Blank web pages

I don't think you're the only person pondering that question today.

Sorry, I was laughing at the fact that, why did I have to put up with people like yourself for so long, I do wonder. But I have actually met some rather wonderful colleagues also which differed to those who participated in this thread. This is for sure. Clearer and more "blunt" and more "direct" ?

You found the solution?! Where?

You did not read did you ?

The problem is related to Windows 7's coding. It is based on the last bit of testing that I did whereby my default browser was chrome and his default browser was IE.

If you do not think that the diagnostic is correct, then tell me what is the cause and what is the solution ? My solution is to ask the user to inform Microsoft and report this as a bug on the Windows 7 side. Then I asked him to actually save the Yahoo Search Engine link in his bookmark and use it from there instead of saving it as a link somewhere else outside of his browser. As this clicking from outside of the browser will not invoke the webpage to load, but it will load if he uses it within the browser itself.

I won't dignify the rest with a response.

---------- Post added 19-01-2014 at 16:08 ----------

Oh my goodness, so I rattled the cage of some desktop support personnels here or other ? As I said before, my areas is in the ERP/PLM and the CRM areas. More on the business data level. Plus business knowledge also too and financial systems and transnational records and so forth. Coupled with understandings of business processes. The systems that I deal with are rather large, and they are indeed systems. I do also cover the areas of the the internet browser, which affects the performances of the serve downloads, and also the network which enables this specific area to be tuned. So yes, I do keep an eye out on the internet browser developments, but not too deeply. Google toolbars, and various add-ons actually impact the performances of these systems. I actually went outside of my areas to help the guy in this instance and to troubleshoot with him and narrow down the scope. It really is just a simpler domestic browser/OS issue. Simpler than I thought.

I certainly certainly did not expect the rise of these antagonisms and these confusion from the various other "tech" guys.

This is rather interesting to see.

You can absolutely degrade me in any way that you like. I know who employs me and why my skills are in demand. I am not even in the same areas as you guys. But obviously, you guys seem to take offence at that I know how to work with the user.

It is rather interesting to see that others do not dare to even attempt to help. Like, if you guys are so good at what you do, I kind of expected more responses in the other threads to be honest, especially in narrowing those hardware issues which so many have got here.

I find that strange...

---------- Post added 19-01-2014 at 16:15 ----------

What are you talking about?! :suspect:

Again, while you may be genuinely trying to help the OP, and yes, that should be congratulated, you have offered nothing of value to this thread and have only served to confuse and muddy the waters. I've had lunch with four other IT professionals today, all of which found your posts hilarious, and are now following this thread to see how big a hole you can dig yourself. (Hi P/P/J/C/E ;) )

Finally, I'm assuming your first language is not English, which is why I've not dragged up the numerous direct contradictions you have made so far in this thread, but please stop accusing others of doing so as yours are blindingly obvious.

Oh my God. So I rattled the TECH world of Sheffield ? My my my. Now that IS interesting to read indeed !

Well, to be honest, I could be that girl who get slated for helping her hearts out, and then get scruntinised by those techy unhelpful guys who would charge an arm and a leg to others, or that, I could be honest, and help where I could. Rather than to shy away, not be honest, and point a finger, and such-like.

You do realised that "soft skills" are the norm now too in the IT world ? Have you joined that department yet ? It is never really about how technical and how knowledgeable and geeky you are.

I can also assume that you read wrongly. As I was multi-tasking and was writing several threads in one go, but instead you wanted to judge me on that one single thread alone, and attack me personally to win over for the sake of your ego ? I like how you actually do not help the user, but attack the helper instead. You win this round. Great.

Wonderful. Republic of Sheffield at play. :hihi: Now it seems that it goes into the tech world too. I AM surprised.

You did not read did you ?

Yes, it's just my definition of "solution" is 'a method to solve a problem' - not just passing the buck.

