Plans to make selling privately owned cars with tax illegal

True, which is why I highlighted it in my first post, which you then quoted for...what purpose, again?

Did someone say "pedantic"? :hihi:

I see a difference in being able to claim something back rather than nothing...don't you? :D

I see a difference in being able to claim something back rather than nothing...don't you? :D
I do, but I also see the cashflow advantage which the DVLA/HMRC will derive from the change of practice. Just like Councils did with the one-car-parking-ticket introduction...don't you? :D

If I sell my car with tax on it it would still show up as not insured on the database because I would either have

a: cancelled my insurance

or

b: transferred it to my new car...

The insurance document isnt in the windscreen though is it for traffic wardens and nosey neighbours to worry about.

Not that id condone people not getting insured immediately of course. ;-)

The insurance document isnt in the windscreen though is it for traffic wardens and nosey neighbours to worry about.

Not that id condone people not getting insured immediately of course. ;-)

The tax disc will have ceased to exist so will also not be in the window.

there will be if it runs out in say nov /dec so once thats been sent back it will come up on npc as not taxed if a new owner attempts to drive it away

Not so, the tax disc is going on the same day. You are no longer required to display it from 1 October 2014.

It's clearly stated in the link you posted: http://www.motoring.co.uk/car-news/private-cars-cannot-be-sold-with-road-tax-from-october-2014_60347, that

the paper tax disc that has graced windscreens for nearly a century will soon be consigned to history. Motorists will no longer be able to glance at windscreens to confirm the tax has been paid. This could encourage unscrupulous sellers to claim that their vehicles have (say) eleven months tax remaining when they only have two

So your assertion that it's some for of rip-off isn't the case. In fact, the change is specifically designed to prevent people getting ripped off!

Edited by Magilla

I'd take it as a revenue-generating initiative,

Spot on.

Currently, you don't get your "remaining unused RFL" (as in: not all of it, down to the day).

You get whole month(s) back only.

If you multiply that by hundreds of thousands of cars then the initiative makes sense..to them.

I get the impression there are people within these organisations who sit around a table and concoct these cynical parasitic money spinners.

I may have missed something here as this is news to me... after said date, if you went to look at a car with a view to buying it (private sale), and you decided to, could you legally drive it back home?? is it clear yet what you would have to do...

Spot on.

How? The change means the system operates *exactly* as it does now, except instead of X months of any tax remaining, you have the remainder of the current month only.

If you multiply that by hundreds of thousands of cars then the initiative makes sense..to them.

Why, they stand to make no extra cash from the change except savings due to not having to print tax discs.

I get the impression there are people within these organisations who sit around a table and concoct these cynical parasitic money spinners.

Perhaps, but this is not one of those times.

Edited by Magilla

I got that from your previous posts.

You didn't, that was my first post on this topic.

seriously is this really an issue. From what I understand.

The Seller can cash in the remaining RFL for the whole months remaining.

The Buyer gets the remaining days left on the RFL before being required to tax the vehicle themselves.

Paying your RFL means your car is tax immediately as there will be no requirement to have the paper disk in your car from Oct 2014.

This is a logical and robust method to stop people from buying cars that have no tax on them by choice or by fake tax disks.

No one gets ripped off and the system becomes harder to circumnavigate.