Planned Minimum wage rise.

It seems the minimum wage is to rise to £7 and another 'big increase' in the tax free allowance according to George. Yay.

And so it should...give the working poor chance to earn and then spend a bit more...it all helps the economy...

A rise in the minimum wage will only cause an increase in prices for everything. So any increase in the minimum wage will be swallowed up by increased living costs. Stupid idea.

Market competition would help keep prices in check...

It seems the minimum wage is to rise to £7 and another 'big increase' in the tax free allowance according to George. Yay.

Except he isnt the one who sets it, so it's just his wish. Doesnt count for that much.

A rise in the minimum wage will only cause an increase in prices for everything. So any increase in the minimum wage will be swallowed up by increased living costs. Stupid idea.

That's a bit rich coming from a landlord with a property portfolio who buys his goods on the black market.

Buy knock off fags/Bacca. There is someone selling it on most streets these days. £3 for 20 fags or £6 for large packet of Bacca............. half the price of the shops....... with the added bonus that the Government isnt getting its greasy palms on any of your cash ....... everyones a winner.

It needs to rise...but I'm cynical of his motives. He probably thinks it will incentivise more unemployed Brits to get out of bed, rather than allow harder working foreigners to come and take the lower paid work.

He's probably being optimistic.

It needs to rise...but I'm cynical of his motives. He probably thinks it will incentivise more unemployed Brits to get out of bed, rather than allow harder working foreigners to come and take the lower paid work.

He's probably being optimistic.

Not to be funny, but officially foreign workers should benefit most, seeing as how, according to some people on here, most minimum wage jobs are actually carried out by foreigners to the detriment of native workers.

I am quite ambiguous about this really, I think it is a cynical political move to disable Labour winning the next election on the grounds of 'living wage' which I reckon would have been one of Labour's key focal points. But I don't think it is a bad thing overall, the impact of the minimum wage shouldn't be too high on overall spending power so it won't harm inflation and at the same time I think there are serious discussions in other countries about increasing minimum incomes, this move pre-empts that happening here.

We shall see.

According to question time, had the governments followed the advice of one of its own government enquiries, by keeping a pace with inflation, wages etc each year, the minimum wage should now be £19.

Why do they commission these enquiries and then ignore them?

Higher pay = Lower benefits bill.

The only people who won't like this are the bosses of companies who won't pay a living wage to their employees. This move stops the taxpayer from subsidising exploitative employers.

Well done Gideon.

Tax free allowance is £10,000 from April 2014-March 2015

According to question time, had the governments followed the advice of one of its own government enquiries, by keeping a pace with inflation, wages etc each year, the minimum wage should now be £19.

Why do they commission these enquiries and then ignore them?

Because its nonsense. An enquiry / lobby group / back bench commission / independant report / university research can suggest lots of things. However, someone has to consider the viability, implementation and impact of such things.

If the alleged in line with inflation enquiry was true that resulted in a suggested minimum full time wage of £37,000 a year.

You think that was really going to happen?

I have had to say this dozens of times. If you have loo cleaners and order pickers on £37k a year what happens with supervisors, managers, directors, skilled workers, trades, qualified professionals, executives and owners. What then happens with cost of production, operations, distributions, products prices, payroll and facilities. What then happens to the cost of living and value of the money in someone's pocket.... round and round it goes.

Edited by ECCOnoob