The problem is related to Windows 7's coding. It is based on the last bit of testing that I did whereby my default browser was chrome and his default browser was IE.

If you do not think that the diagnostic is correct

No, I don't for one minute.

IE has been beset by blank page issues for over a decade. Windows 7 didn't even exist back then, and yet it still had the problem. 99% of the times I've come up against it, it has been caused by a full cache - a problem which causes numerous weird issues in IE.

It's also quite easy to send coding to IE which is freaks out at and refuses to render things - code which works in other browsers fine (likewise, similar issues can be found in other browsers - none of them are perfect).

then tell me what is the cause and what is the solution ? My solution is to ask the user to inform Microsoft and report this as a bug on the Windows 7 side.

If the OP doesn't have a commercial support contract with Microsoft, the chances of anyone actually even seeing his bug report in a reasonable timescale are virtually zero. Even then, all their support staff will do is open Yahoo Advanced Search, do a search, open a link and conclude the bug is not valid. And that's even if they don't close it for being an Internet Explorer issue and not a Windows issue without testing.

Then I asked him to actually save the Yahoo Search Engine link in his bookmark and use it from there instead of saving it as a link somewhere else outside of his browser. As this clicking from outside of the browser will not invoke the webpage to load, but it will load if he uses it within the browser itself.

You're talking nonsense again.

Your signature appears to very appropriate - you appear to be applying it liberally in this thread.

ETA:

As I was multi-tasking and was writing several threads in one go, but instead you wanted to judge me on that one single thread alone

If you're unable to make yourself clear and produce confused, mixed up posts because you're trying to write more than one post at once, that's not our problem.

Edited by dosxuk

You do like contradicting yourself don't you:

I will say this much, "logic" can be just basic mental understanding, and not a strict obtuse deductive scientific logic principles. I know your type, and I have often batted them back too. Often, users complain about techie like yourselves, cos it goes way overboard and you do not listen and bring yourself back to the basic level.

And then:

That is because I was not writing concise answers for him but painting a rather general picture

However, when you are working with someone in order to gain insight and guage their level of understanding, you sometimes have to "dumb things down" and be quite concise with your answers, but by your own reckoning you were not doing this anyway. You ever hear TLDN (Too Long Didn't Read) - people will start to skim once they start to see a wall of text. You need to start being more concise, and ask one thing at a time.

You are placing expectation on others and being pushy. Do you realise that this is what you are now doing ?

Not once have I called YOU any three letter words or thrown a dummy and then a hissy fit when someone has questioned me. If I am wrong, I will hold my hands up. If I don't understand something, I ask for more information or clarification. You do realise that you yourself are being highly defensive and pushy yourself? In some ways it's actually comedy - I don't usually like feeding trolls.

I was not asked for a peer to peer review. Maybe you expected this. But I certainly did not read this thread as such. So please do not have a go !

Sometimes peer review is needed (and I am not the only one to point out when something or somebody is wrong, for whatever reason!) if for no other reason than to ensure that things that may be taken on face value are questioned and either refined/improved or to ensure that things don't break. You yourself have started another thread and then again become defensive when other people have questioned what your intent of the core value of the thread was about. You then said something to the tune of "It isn't up for debate" - if that really was the case then why start a thread about a topic? This is a discussion forum and it's whole purpouse is to debate - and in essence, the purpouse of debate is usually to get to a truth, gain insight, improve upon something or to come to a neutral level of understanding at all sides.

By the way, I did not say ANYTHING about RAMS. I want to make this absolutely clear. Cos it seems that you thought I wrote something, but I did not, and you had this certain argument in your own mind, because you went and diverted already in your thinking. But please come back down towards this thread. This thread is about troubleshooting the user's issue. We touched on the Windows 7 area because he mentioned that this may be related, and this is why this area about the architecture was scrutinised a little bit more.

It had absolutely no relevance to the topic of PC architectural design.

