Council house door locks

Council house refurbs, all had new doors fitted with UAP cylinder locks, are these locks anti bump?

Council house refurbs, all had new doors fitted with UAP cylinder locks, are these locks anti bump?

I wouldn't worry about what kind of locks you have. Up parson's cross I've seen complete window frames ripped off and doors bashed through so thieves can spend a few hours stripping out the copper. All that noise and nobody hears anything ????

However, anti bump is where the thieve uses a bump key to pick your lock with. If your key looks like a modern car key (no ridges or teeth on I) but has strange little dimples and insets instead, then its anti bump.

Any type of Euro lock, the week point is where the screw through the side of the door holds in the barrel. The metal of the barrel is at its thinnest at this point because that's where the spindle is that operates the latch in the door, and the screw whole. Thieves usually try to snap this point by tommy barring the exposed part of the lock. New locks supposedly have a deliberate week point that will snap before the other bit.

Locksmith tools are regularly available on Ebay. You can by drill attachments and jigs that will completely grind a euro lock barrel to dust within a few seconds. They cost about £30. So the thieve just needs a chordless drill and a locksmith jig.

But usually its just a crow bar and a size 11 boot to kick your door of prize the window frame open.

Edited by rollwithit

Most modern council doors are fitted with the uap anti snap/bump lock although the older ones are just fitted with six pin standard cylinders..

The uap lock has anti snap cuts and a anti bump pin but is the cheapest anti Snap on the market, and if I'm honest not very good .

You may be lucky and have a devise called a cylinder guard fitted. But beware I seen quite a few fitted the wrong way round ( Kier)

My advice would be to upgrade you cylinders and make sure your cylinder guard is fitted the right way round( Allen key on the inside of the door)

I'd stay away from the cheap anti snaps ( £ 15 and under) as they are still open to attacks I won't go into on here.

Andy

Most modern council doors are fitted with the uap anti snap/bump lock although the older ones are just fitted with six pin standard cylinders..

The uap lock has anti snap cuts and a anti bump pin but is the cheapest anti Snap on the market, and if I'm honest not very good .

You may be lucky and have a devise called a cylinder guard fitted. But beware I seen quite a few fitted the wrong way round ( Kier)

My advice would be to upgrade you cylinders and make sure your cylinder guard is fitted the right way round( Allen key on the inside of the door)

I'd stay away from the cheap anti snaps ( £ 15 and under) as they are still open to attacks I won't go into on here.

Andy

Hi Andy, you fitted my new Anti-bump locks about 12 months ago now and I am very satisfied with the quality etc, I was now thinking of getting my rear door lock upgraded, and I wondered if it was possible to have the same lock as the front door so that I can use the same keys that I have for the front, many thanks, cheers

Hi hotrock.

Glad your happy with the lock on the front door, I've not had one go wrong yet..

If you still have the card that came with the lock? Supplying you with another for the back door, that works on the same key should be no problem....

I'll try and call round in the week or you could give me a call..

Thanks

Andy

Many thanks for the reply regarding a second barrel fitting to my side/back door, I have the card for the original lock,

I have sent a private message with my contact details

Also My friend across the road was mega impressed, with your speedy and efficient service, when you helped secure his home after he returned from holiday and discovered he had been burgled

Thanks for this thread i've done some googling tonight and realised my ERA euro cylinder lock is a waste of space, from what I can see the Avocet ABS Mk3 with a TS007 3 STAR rating is probably the one to go for today. Would that be right?

When I asked the council if they would fit more secure locks to our doors they said no,and,if you do it yourself you have to inform them.

Locks that have either a 3 star TS007 rating or better still the Sold Secure Diamond rating have passed anti-snap tests.

If a lock only has a TS007 1 star rating or has only passed BS EN1303 2005 it means that the lock has been tested to picking, bumping and drilling but has either not passed or not subjected to snapping tests.

As Andy mentions cheap locks are cheap for a reason, simply putting a snap line on a lock doesn't work.

If a lock only has a TS007 1 star rating or has only passed BS EN1303 2005 it means that the lock has been tested to picking, bumping and drilling but has either not passed or not subjected to snapping tests. As Andy mentions cheap locks are cheap for a reason, simply putting a snap line on a lock doesn't work.

There is plenty of info on this website on the master locksmith associations website

Edited by Lock-Guy
typo

When I asked the council if they would fit more secure locks to our doors they said no,and,if you do it yourself you have to inform them.

Strangely enough, when we were burgled I asked the council about fitting anti bump locks and they refused, also the police advised that we should have a chain fitted to the door to deter unwanted entry, but when I asked permission from the council, they said no, and if I was to fit a chain they would bill me for criminal damage to the door, as the drilling of any holes in the door and frame would seriously weaken the integrity and strength.

Lock bumping isn't really an issue. Bumping requires thought and a plan to identify a certain lock and carry the correct bump key. It's not a method that is used by an opportunist.

Ripping a handle off and attacking a cylinder is actually a fairly quick and quiet process and can take as little as 15 seconds.

Anti-snap locks in general can slow this down and if the door is routed out tightly around the cylinder can prevent access.

Better anti-snap locks don't just have snap lines they have added levels of security to prevent snapping, this is because known entry methods have evolved to get past a simple snap line.

These known methods of attack are simulated in the Master Locksmith Associations Sold Secure Diamond standard. A lock that has gained this has passed tough tests which snaps off the first line of defence and then attempts to breach the lock further (I won't go into too much detail).

The biggest issue is that there is currently no law that stipulates what standards should be advised to the public in general and by insurance companies for euro cylinder locks. Many insurance companies will replace like for like after a break-in rather than going for a TS007 3 star lock or better still a Sold Secure Diamond lock.

There's also plenty of bad advice out there - "We sell insurance approved kitemarked anti-snap locks" - Insurance companies have only approved and recommended the 5 lever kitemark lock in their policy booklets over the last 10 years - I have yet to see an up to date policy for the new kitemark for euro cylinders (BS TS007:2012). Euro cylinders that only have a kitemark BS EN 1303:2005 have not actually been tested against a lock snapping attack - only picking, drilling and bumping - all of which aren't really methods of attack by an opportunist burglar.

A standard euro cylinder will cost as little as £2 when bought in bulk a good anti-snap lock that works will cost around £35-60 perhaps that's why councils won't put them in.

Strangely enough, when we were burgled I asked the council about fitting anti bump locks and they refused, also the police advised that we should have a chain fitted to the door to deter unwanted entry, but when I asked permission from the council, they said no, and if I was to fit a chain they would bill me for criminal damage to the door, as the drilling of any holes in the door and frame would seriously weaken the integrity and strength.

I fitted a chain and a door stay to mine. Our security is more important than their red tape.