Considering getting our first cat - advice welcome.

We are visiting the cats shelter on Sunday with a view to adopting a furry.

We are looking for a house cat, mainly due to my encouragement of birds and other wildlife in our garden.

We already have a catflap into the porch where we would hope to put the litter tray and there are two or three places around the house where I could envisage putting cardboard boxes with blankets as both beds and safe places where it could go if it feels a bit overwhelmed. Obviously there's food and water to consider.

Am I missing anything obvious?

I know house cats on there own can get bored so some toys and a scratching post might be in order. I'm generally trying to work from home 4 mornings a week so it will never be left for the whole day on its own.

One of the problems I've thought of is when we are away on hols. Usually with cats that are let out it's just a case of getting someone to pop round and change the litter, put more food out, but with a house cat I'd imagine it would get stir crazy and very lonely if it didn't have proper company.

Any top tips or advice gratefully received :)

Thats easy...why not get 2 together? they are hard to rehome when they come in two's so many lifelong friends end up split apart, they would be great for keeping each other company :)

sounds like your very well prepared, hope you find your perfect companion, if its a young cat make sure it knows what the scratching post is for! I used to take my kitten to the post and gently rub its claws down the post so she got to know what it was for. never had any problems with her scratching anything around the house, but she loves her post. good luck and don't forget lots of cuddles too.

I second what Moonbird says. :) Otherwise I think you are all systems go, ready for your new companion/s :hihi:

Nancy (greyhound) says can she come and help you choose!:hihi:

Nancy (greyhound) says can she come and help you choose!:hihi:

Yeah, I don't think I'll be hosteling our new cat with you and the boys (and girl) :hihi:

---------- Post added 17-01-2014 at 18:12 ----------

Thats easy...why not get 2 together? they are hard to rehome when they come in two's so many lifelong friends end up split apart, they would be great for keeping each other company :)

That was a consideration. I've seen house cats before where there are two and they can just amuse each other for ever. I'm not averse to the idea.

we have multiple cats and they spend lots of time playing, chasing and snuggling with each other :)

We also have 2 (brothers) housecats and we'd never be without them:love:

There are always a lot of cats needing forever homes so if you can give 2 furbaby's a home all the better but I would urge you to consider older cats as they are harder to rehome:sad:

Whatever you decide, you won't regret it:)

Just saw this on FB Taxman if you think that you could help them?

Hi, Can any of my animal friends help. There are two 8 year old cats in need of a home. The owner has passed away and the cats are currently living outside. The old ladies family are feeding them but cannot take them in as they live in a flat. If anyone could take them in they are willing to help with food for a year. Thanks Michelle

I've had cats before so have a good idea what to do, I have asked my daughter to come to cat sit whilst we are on holiday. If she can't I have other friends that I'm sure will do it. :)

There's also a cat in the Sheffield Cats Shelter who needs to be a lone indoor cat as she's never been outdoors and is afraid to go out. Her name is Fuzzball :)

I can't imagine that you're missing out on any details taxman- you've been around animals enough to know that there are a few things that you need to plan and a few for which you can't plan.

Very cheap cat toys can be made by buying a small bag of dried catnip and then just putting a pinch of that in a little piece of cotton wool in the end of an old sock, then tying the sock in a knot and cutting off above it. Secure a long piece of elastic around the knot and tie the elastic to a door handle, banister or scratching post and you've got a handy thing for cats to swipe at.

Leave them unattached to anything and quite small and you've got a toy to hunt, kill and carry around. Change the socks to little bits of fleece if you don't have socks.

Another favourite toy for all of mine is a screwed up ball of silver foil flicked into the bath as a good thing to bat around the bath or round the rest of the house for interactive fun. Hazelnuts in their shells make good flicking and chasing toys too.

Scratching posts don't have to be expensive and I'm sure that you could make one or two really easily with some hessian backed carpet, string and some wood or MDF.

I hope you find the beastie (or two) that complete your family :)