The fact that you bought system bit-architecture(32vs64bit software and OS level) into it means that you then were starting to discuss memory allocation, which by it's very nature is system RAM. You then stated that the bit architecture was then to do with system threading, which is not the case, and again would have had nothing to do with the OPs issue anyway.

If you READ, I TROUBLESHOOTED with the user. Don't you understand this? I was not here to work with you. I was here to work with him. Maybe you do not seem to acknowledge and accept this. Also, maybe you wanted to misconstrue what I wrote. Cos frankly, this thread's context was about the user wanting to find an answer to his problem. I achieved that. That is it. Nothing more. Nothing less.

That you were working with the OP and trying to help is admirable, however you should also know your limits and help when it is within your level of knowledge or to try and gain a better understanding from others too. I myself glanced through the thread and something that you posted was inherently incorrect and misleading so I felt a need to point this out, be it for your own understanding (perhaps it was syntaxically incorrect from your part, thought it sounded at first like a deeper misunderstanding which was subsequently proved correct in further posts of yours)

And you think that scrutinising someone directly and bullying them instead of helping is also useful too ? I do not have to explain myself to be honest, and people do not have to come on here and started to nitpick. Just because they do not understand something.

I rather someone asked me respectfully "so how did you derive this, I got lost on this point whereby you said...." "What diagnostic did you do to derive this bit? I do not understand".

Instead of getting these kind of responses, all I got was "you are WRONG". "You were ALSO wrong here." :roll:

If you're on the internet and public forums in particular, especially when they're dealing with tech then you really need to grow a slightly thicker skin if you dislike being told when you are incorrect on something, and the reason why you are incorrect. I myself had just come out of your other thread and then read that. To my mind, you yourself are the one who is confrontational, especially when your knowledge or expertise is questioned. And then you have the audacity and gaul to say that you're bullied, misunderstood and nit-picked "just because they do not understand something" when it is in fact you yourself that are potentially confusing the issue and potentially not understanding something.

The whole "I do not have to explain myself to be honest" (inferring that you regularly lie?) and "And you think that scrutinising someone directly and bullying them instead of helping is also useful too?" - I pick and choose when and with what I help with. I also pick and choose to voice something when I see something wrong, or that could lead someone astray. This, the latter, is what I did with you in this thread. I might not personally care for your attitude, especially when you try and infer that I am bullying you - you yourself have a confrontational attitude, exposed both here and in other threads on the tech section of these forums.

I know what bullying looks like, and why someone actually misconstrue what you say and write, and then throw it back just cos you stepped in and solved something which they could not, and then to throw it back at your face. I know that. For me to respond despite this is my courtesy to your good self to be honest.

Where exactly have I tried to take credit for any resolution in this thread? I am not bullying you - if anything, you have attacked lets see, Me, dosxuk, potentially altus - it's difficult to tell, as some of your replies are quotes, but you then don't refer to who you've qoted and I can't be bothered at this juncture to trawl through the thread and work out exactly who you're bickering with aside from myself.

I am not competeing with you here, calm down. It is clear that you feel that I ruffled your feathers somewhat, in some sense. Is it because I am a woman? Or is it because you did not wanted me to help this pour guy here? Ask yourself honestly.

OOoohhhh, is this why you feel "bullied"? I had no idea that you were a woman - indeed, I still don't know if you are or aren't. That's the thing with the internet, you'll never really know who you are conversing with until you might meet up with them. Would my responses to you have been any different if I'd have thought or known you were female? Nope, sorry... I'd treat anyone the same - this can be proven because at the time I started conversing with you, I had no idea if you were male or female and quite frankly, didn't care... Is it because you feel that you are "on the losing side o the discussion" that you feel the need to play the "chauvinism/sexist" card? Do you have any idea what gender/sexuality I may be? Are you assuming right now?? Should it matter? Ponder on that for a while...

