Fright night 2014 cancelled

just been on the radio fright night cancelled for 2014 as council cannot afford it

and they say police not helping and saying may charge,its a disgrace that familys cannot have a night out,but I bet they find cash for some thing that is for the minority:(:(

Is this not more a case of the council not charging the stall holders sufficient to cover costs?

---------- Post added 16-01-2014 at 13:16 ----------

If it is so profiable then surely some private company can run it, does it actually NEED the council?

They obviously had a fantastic event manager, with even better project support.

Yeah.

Seems like its been under threat for a while. Perhaps it just needs more sponsorship. Shame if it goes , but if it is so profitable, then why does it need the council? Seems its about the council being unwilling to pay an additional £8,000 on top of the £20,000 it already provides in light of the budget cuts.

---------- Post added 16-01-2014 at 13:35 ----------

[/color]

Fright Night could go under council cuts

January 17th, 2013

Fright Night is on a list of seven major events in Sheffield that will have their grants cut as the council claws back £50m over the next year.

The council believes organisers will be able to absorb the cuts without having to cancel future events.

Fright Night does not charge for admission and attracts a crowd of just over 45,000 to the city centre.But as it’s popularity has increased, so has the cost of staging it, because of the need for more safety barriers and stewarding.

Last year the total bill was about £50,000, with the council giving £20,000, the Arts Council £9,500, the University of Sheffield helping with some events and sponsorship plugging the gaps.

This year’s prospective council cut of up to 20% comes after 20% last year. Fright Night organiser Scott Barton will meet council representatives to discuss the situation but he is hoping the event will take place for the 13th time this year.

“We want it to happen, but we have got to be realistic and look whether it is viable,” he said. “We understand the situation the council is in. It is facing unprecedented cuts which involve job losses.

“We are sitting down with the council at the end of January or the beginning of February to look at the details, to assess the options and to see whether the event is viable.”

Edited by 999tigger

Is this not more a case of the council not charging the stall holders sufficient to cover costs?

---------- Post added 16-01-2014 at 13:16 ----------

If it is so profiable then surely some private company can run it, does it actually NEED the council?

I wish people would get there facts right before posting,have you actually read the article in todays Star or heard the interview with Scott Barton from Yellow Bus ?

The Council does not run Fright Night it is run by Yellow Bus Events with a contrbution fron the Council among others.

The Council has not cancelled Fright Night,a private events company has because it has become non profitable.

Cut a senior managers salary and problem solved. (See the council cut thread made yesterday for why I said that)

If it's £8000 to police it, and 45000 visit it that's only a contribution of 18p each

I wish people would get there facts right before posting,have you actually read the article in todays Star or heard the interview with Scott Barton from Yellow Bus ?

The Council does not run Fright Night it is run by Yellow Bus Events with a contrbution fron the Council among others.

The Council has not cancelled Fright Night,a private events company has because it has become non profitable.

Please, please do not let the truth get in the way of a good rant!

If it's £8000 to police it, and 45000 visit it that's only a contribution of 18p each

Plus of course the cost of the stewards, fencing, portaloos, construction, red tape, performers and all the rest.....

...I bet they find cash for some thing that is for the minority:(:(

I read on Facebook that the Black One-legged Lesbian Single-parent Muslamic Refugee and Asylum-seeker Society has just received a grant from Sheffield City Council for £50million :o

just been on the radio fright night cancelled for 2014 as council cannot afford it

and they say police not helping and saying may charge,its a disgrace that familys cannot have a night out,but I bet they find cash for some thing that is for the minority:(:(

Fright night WAS for the minority hence why only a small percent attended compared to the population

I read the thread as 'Friday night cancelled by the council' then opened it up to see what it had been replaced with. Doh.

I read on Facebook that the Black One-legged Lesbian Single-parent Muslamic Refugee and Asylum-seeker Society has just received a grant from Sheffield City Council for £50million :o

Brilliant!!!...It looks like the Council will be taking care of me this coming year. :hihi:

Regards

Doom