Walter wragg motorcycles

---------- Post added 20-01-2014 at 12:57 ----------

[/color]

My uncle actually had one! Then when he got married he bought a Russian "Jupiter" 350cc two-stroke twin with a sidecar. Bill Beevers was a great bloke - he loved motorbikes and bikers. When my Honda 50 needed a new silencer his was the only shop that had one in stock. It cost me all of £3/15/-.

I found an old thread about Wragg's here: http://www.sheffieldforum.co.uk/showthread.php?t=879347 It seems there are some former Wragg's employees among us!

Hi hillsbro,

Hope the pic below is the same model as your uncle's Alpino??

I have noticed on the Wraggs thread that Armando worked there. Seem to remember seeing on the Lambretta thread that he opened a garage off London Road. Maybe my NSU Quickly was a trade in that I bought from him.

I met Bill Beevers in later life when as a salesman for Ever Ready Co. (batteries, torches etc.) I used to call on his shop at Page Hall in the late 1960's / early 1970s. Yes, a nice bloke, no airs and graces.

My first scooter, an umpteenth hand wooden one at Adsetts street in about 1947/8 when I was four years old:- :)

IMG_0488_zpsf01f6749.jpg

My Alpino 75cc on 6th June 1961. Workmates Lambretta Li 150 series 2 in the background at his Crookesmoore Road house:-

MyAlpino_zps098db4e2.jpg

My Honda Pantheon in 2010, having not ridden for 46 years, at my bungalow at Gateford Toll Bar, Worksop :-

IMG_0772_zps5c3ee554.jpg

Have finally hung my helmet up now. :)

Edited by PeterR

...Hope the pic below is the same model as your uncle's Alpino??..:)
Yes- pretty much the same, and nice to see the photo. The Pantheon is wonderful! I hadn't realised that Armando had worked at Wragg's - another great bloke who knew everything there was to know about scooters. According to a 2007 post on this thread (Post #51) he is enjoying well-earned retirement in Italy.

Yes- pretty much the same, and nice to see the photo. The Pantheon is wonderful! I hadn't realised that Armando had worked at Wragg's - another great bloke who knew everything there was to know about scooters. According to a 2007 post on this thread (Post #51) he is enjoying well-earned retirement in Italy.

Nice to know that there was at least one more Alpino around :)

I unfortunately never met Armando, not unless I bought my NSU Quickly from him, but can't remember. I do remember his name from the past though.

I recalled reading a post on the Lambretta Motor Scooters thread saying he had passed on. Just checked and sorry to say found a post on Page 2 of 15th March 2012. I'm sure there's more information about him somewhere on the forum. Think he and his family opened a restaurant in Italy, but I may be wrong.

Edited by PeterR

I have a Triumph trophy motorbike that was first sold by Walter Wragg in may 1961.

There were no documents or registration number with it, presumably had by a number plate dealer.

I intend to contact the records office in Wakefield to try to recover the number if it,s still available.

So if someone has any two wheeled XXX vehicle that they know was registered in May 1961 and could give me the 3 letters NOT the numbers it would greatly help me, otherwise I will have to look for the engine and frame numbers of the bike and this will take time.

Any help appreciated

XXX For example in Coventry in 1965 Arw was for cars and vans Brw was for twowheelers and Crw was for commercials

Edited by matchle55

matchl55 mine was AWB in 1961 and that also was a trophy but i put a twin carb head on it.

matchl55 mine was AWB in 1961 and that also was a trophy but i put a twin carb head on it.

Thanks for that mate, do you know if yours was May 1961 ?

Sorry no i cant remember the reg no was 91 AWB and i still have the front plate.I heavily modified this bike and it is a garage now in Derbyshire.I had it 18yrs and it was well known around Sheffield in those days in fact people who i have not seen for a long time ask me if i still have it.

Further to this topic, it's interesting to note that bullerboy's bike was registered AWB, & my bike (a1959 Shooting Star) was registered AWA. numbers before letters, I'm presuming that you allready know the lettering sequences used by Sheff. at that time!! I believe that these letters were used only for for bikes! non appearing on cars or other vehicles, that may or may not be correct! but if you look on Wickepedia there is a list of all registration letters used by the various authorities at that time.

Hi all,

My new Lambretta TV175 from Walter Wragg on Gibraltar Street was purchased on 23rd July 1961 with reg. 986 AWB.

Here it is again IMG_0491_zps55871da1.jpg

Regards, Peter.

Edited by PeterR

Thanks for that mate, do you know if yours was May 1961 ?

I also have a 61 Triumph from Wraggs that I am trying to locate the registration number for.

The records office keep frame number etc up until May 1961 after that there is only the dealer name and date.

You may be okay, unfortunately mine was shipped to Wraggs in July 1961.

Anyone out there know if any of the shop sales records still exist?

Regards

---------- Post added 06-11-2018 at 19:16 ----------

I have a 1961 Triumph Bonneville that was delivered to Wraggs on 26th July.

Anyone know if there are any sales records from the shop as I'm trying to locate the original registration.

Only three Bonnevilles were delivered to Wraggs between 1st May and the 15th of August

Unfortunately Sheffield Archives stopped recording the make and frame numbers after May 1961.

61 bonnie two of my friends had 971 and 972 AWA in 1961 both from Wraggs i dont know if this is any help.

Thanks for the info.

From what I know AWE was used during July & August 1961.

I guess your friends were registered earlier in the year.

Were they Triumphs?