Let me put it this way. When someone has helped someone else. Then appreciate them or praise that they have done so. Don't go and wade in and actually trash their reputation, their attempt, and also their intention by first misconstruing what they wrote, and what they meant, and actually then make it your own issue. It is not socially nice, acceptable, or polite. Maybe you are used to this kind of behavior socially, but I am not. Most companies that I have worked in do not macromanage, and not do they have technical personnels like yourself that actually nitpick. We fit different markets and I already know the kind of person that you are, cos I have met people like yourselves before. I know that it actually kill someone like yourself to actually politely ask someone how they came to the conclusion or the answer, because your mind cannot approach the same way. Instead, you challenge them often. In my world, this is classed as bullying.

I needed no help to trash your rep, I feel that you can do quite a vallient effort of that on your own. I have "waded in" to point out when you were incorrect and it was you that blew up, and then try and come back with a hollier than thou attitude. You were the one who started slinging the personal insults though and so I feel very little need to carry on this discussion as I think I've expended quite enough time on it thus far today. If you want me to suggest a decent medical professional to remove the stick from your rear orriface then I'll hit up google for you though.

Just before I hit reply the submit reply though, I had a good laugh at the posts that rolled in whilst I was typing this up.... Soft skills, wow you're having a laugh aren't you... a baseball bat would probably be softer! :loopy:

Oh my goodness, so I rattled the cage of some desktop support personnels here or other ? As I said before, my areas is in the ERP/PLM and the CRM areas. More on the business data level. Plus business knowledge also too and financial systems and transnational records and so forth. Coupled with understandings of business processes. The systems that I deal with are rather large, and they are indeed systems. I do also cover the areas of the the internet browser, which affects the performances of the serve downloads, and also the network which enables this specific area to be tuned. So yes, I do keep an eye out on the internet browser developments, but not too deeply. Google toolbars, and various add-ons actually impact the performances of these systems. I actually went outside of my areas to help the guy in this instance and to troubleshoot with him and narrow down the scope. It really is just a simpler domestic browser/OS issue. Simpler than I thought.

I certainly certainly did not expect the rise of these antagonisms and these confusion from the various other "tech" guys.

This is rather interesting to see.

So your experience is at a very high level and you don't understand what's going on underneath. Nothing wrong with that or in admitting it but some of your statements, e.g. the one about 64 bit and multithreading, gave the impression that you were claiming to know lower level stuff and what you said is factually incorrect. That is what I at least was pulling you up on.

You can absolutely degrade me in any way that you like. I know who employs me and why my skills are in demand. I am not even in the same areas as you guys. But obviously, you guys seem to take offence at that I know how to work with the user.

It is rather interesting to see that others do not dare to even attempt to help. Like, if you guys are so good at what you do, I kind of expected more responses in the other threads to be honest, especially in narrowing those hardware issues which so many have got here.

I find that strange...

I didn't attempt to help because that level of Windows isn't my area - I avoid Windows when possible and have more understanding of how to write a Win32 app than the vagaries of IE. That comes from knowing my limitations and not trying to present myself as knowing more than I do - which, with your talk of processors and multithreading, you seemed to be doing.

Yes, it's just my definition of "solution" is 'a method to solve a problem' - not just passing the buck.

Sorry, did you not read? I was working with him to derive towards the root cause. In doing so, I stumbled into the actual areas and root cause. Then I knew how to help him out. I gave him a solution.

Not passing the buck ? I truly like how you say that. Cos you do realised that this is a domestic PC issue and that YOU or I are not working for the OP and that we are JUST helping him out, out of the goodness of our own hearts ? I am happy to see that the penny is beginning to drop for you !

No, I don't for one minute.

IE has been beset by blank page issues for over a decade. Windows 7 didn't even exist back then, and yet it still had the problem. 99% of the times I've come up against it, it has been caused by a full cache - a problem which causes numerous weird issues in IE.

