Fright night 2014 cancelled

Which two?

How do you know they arent being charged as well?

Charged with wasting police time I hope :hihi::hihi::hihi::hihi::hihi:

this event will be sadly missed by thousands of people in and around Sheffield,cannot understand why scc council have to pay any money towards this event,as its run by a event company,who should run the event to its income,as do many other events run in this city by various groups,the stall and funfair income must be huge for this event,they say it will be back ,but if the scc claim more cuts are still to come,where is the extra cash coming from,or have they spent all there spare cash this year on a bike race.

this event will be sadly missed by thousands of people in and around Sheffield,cannot understand why scc council have to pay any money towards this event,as its run by a event company,who should run the event to its income,as do many other events run in this city by various groups,the stall and funfair income must be huge for this event,they say it will be back ,but if the scc claim more cuts are still to come,where is the extra cash coming from,or have they spent all there spare cash this year on a bike race.

Clearly the private enterprise doesnt think they will make enough money from it hence it not being viable. If the sums dont add up then they dont add up. Be hard to charge for these sort of things without being able to restrict access. For that they would need permits and people to oversee it. Why not contact the people concerned and ask them?

Strange how the council can find the money for a bike race

Ha. Do you really think that Sheffield City Council organise the Tour De France:D

the problem i have is this is worth a lot of money to sheffield and people come from a long way to take part yet again the coucil cut a event for the people blame the goverment i bet comes from the mouth of julie bore

You have lots of problems. Thinking straight is one of them. The event clearly isn't worth any money to anyone, or the organisers wouldn't have cancelled.

People aren't blaming the government either. They are accepting that the private company that runs it doesn't find it worthwhile any more. That is their prerogative.

You spelt "Dore" incorrectly too. (Along with a couple of other words:))

Good. At least this means there won't be any changes to my bus route during this time now.

"Fright Night has grown to be the biggest Hallowe’en celebration in the country."

=/

I dunno, maybe it's just because I don't have kids, but I always had to travel through it on my way home from work every year and I always hated it.

Trams, buses...yes full of parents with their kids dressed up, but also if there is any event that attracts every chav in Sheffield to the city centre at the same time it's Fright Night.

......where is the extra cash coming from,or have they spent all there spare cash this year on a bike race.

The Tour de France coming to Sheffield will bring far more visitors, prestige, money and publicity to Sheffield than Fright Night ever will. It's a one off that will never be repeated. Your problem is that you're a moaning whinger who thinks that your own pet projects should be funded and nobody else's should. Thinking that Fright Night in any way compares to the Tour de France which is one of the biggest sporting events in the world shows how small-minded you are.

When I think of how brilliant Sheffield used to be growing up as a child compared to how it is now, there was only one thing that I could say to console myself and that was, 'Well Sheffield still can do one thing better than anyone else...." - and that was Fright Night.

We used to have a local Christmas lights switch on and that was great and fostered a great sense of community and brought families and young and old together, that ended a couple of years ago due to funding, and then people wonder why communities go downhill.

When I think of how brilliant Sheffield used to be growing up as a child compared to how it is now, there was only one thing that I could say to console myself and that was, 'Well Sheffield still can do one thing better than anyone else...." - and that was Fright Night.

We used to have a local Christmas lights switch on and that was great and fostered a great sense of community and brought families and young and old together, that ended a couple of years ago due to funding, and then people wonder why communities go downhill.

Do you remember the Christmas Carols in Paradise Square with the hand held candles? Must have been early seventies.

Regarding the Tour de France. Isn't the route avoiding the city centre and showing the world the delights of places like Fir Vale and Page Hall? How is THAT going to raise Sheffield's profile worldwide?

Regarding the Tour de France. Isn't the route avoiding the city centre and showing the world the delights of places like Fir Vale and Page Hall? How is THAT going to raise Sheffield's profile worldwide?

My apologies Ousetunes, I thought you were joking:

Cycling: Tour de France Stage Two Route details into Sheffield

Representatives of Sheffield Council have been in discussions with event organisers Welcome to Yorkshire and the Amaury Sport Organisation to avoid the Northern General Hospital - and an agreement has now been reached to take a route through Shirecliffe and Burngreave, finishing the stage outside Sheffield Arena.

The riders will approach the finish from the Meadowhall end of Sheffield Road, leading onto Attercliffe Road, with the line just after the junction with Broughton Lane.

Earlier the peloton, which may include Sheffield’s Adam Blythe and Rotherham’s Ben Swift and Russ Downing, will have entered Sheffield along Mortimer Road, before travelling through High Bradfield on Kirk Edge Road.

Oughtibridge and Grenoside are the next stops before a right turn onto Halifax Road sends the riders towards Sheffield’s Wednesday’s Hillsborough Stadium.

Turning left at the roundabout with Leppings Lane the race will go up Herries Road before a right turn at the roundabout with Moonshine Lane and Shirecliffe Road.

Winding its was through Burngreave the riders eventually make their way via Gower Street and Sutherland Street onto Savile Street East and Brightside Lane.

A left onto Upwell Street is quickly followed by a right onto Holywell Road.

The riders may feel fairly comfortable at this point but a sharp left awaits them at Jenkin Road, which will be one of the steepest stretches of road anywhere on next year’s entire Tour route.

Turning right off Jenkin Road onto Newman Road the peloton works its way towards Meadowhall via Barrow Road and Meadowhall Road.

Meadowhall Way brings the race round the shopping centre and onto Sheffield Road for the final sprint to the finish line in front of the Arena.

Stop moaning they don't have to put an event on for you to enjoy yourself! Do what lots of us do and use your imagination to do something yourself instead of relying on the Council to provide your entertainment! Get over yourselves all you moaners :help:

The riders may feel fairly comfortable at this point but a sharp left awaits them at Jenkin Road, which will be one of the steepest stretches of road anywhere on next year’s entire Tour route.

Why not have Sheffield as the "King of the Mountains" section? :hihi::hihi::hihi::hihi: