PC won't boot. No beep

Was using PC fine this morning then everything froze. Tried to reboot but that hangs too. All fans spin up, no beeps occur, and can't get into the BIOS menu. Is the mobo likely to be stuffed? I did try replacing the CMOS battery (out of desperation) but it made no difference.

Try removing the memory and swapping them about. Founds lots of no boots to be memory

I tried reseating the memory, but nothing changed.

Faulty memory usually gives beeps anyway. Not sure but does sound like a MoBo death unfortunately.

If you have more than one stick of memory,try them one at a time.

Have you tried discharging the cmos on the motherboard?

Also, what make/model motherboard is it?

If you checked what they said, then I'd be going for motherboard death as well.

Which MB is it?

Thanks all for the replies. It's an ASUS P7P550-E.

Can you tell us more on the steps, and the order that you did, and if you went into full diagnostic mode already?

- Is this a shop bought PC?

- Is this a self build PC?

- Have you added new hardware recently ?

Asus has fairly good support.

http://www.asus.com/Motherboards/P7P55DE/#support

There is indeed an electronic way to test each piece of hardware to see if it has an issue. You need a case with the speaker, cos if it does not work, then it won't beep when you connect to it.

http://www.build-my-home-computer.com/computer-beep-codes.html

If you do not do this kind of elimination test, then you will be going around in a frustrating circle.

Edited by salsafan

I have no idea what "full diagnostic mode" is: any interaction with the PC seems out of the question at the moment. As for telling more about the steps, I can't really add to what I said originally, except that I've tried booting with all memory removed and disks disconnected, and I get exactly the same situation. What may be relevant, though, is that when the boot sequence hangs, I end up with a red LED showing on the motherboard, which I don't recall seeing in the past.

The PC itself was bought from Chillblast 3 and a bit years ago, and has had a couple of fans pack up in that time, which has not impressed me. As for new hardware, no, there is none.

As for the "electronic way", I suspect that is beyond my capabilities...

Why not take it to Mozalan and get him to test it for you? It's about at this time i'd be considering a new mb or a 2nd hand one. Ofc you already know you will have the choice of 2nd hand or a complete upgrade to s1155 or s1150, but that means cpu as well.

You are probably outside warranty but you could contact asus and see if they will repair for a price.

Edited by 999tigger

-The full diagnostic test means to take your PC apart completely basically. Memories off the motherboard. Sound card off. Video card off. So it leaves a pristine motherboard. Then normally, you test each pieces of these hardware to check to see if it is in working condition and if there is like an electrical component which is fried basically.

-Then you read the manual from ASUS and see that the configurations on the motherboard is correct, and set accordingly for the video card, or the sound card and so forth. Put all these little switches in the right place.

-Then you connect your sound card, video card and memories back into place.

-To test memories, you cannot remove it all from your motherboard to check. Others meant, if one memory stick is gone, then it should still boot up, but then the memory amount will have dropped and it will show you. You can test and rotate in order to find the culprit memory stick.

This is why I am asking you which order did you do your troubleshooting in? Which item you removed, and what you added and if you did this in an appropiate order, cos if you did not know this. Then check to see what are the basic components that need to be added to your PC as a skeleton to get it working in a basic config. If you do not do this, then you will be chasing yourself round in a circle as well wondering. But it is also a good way to learn too. :hihi:

Cos it is how I learnt the principles of order of addition.

I end up with a red LED showing on the motherboard, which I don't recall seeing in the past.

You can read the ASUS manual on this. It will have an explaination. I do not know if you have removed all components from the main MB, but if you have, then it means that this light is related to that. This may not be the same issue as what you originally talked about, but it could be subsequent issue from your troubleshooting.

Edited by salsafan
Ok, this makes more sense. Had a lot to explain!