If you put it like that, then I can also say that, there are many many many reasons that can cause a "white page" too. But I am in this instance, based it on what he literally did and I happen to also stumble on the differences between his setup and my setup. So why is this not right based on what the OP wrote and gave ? It just so happen that I had a similar OS and IE as he did. I did not even know my laptop was using Window 7. But it happened to be and there therefore I could perform exact like for like testing with him, to derive at a quicker solution.

Caches do not normally causes a white screen.

Sometimes it is never the thing which you think is causing the issue. Maybe you think that deleting the cache will help and it clears out and ready for further downloads, but then it is always an actual root or combination of factors which points toward the causation itself.

To me honest, I am not one of these "rote" support personnels. I do not follow standard procedures, and I do indeed narrow specific and actually do testings myself and build an actual causation path which led something to occur, and therefore remove the true root cause and saves millions of pounds, kind of person. I do not save 1 machines, I save 100 machines.

Most of the tech desktop guys often work with us on building standard builds to root out issues. So yes, I do know more and I ask them to build the specified machines for me.

It's also quite easy to send coding to IE which is freaks out at and refuses to render things - code which works in other browsers fine (likewise, similar issues can be found in other browsers - none of them are perfect).

But there is a reason why they do not work. Maybe the industry I work in are related to financial data, so missing "blip" is what we trap and we do NOT leave a single machine that can not connect and upload that piece of financial data upwards. So I would not and do not actually take the first solution always. I do track it down to a small level, or we rebuild quickly. We do not leave downtime to be long for the user AT all.

Yes, on a domestic machine who knows what the user did to it, and what they installed and what happened to it and why and so forth, but to be honest, if you gave them a good decent common sense approach, is that not good enough? I could choose to work for MS, but I did not. I also am now way too old to take that "but IE is like this"... No, my head would be on the garter if I said that to my manager. I build strategies on the machine level to mitigate risks on the business systems level. In my industry, there is no "I can't". Or a "I don't have the time". :hihi:

If the OP doesn't have a commercial support contract with Microsoft, the chances of anyone actually even seeing his bug report in a reasonable timescale are virtually zero. Even then, all their support staff will do is open Yahoo Advanced Search, do a search, open a link and conclude the bug is not valid. And that's even if they don't close it for being an Internet Explorer issue and not a Windows issue without testing.

Eh? You do realised that you have a license for Windows, and you do and can upload error reports too ? :huh:

You're talking nonsense again.

Your signature appears to very appropriate - you appear to be applying it liberally in this thread.

ETA:

If you're unable to make yourself clear and produce confused, mixed up posts because you're trying to write more than one post at once, that's not our problem.

To be honest, I really don't know your background but it is certainly out of that commercial depth or understanding of the tech world. Maybe you have not been in different IT departments and industries is all I can say.

---------- Post added 19-01-2014 at 16:59 ----------

You do like contradicting yourself don't you:

You do realise that I am still a person posting on the internet, and actually is NOT in the same company as you are, and also this is NOT a professional forum? Yes, that other thread that I posted, I wanted a certain engagement, and when shot down. I shut down and left it at that after being berated again.

I did think to myself that it is indeed the wrong place. I rather find a more professional forum to begin with. So I never have done so again. I found articles which were more relevant and I thought was interesting from a layman's term to begin with which affect others. Some people responded, but others not so. I thought that is it. Simple. I leave it down to those who wants to participate or not.

Because if we were working in the same company, then I would have already gone to my HR to make a formal complaint of this kind of harrassment on me. No doubt about that. On a social level, I expected others to be helpful and actually not dampen and pull someone down when they have tried.

---------- Post added 19-01-2014 at 17:05 ----------

I didn't attempt to help because that level of Windows isn't my area - I avoid Windows when possible and have more understanding of how to write a Win32 app than the vagaries of IE. That comes from knowing my limitations and not trying to present myself as knowing more than I do - which, with your talk of processors and multithreading, you seemed to be doing.

