Advice on living near Bolsterstone?

Hoping someone can give me a bit of advice on the bolsterstone area.

My boyfriend and I currently live in Hampshire but might need to move near Sheffield for work. We've seen a really nice house to rent near bolsterstone overlooking the estuaries, but I've been put off a bit by people's opinions of nearby Stocksbridge.

Any opinions or advice would be great.

Bolsterstone is lovely. :love:

Bitter in winter though. Brrrr..

I would be confident in saying you would love bolsterstone,but like megalithic has already said,its bitter in winter.

Btw, i think you mean reservoirs, Bolster is quite a way from the sea. :D

thall be reight up theer, lovely int summer.

Not sure if you can see any estuaries though.

Thanks for your replies, very reassuring after reading such negative things about stocksbridge.

And yes It must be the reservoirs apparently good for fishing?

Just one last question are the locals friendly to people out of the area? We have quite strong southern accents and sound a bit like toffs ( we're not at all toffy!) and I'm hoping we wouldn't stick out like sore thumbs and could be part of a community.

Thanks again!

Thanks for your replies, very reassuring after reading such negative things about stocksbridge.

And yes It must be the reservoirs apparently good for fishing?

Just one last question are the locals friendly to people out of the area? We have quite strong southern accents and sound a bit like toffs ( we're not at all toffy!) and I'm hoping we wouldn't stick out like sore thumbs and could be part of a community.

Thanks again!

If you make the effort,then yes you will be welcomed im sure.The local pub [the castle]would be the place to meet the locals,if you can sing,well you will be made extra welcome by the bolsterstone male voice choir.:)

It's a nice spot up there, but I played a game of rugby up there in January a few years back and by 'eck it was cold. Freezing, horizontal rain and the pitch was like the Somme. Not a good day to be a fullback.

Hi there, I live just down from Bolsterstone in Stocksbridge & walk my dog up through the village nearly every day, its a great little place & Id personally love to live there :)

good luck!

Where's the OP read all this stuff about Stocksbridge?

The only think I've heard is that it's kinda isolated and everyone knows everyone.

Where's the OP read all this stuff about Stocksbridge?

The only think I've heard is that it's kinda isolated and everyone is related to everyone.

Corrected the myth for you. :hihi:

Bolsterstone is beautiful, would love to live there. You have the advantage of being close (5 mins driving) to the shops at Stocksbridge for all the essentials too while feeling like you live in the peaceful countryside. We are not from the area but live in nearby Deepcar and although there's the odd rough pub in Stocksbridge it's generally a nice community with a mxture of people. It did have a reputation of being unfriendly to 'outsiders' but plenty of people have moved out there as it's one of the better areas where you get good value for money housewise (with it being a bit away from the city). The only thing we miss is having a decent restaurant/takeaway nearby -unless someone can recommend one locally?