you have done to me? Others on this thread were speaking for themselves and I was just agreeing with them or they with me. You may have felt ganged up on, but I was not "working in tandem" to tag-team you or anyone, nor have I ever done that here. Their opinions are their own and mine are mine. You were the one who threw the first stone of escalation when you started vehemently arguing and made it more personal, against me especially (you know the post, I've already outlined previously that I took personal exception to Post 17, and it escalated from there.)

I have nothing more to add. I cannot even BELIEVE you challenged me on logic. Absolutely atrocious!

My logic has been sound. You've been acting like the petulant child for a few posts now. Absolutely atrocious? As I feel is your attitude up to this point too, thanks.

I have nothing more to say to you. Cos yes, I do FEEL harrassed by you ! Simple. Nothing to moderate about that if at all.

I'm sorry that you feel that way (I have appologised now, so I hope that we can be bigger than what this has become) but I'm quitely hopeful that you may now step aside with regards to this discussion and let others such as dosxuk or altus actually attempt to work towards resolution of the OPs enquiry. I'm stepping aside from this now - you've said you feel harrassed? Ignore everything I say from this point forward then, as I'll certainly be ignoring you.

Just to answer a couple of questions put to me, if I am viewing the forum using IE I can navigate the site without problems but if some-one has put up a link to another site for example a Youtube video or anything else the page just goes blank although the address can be seen.

So links within a site are fine, but when the link goes to another domain they always fail to load?

Try resetting your browser security settings to default. Click the cog icon in the top right, select "Internet Options", then the "Security" tab. Click the "Reset all zones to default level" button - if it's not available then all the settings are already at the default level.

Also, when you get the blank page, does the page title appear in the tab, or does it just say "loading" or the address of the page?

Finally, what is shown if you right click the blank page and select "view source"?

No if i'm on any site and click on a link taking me to a different site the page wont load or display, I get the hour glass logo appearing next to the pointer and that's how it'll stay. I tried a right click and absolutely nothing, no menu appears. I've already tried resetting my security to the default status and even tried reducing it further to see what would happen but again nothing. In the blue bar right up at the top of the screen it just says internet explorer and in the address box there is a web address showing like below

http://uk.search.yahoo.com/search;_ylt=A0SO819oG9xS_y0ANz9KBQx.?p=blank%20web%20pages&fr=sfp&pqstr=blank%20web%20pages

This is after typing into Yahoo search 'blank web pages and then in the list of results coming up clicking on the first one to open it

Not related to add-ons ? :rolleyes:

The previous link talked about registry keys based on the numerous installing and reinstalling which could also affect it. Any junk left here that conflicts ?

Then also remember that each install and reinstall requires you to cleanly reboot to let new settings take place.

http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/ie/forum/ie9-windows_vista/new-tab-page-on-internet-explorer-keeps-changing/6dd63d7a-1181-4ffb-a256-225ba5a528e1

The above link also mentioned that your data from the web server may also not come through too due to anti-virus softwares settings.

Just make sure while you try to fix the white page issue, ensure no anti-virus checker blocks what is coming in. Also no install right issues. You can then play to your hearts content on the Web Server > Browser process flow and figure out if this is IE config settings.

Edited by salsafan

No if i'm on any site and click on a link taking me to a different site the page wont load or display, I get the hour glass logo appearing next to the pointer and that's how it'll stay. I tried a right click and absolutely nothing, no menu appears. I've already tried resetting my security to the default status and even tried reducing it further to see what would happen but again nothing. In the blue bar right up at the top of the screen it just says internet explorer and in the address box there is a web address showing like below

http://uk.search.yahoo.com/search;_ylt=A0SO819oG9xS_y0ANz9KBQx.?p=blank%20web%20pages&fr=sfp&pqstr=blank%20web%20pages

This is after typing into Yahoo search 'blank web pages and then in the list of results coming up clicking on the first one to open it

Remove the cache from the equation - whilst the IE window is selected hit shift+control+P and this should open up a seperate "in private" IE browsing window - when it asks at the bottom if you want to enable add-ons, make sure you enable nothing - do you still have the same behaviour or can you browse normally?

Seperately, do you have any other sort of software firewall installed aside from the in-built Windows 7 one?

It is not a website, but a proprietary systems that will have this, and there are other add-ons like google toolbar which are active X components itself.

Erm no it isn't. IE can run ActiveX components through the browser. This is why so much of the corporate world is still stuck on IE6, they're using websites talking to systems via ActiveX and those components only work on IE6.

In any case you say...

To be honest, I have not heard of IE10, and I was not even aware that we are on that version now.

...and saying you have good IT knowledge are completely at odds with each other.

IE10 was released in 2012 and you saying that you've not heard of it says quite a lot.

Anyways as I tried to say before this developed into an argument, do what ShefStealth said. Ctrl-Shift-Del brings up the 'Delete Browsing History' options and allows you to clear most stuff.

My second thought would be to run a Malware scanner. I have seen some Malware do very little other than not work correctly and cause issues like this instead.

Edited by Guest

Erm no it isn't. IE can run ActiveX components through the browser. This is why so much of the corporate world is still stuck on IE6, they're using websites talking to systems via ActiveX and those components only work on IE6.

In any case you say...

I believe you misquoted me out of context. :rolleyes:

If you read, understand what I wrote, rather than to throw it back towards me, then you will also understand that is what I have been trying to say ALL along.

That the corporate world's business systems still uses ActiveX controls. These activeX uses Java. Of which someone challenged me on. Then there are non-business system "add-ons" like the googletoolbar which so many users like and prefer often conflicts with various other business systems in a corporate environment.

Instead of saying "no you are wrong". How about a "yes, I can see where you are coming from". Or a "Yes, I agree with you". OR a decent "I can now understand your clarification, thank you for letting me know."

...and saying you have good IT knowledge are completely at odds with each other.

IE10 was released in 2012 and you saying that you've not heard of it says quite a lot.

As I said before, I am not into your hardware and your desktop. Principally it is business systems, config, setup, and then also business data, deployments and business processes which is what I do in my professional life. Trapping financial errors, upload, rerun reports restore and so forth. There is a very big area of "IT". It is not just the normal hardware and software level you know. I hope you do give other working professional the dignity and the respect that they deserve dutifully.

I find it odd that, I have to educate you in this area, cos it sounds patronising to my own ears, I do not know about you. Really.

I do use IE. I do not support it. Nor do I need to. Do I check the basics of anti-virus checkers stopping data download from servers of web servers alike, yes. Do I test or have been asked to build these config settings alike, yes. Is this my responsibilities in my job roles? No. My focus is always on preservation of financial datas.

Have I had arguments from tech desktop personnels on the fundamental access on data access and the level that they need to be at? Yes. My focus is often on the company itself and to let them meet their organisational goals, and not actually to nitpick and often challenge my management, or to have my management challenge me in my strategies and decisions.

To be honest, even if you judge me and challenged me on whether I am an IT professional or not, is really none of my business. You can judge as you like. Cos I know why I am employed, even though you seem to like to tarnish my reputation here. If I was not posting more anonymously than using my actual name, I will indeed consider suing you.

Edited by salsafan

I've already run malwarebytes and have encountered the issue whilst I'd got the anti virus program Avast installed , problem persisted when I disabled Avast so I un-installed it completely, the issue continued. I don't like running without an anti virus so put Microsoft security essentials on as I didn't like Avast. I've just tried running without addons and got no further and even when in private the page still doesn't appear when doing a search. I don't know whether it is relevant but when confronted with a blank page I cannot click on the back button as it is greyed out I have to click on close and then either close that tab or all of them

These activeX uses Java.

No, you are wrong.