Or you can see it from my view too ?

Nobody answered his thread. Nobody. Why ?

I then took the chance and tried and gave him a decent response. Then he came back with more information. Fine. It meant that I wanted to try. So he obliged. Even though I am not the guru in this area, and I already specified this also in my first post. I then actually pulled up the sleeves and THEN helped.

Have you actually seen it from this angle too ? But no... some people who did not help. Did not want to try and help either. Then also actually berated others for even trying to help. Gordon Bennett. Wow.

If you noticed, I also already said what I know, and what I do not know etc. I do not try and sell what I am not. IF you read what I wrote, then you would have known this. I do not understand why you seem to think that I was also misleading him in any way. Cos how can you help someone with a simple message of "I have a white screen" ? What? Not enough information. When I dabbled in to help, others like yourself and the others just wade in to criticise and to attack. What the heck ?

Edited by salsafan

Eh? You do realised that you have a license for Windows, and you do and can upload error reports too ? :huh:

Yes, uploading an error report is quite easy with a consumer edition of Windows. Getting a response from Microsoft is basically impossible.

If you have a commercial support agreement then you can get a response.

To be honest, I really don't know your background but it is certainly out of that commercial depth or understanding of the tech world. Maybe you have not been in different IT departments and industries is all I can say.

I have over two decades of software development experience, with the qualifications to back that up. My main experience is in web application development, windows development and embedded electronics.

I have spent many hours debugging issues with clients trying to use various browsers which are not behaving correctly. I can assure you that none of them would have been impressed if my response to a problem, that even if confirmed was a problem with the OS, was for them to contact the manufacturer of the OS and submit a bug report. As I said before, that's not problem solving, that's passing the buck.

It is clear from your responses that you share none of that experience or knowledge with me, yet are trying to solve a problem which falls directly under my area of expertise. Furthermore, it's clear to anyone with a tiny bit of experience that you are simply stabbing in the dark and throwing out as many buzzwords as you remember from your Business IT lessons, rather than actually having any sort of clear idea of where the problem lies and trying to target those areas.

Incidentally, have you managed to find the Yahoo Advanced Search yet? :hihi:

I needed no help to trash your rep, I feel that you can do quite a vallient effort of that on your own. I have "waded in" to point out when you were incorrect and it was you that blew up, and then try and come back with a hollier than thou attitude. You were the one who started slinging the personal insults though and so I feel very little need to carry on this discussion as I think I've expended quite enough time on it thus far today. If you want me to suggest a decent medical professional to remove the stick from your rear orriface then I'll hit up google for you though.

Just before I hit reply the submit reply though, I had a good laugh at the posts that rolled in whilst I was typing this up.... Soft skills, wow you're having a laugh aren't you... a baseball bat would probably be softer! :loopy:

You did not wade in to help. You waded in and threw your weight around a certain area and clarified that, instead of helping the user diagnose his issue based on what he wrote. He wrote something quite simply. I saw his thread being left alone for quite a bit and then I did take pity and then I tried. My intention was never to mislead him. He asked openly and honestly "does anyone know" ? I already wrote something along the lines of "ugh.. this sounds convoluted". Which I knew it will be. Yet, I still tried and attempted to help him despite this.

When I found the solution and did some testing, THEN you derailed and wrote on and on about architecture and so forth. I never claim to be focusing on this or that I am an expert here. Yet you decided to do that, when really the thread was so simple.

I am holier than thou? Sorry, I think you misread this. I was annoyed that you took the thread and turned it down a specific direction. THAT is why I am annoyed. There you go. You got that specifically from me directly from my mind, and not based on your own assumption as to why I was angry.

Let me ask you this simple question, would you not be offended if someone tar you with a bad brush, bait you, even when you tried to help someone, paint you as an asshole, and then still patronise you with extra information, and then rile others to join in and to harrass you ? Oh, right. I should keep my cool. Yes, I did not have to be defensive and attack you in return about "soft skills". As obviously, you also have a lot of it too. Right.

