Westfield And Stocksbridge

So I'm looking to move into the Sheffield area and I have seen a number of properties i'm potentially interested in two of the main ones are in Westfield, And Stocksbridge just wondered could anyone tell me what these areas are like?

Also could anyone advise of where I should avoid when looking for a property in Sheffield.

The Manor area, Pitsmoor, Arbourthorne for starters. There are other areas but they are the ones not worth looking at at all.

Westfield ain't pretty in parts. Stocksbridge is OK but you'll have to get used to being an outsider.

Why are you looking at two places that are the opposite end of town?

Westfield is close to the tram, so you've got decent tansport links into town.

Stocksbridge has a link-bus, so obviously takes abit longer to get into town - there also isn't a decent supermarket that close (although there is a Rumour a Tesco will be built?).

Morrison's / Sainsburys / Iceland / Crystal Peaks within ten mins walking, we need a Tesco's as well though!

I've lived in Stocksbridge for about 5/6 years now, I like it here. Decent neighbours, it's quiet, facilities aren't bad - got a good doctors surgery, chemist, small supermarkets (Co-op and Lidl), off-licence, leisure centre, butchers, library etc etc all within walking distance (I'm quite central). Decent enough dog-friendly pub up at Bolsterstone too, again walking distance.

The main draw for me is being able to walk out my door and in 15 mins or so I'm out in lovely countryside, I can walk from there out into the Peaks for as long a walk as I want which is brilliant.

You get a lot of people saying that 'outsiders' aren't tolerated however I'm a native scouser and haven't experienced this at all, people here seem friendly and welcoming to me. Maybe the people making such comments have issues themselves!

Stocksbridge is a decent sized little town however and you can't generalise it in one lump - there are some bits that are very nice and the housing can be pretty expensive, and there are some nasty bits, and bits in between (like most towns) so you'd need to research the area yourself really.

There is supposed to be a new development of housing, leisure centre (pool) and shops etc at the bottom of the valley, and who knows maybe even a rail link to town one day! Fingers crossed!

Yes that seems to be the general idea about westfield.

Westfield ain't pretty in parts. Stocksbridge is OK but you'll have to get used to being an outsider.

I am not specifically looking into these areas these were just potential options.

Thanks for your opinion.

Why are you looking at two places that are the opposite end of town?

Westfield is close to the tram, so you've got decent tansport links into town.

Stocksbridge has a link-bus, so obviously takes abit longer to get into town - there also isn't a decent supermarket that close (although there is a Rumour a Tesco will be built?).

Thanks Jace again.

Morrison's / Sainsburys / Iceland / Crystal Peaks within ten mins walking, we need a Tesco's as well though!

Stocksbridge was a place of interest and based on the below it does sound a nice enough place but upon reflection its just too far out for me.

I've lived in Stocksbridge for about 5/6 years now, I like it here. Decent neighbours, it's quiet, facilities aren't bad - got a good doctors surgery, chemist, small supermarkets (Co-op and Lidl), off-licence, leisure centre, butchers, library etc etc all within walking distance (I'm quite central). Decent enough dog-friendly pub up at Bolsterstone too, again walking distance.

The main draw for me is being able to walk out my door and in 15 mins or so I'm out in lovely countryside, I can walk from there out into the Peaks for as long a walk as I want which is brilliant.

You get a lot of people saying that 'outsiders' aren't tolerated however I'm a native scouser and haven't experienced this at all, people here seem friendly and welcoming to me. Maybe the people making such comments have issues themselves!

Stocksbridge is a decent sized little town however and you can't generalise it in one lump - there are some bits that are very nice and the housing can be pretty expensive, and there are some nasty bits, and bits in between (like most towns) so you'd need to research the area yourself really.

There is supposed to be a new development of housing, leisure centre (pool) and shops etc at the bottom of the valley, and who knows maybe even a rail link to town one day! Fingers crossed!

Yeah a lot of people seem to agree with you here on that one.

Forget Westfield it's a complete dive

I think a lot depends on where you work and how easy it is to get to (taking into account traffic at rush hour) and type of house you want - new, modern or victorian/edwardian ?

When I first moved here many years ago didn't know where I wanted to live so I got myself an A to Z, asked around at work to rule out real no-go areas and then got myself on a bus and had a good look round. (Didn't have a car at that point).

Narrowed it down to a few places i thought looked nice then looked at house prices etc. Schools weren't a consideration for me then which I suppose helped. No tinternet in them days either but I found a place I liked within about 6 weeks.