The Crown and Anchor pub FitzWilliam Street

Does anyone recall this pub still being open or the building stilling being there in the early 1970s?

I seem to recall the building being there all on its own but not sure if it had closed down by then.This would be 1973.The bulding seemed to be the only building there on that part of FitzWilliam street which was the bottom part nearer to the Moor and on the left side as you went down to The Moor.

I wonder if this area was flattened after bombing in The Sheffield blitz,does anyone remember that?

Crown and Anchor

218 Fitzwilliam Street / 218 Bright Street

Open 1841 Closed Span

Comments

Earlier

In 1832 Bright Street was the continuation of Fitzwilliam Street

At some later date in the mid 1800s Bright Street lost the name to Fitzwilliam Street.

Not to be confused with Bright Street S9.

1841 James Taylor [ 218 Bright Street ]

1845 Henry Sampson

1846 Henry Sampson

1852 Charles Moseley

1856 Charles Moseley [ 218 Bright Street ]

1859 James Dixon

1861 to 1865 James Dixon [ 218 Bright Street ]

1868 James Dixon

1871 James Dixon

1876 James Dixon [ 218 Fitzwilliam Street ]

1879 James Dixon

1881 James Dixon

1883 Charles Mills

1887 to 1890 Samuel Haslem

1893 John William Mottershaw

1895 -6 John William Mottershaw

1889 John William Mottershaw

1900 -01 John William Mottershaw

1902 Charles Matthews

1903 Charles Matthews

1905 William Robert Hill Smith

1907 William Robert Hill Smith

1910 William Robert Hill Smith

1911 William Robert Hill Smith

1912 Frank Brodie

1913 George Norman

1916 John Craven

1917 John Craven

1919 to 1925 John Craven

1929 J Arthur Pashley

1931 J Arthur Pashley

1932 John Picken

1933 William Ridsdel

1936 to 1939 William Ridsdel

I'm not sure but it looks though it closed in 1939 or it was bombed, just cant be sure.

Crown and Anchor

218 Fitzwilliam Street / 218 Bright Street

Open 1841 Closed Span

Comments

Earlier

In 1832 Bright Street was the continuation of Fitzwilliam Street

At some later date in the mid 1800s Bright Street lost the name to Fitzwilliam Street.

Not to be confused with Bright Street S9.

1841 James Taylor [ 218 Bright Street ]

1845 Henry Sampson

1846 Henry Sampson

1852 Charles Moseley

1856 Charles Moseley [ 218 Bright Street ]

1859 James Dixon

1861 to 1865 James Dixon [ 218 Bright Street ]

1868 James Dixon

1871 James Dixon

1876 James Dixon [ 218 Fitzwilliam Street ]

1879 James Dixon

1881 James Dixon

1883 Charles Mills

1887 to 1890 Samuel Haslem

1893 John William Mottershaw

1895 -6 John William Mottershaw

1889 John William Mottershaw

1900 -01 John William Mottershaw

1902 Charles Matthews

1903 Charles Matthews

1905 William Robert Hill Smith

1907 William Robert Hill Smith

1910 William Robert Hill Smith

1911 William Robert Hill Smith

1912 Frank Brodie

1913 George Norman

1916 John Craven

1917 John Craven

1919 to 1925 John Craven

1929 J Arthur Pashley

1931 J Arthur Pashley

1932 John Picken

1933 William Ridsdel

1936 to 1939 William Ridsdel

I'm not sure but it looks though it closed in 1939 or it was bombed, just cant be sure.

Is that information courtesy of sheffieldhistory.co.uk

lazarus? :roll:

The pub had closed by the early 1970's then! By the early 1940s even!

DOES anyone know if the building was still there in the early 1970s? If it was still there,DOES anyone know why it it had remained standing all those years?

I know many places weren't able to be rebuilt due to lack of funding after the war but why couldn't they have knocked them down if not in use?

Is that information courtesy of sheffieldhistory.co.uk

lazarus? :roll:

No someone sent me the info a short while ago when I was researching Fitzwilliam St, so I kept it in my files.

Thank you,anyway for the information i have been given so far.i am still hoping to find out if i imagined the building still being there in 1972/3?