Edited by salsafan

When I found the solution and did some testing, THEN you derailed and wrote on and on about architecture and so forth.

Post #2

- Is your Windows 7's version, the same as your IE's version, meaning do they have the same bit architecture ? It is better if your OS is of a higher architecture than your software, cos then it means both softwares of 32 bit and 64 bits will run without an issue, but if it is lower, then I am not sure what the effects are. It depends on how the code is written.

Who wrote on and on about architecture again - despite it being completely irrelevant - and fundamentally wrong?

Hi folks we do seem to of gone off the thread subject slightly but as this issue has been commented on often on the Microsoft help forum it can get a tad confusing as there are quite a few supposed cures, none of which seem to work. I considered the idea that I wasn't actually on the legitimate Yahoo search page but it looks okay. I also cleared cache and even attempted and succeeded in stepping IE back to IE9, the issue persisted and so I went back up to IE10 so Virgin Media webmail would quit telling me I had an out of date browser. I still think it is a fault some how with IE and yet Microsoft seem very quiet on the subject with so many people commenting on this very problem on other forums. So my next task is to get out my old laptop that is running XP and take a look at the Yahoo page which is saved in the favorites list I can then compare the look and address of that page with the one I'm seeing on my desk pc. Otherwise my option at least for the time being seems to be to leave IE alone and use either Firefox or Google chrome which will no doubt nag at me as I hate un-resolved issues. By the way if I am viewing any web page through IE and attempt to open a link to another web page from the original page it again comes up as a blank page, something is most decidedly odd

I have over two decades of software development experience, with the qualifications to back that up. My main experience is in web application development, windows development and embedded electronics.

I have spent many hours debugging issues with clients trying to use various browsers which are not behaving correctly. I can assure you that none of them would have been impressed if my response to a problem, that even if confirmed was a problem with the OS, was for them to contact the manufacturer of the OS and submit a bug report. As I said before, that's not problem solving, that's passing the buck.

Oh, "that" kind of passing the buck. You see, until you tell me this, please do not assume that I knew your life, and your background and your experiences and so forth. So based on YOUR experience, you would approach it like THAT. That makes absolute sense.

No wonder you went on and on about a commercial contract when the user had a domestic PC. THAT makes sense too.

It is clear from your responses that you share none of that experience or knowledge with me, yet are trying to solve a problem which falls directly under my area of expertise. Furthermore, it's clear to anyone with a tiny bit of experience that you are simply stabbing in the dark and throwing out as many buzzwords as you remember from your Business IT lessons, rather than actually having any sort of clear idea of where the problem lies and trying to target those areas.

Incidentally, have you managed to find the Yahoo Advanced Search yet? :hihi:

Was it really ? It was a browser related issue. We do not know whether this was a telco's proprietary customised browser or whether this was some kind of downloaded tools from yahoo that the user is using before searching with. Hence, I did not leave any leafs unturned and had to ask the dumbest question. To me, I do not see anything wrong with my approach to be honest.

Unless you are trying to tell me that you own sheffield forum and that you are providing free PC expertise to all for free in this section. :hihi: I have no idea who you are, so why would I assume to know that this is your area if at all ? :huh: You forget that this is a public forum and anyone can respond to help.

Yes, I have found "Yahoo Advance Mode". I take my users seriously and I let them show me and not make assumption. It is a sign of respect. ;)

Just like yourself. Assuming that I do not have a technical background at all, and started to berate me and think I work in that exact job as you do. Maybe you never thought to think that others can also stay in the industry too and not behave and act like you do. Hey... whatever goes, right ?

If you read between the line, I was never out to fight with you but you did nitpick on someone who tried to help another citizen. Who is in the wrong here ?

---------- Post added 19-01-2014 at 17:28 ----------

Post #2

Who wrote on and on about architecture again - despite it being completely irrelevant - and fundamentally wrong?

LOL. OMG. You still don't get that? See my logic table. At least you cannot go wrong there. It seems that my English failed on you. To be honest. Nothing more to say there. You can interpret that how you like.

---------- Post added 19-01-2014 at 17:38 ----------

Hi folks we do seem to of gone off the thread subject slightly but as this issue has been commented on often on the Microsoft help forum it can get a tad confusing as there are quite a few supposed cures, none of which seem to work. I considered the idea that I wasn't actually on the legitimate Yahoo search page but it looks okay. I also cleared cache and even attempted and succeeded in stepping IE back to IE9, the issue persisted and so I went back up to IE10 so Virgin Media webmail would quit telling me I had an out of date browser. I still think it is a fault some how with IE and yet Microsoft seem very quiet on the subject with so many people commenting on this very problem on other forums. So my next task is to get out my old laptop that is running XP and take a look at the Yahoo page which is saved in the favorites list I can then compare the look and address of that page with the one I'm seeing on my desk pc. Otherwise my option at least for the time being seems to be to leave IE alone and use either Firefox or Google chrome which will no doubt nag at me as I hate un-resolved issues. By the way if I am viewing any web page through IE and attempt to open a link to another web page from the original page it again comes up as a blank page, something is most decidedly odd

When I see this kind of situation, I do actually wonder whether the numerous installation and uninstallation has affected anything else. Normally, I would either wipe it clean and clone from previous profile and then continue from there. Cos the trusted baseline level no longer exists.

Previous profiles also need a set configuration as well which we have originally baselined and we do not deviate from. The thing is, when Virgin Media asked you to do a certain installation of IE, you also need to adopt that basic config too that they should or would have baselined against. They should indeed have provided you with this information.

But thanks for coming back to us with your testings too. I appreciated that info. Really. It adds to my own knowledgebase as well.

http://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/ie/en-US/a07d7a5e-2d65-4332-a67d-cc832ef1be46/internet-explorer-display-blank-page?forum=ieitprocurrentver

By the way, you can now hold dosxuk for his expertise, cos he has volunteered to help you. ;) I am sure that he can take a quick look and quickly pinpoint the exact root cause analysis. :)

Or you can see it from my view too ?

Nobody answered his thread. Nobody. Why ?

I then took the chance and tried and gave him a decent response. Then he came back with more information. Fine. It meant that I wanted to try. So he obliged. Even though I am not the guru in this area, and I already specified this also in my first post. I then actually pulled up the sleeves and THEN helped.

I didn't comment on those bits of your replies because it's not my area and I wouldn't have had anything to add.

Have you actually seen it from this angle too ? But no... some people who did not help. Did not want to try and help either. Then also actually berated others for even trying to help. Gordon Bennett. Wow.

Others can comment of what they've written. I'll stick to things related to what I've written.

If you noticed, I also already said what I know, and what I do not know etc. I do not try and sell what I am not. IF you read what I wrote, then you would have known this. I do not understand why you seem to think that I was also misleading him in any way.

Yes you did say what your areas of expertise were but you also posted stuff that was outside those areas and some of what you posted was incorrect. That is what I pulled you up on. Now I don't know where you got those misunderstandings from, someone may have told you incorrect information for all I know, but if you are going to post statements on the web and they are incorrect you should expect people to point it out - particularly in the technical area of a forum. You can then do your own research to check what they said and/or improve your understanding of the matter or you can complain they attacked you. One of those actions will get you little sympathy.

What the heck ?

Is what I thought when you posted erroneous info.

By the way if I am viewing any web page through IE and attempt to open a link to another web page from the original page it again comes up as a blank page, something is most decidedly odd

Just to confirm, that happens on this site too?

Have you tried running in IE's "no add ons" mode? (Found in Start > All Programs > Accessories > System Tools)