Thank you,anyway for the information i have been given so far.i am still hoping to find out if i imagined the building still being there in 1972/3?

in all my years that i lived in the area i never knew a pub by that name, as i wrote on another thread when after the war we would play on what we called the bombed buildings when in fact a lot of these were derelict sites that were vacated before the war, one i remember was the fitzwilliam hotel the corner of broomhall and fitzwilliam streets.

the only others were i recall,the raven,the washington,the peacock.

Edited by willybite

Do you mean the Peacock that was open in the 1960s, it was on the left hand side of Fitzwilliam St, it was roughly where Stokes Tiles old showroom is now.

in all my years that i lived in the area i never knew a pub by that name, as i wrote on another thread when after the war we would play on what we called the bombed buildings when in fact a lot of these were derelict sites that were vacated before the war, one i remember was the fitzwilliam hotel the corner of broomhall and fitzwilliam streets.

the only others were i recall,the raven,the washington,the peacock.

I too remember the bombed out buildings, my brother and other friends also played there, they were later rebuilt where Atkinsons now stands. I lived in that area all my younger years and have never heard of a pub by that name.

I too remember the bombed out buildings, my brother and other friends also played there, they were later rebuilt where Atkinsons now stands. I lived in that area all my younger years and have never heard of a pub by that name.

I remember a stone staircase still standing in the ruins of one of the buildings. As a six year old I longed to join in with the kids that were always playing there but my mother would never let me. She always gripped my hand tighter as we passed on our way up the Moor. :mad:

hank you for all the information,it has been very interesting.Probably why no-one recalls The Crown and Anchor could be that after it closed ,maybe all the items such as the inn sign were removed and no-one would know its name from then on?

I have found(from info.I was given refering to sheffieldhistory.co.uk) that the pub was at the corner of FitzWilliam street and Button Lane.I do not recall this Lane but have seen it on old maps of the area and the position was where I recall the derelict building to have been.It was on the right side as I 'crossed' over Charter Row and went up FW street.

On the occasions when I was with My Mom,she would point to the derelict building (which looked as though it was a former pub) and say that her Mottershaw relative ran that pub.John W. Mottershaw ran the pub when my Grandad was a young boy.Mom could have got the wrong derelict building and not sure if she knew the former name either.Going on the connection she knew about the Mottershaw running it,she could have the right building.However there do seem to have been several pubs,one on each corner which ofcourse beerhouses were.

John W. Mottershaw wasn't a blood relative either his first cousin William Henry Mottershaw was Mom's great Uncle. JWm took a photo of Mom's Uncle Harry

hank you for all the information,it has been very interesting.Probably why no-one recalls The Crown and Anchor could be that after it closed ,maybe all the items such as the inn sign were removed and no-one would know its name from then on?

I have found(from info.I was given refering to sheffieldhistory.co.uk) that the pub was at the corner of FitzWilliam street and Button Lane.I do not recall this Lane but have seen it on old maps of the area and the position was where I recall the derelict building to have been.It was on the right side as I 'crossed' over Charter Row and went up FW street.

On the occasions when I was with My Mom,she would point to the derelict building (which looked as though it was a former pub) and say that her Mottershaw relative ran that pub.John W. Mottershaw ran the pub when my Grandad was a young boy.Mom could have got the wrong derelict building and not sure if she knew the former name either.Going on the connection she knew about the Mottershaw running it,she could have the right building.However there do seem to have been several pubs,one on each corner which ofcourse beerhouses were.

John W. Mottershaw wasn't a blood relative either his first cousin William Henry Mottershaw was Mom's great Uncle. JWm took a photo of Mom's Uncle Harry

Button lane ran from the back of Pickerings and came out near the bottom of Ecclesall road where there were some small shops, if memory serves there was a grocers called Gallons on the corner and lower down a butchers then houses, their back yards were accessed from Button lane. the pub on the corner I believe was called The Ecclesall Tavern, I think it was closed for redevelopment

---------- Post added 20-01-2014 at 22:48 ----------

Button lane ran from the back of Pickerings and came out near the bottom of Ecclesall road where there were some small shops, if memory serves there was a grocers called Gallons on the corner and lower down a butchers then houses, their back yards were accessed from Button lane. the pub on the corner I believe was called The Ecclesall Tavern, I think it was closed for redevelopment

Button lane was not on corner of Fitzwilliam street but Moor street probably where the centre of the dual carriage is today