Fright night 2014 cancelled

An events city? What on earth you basing that on? Snooker? Few bands at the arena?

Think that is unfair. Theres nearly always something going off on Fargate, Winter Gardens or Peace Gardens area. They do other things like comedy and book festivals. I dont know what resources they have but I do get the feeling someone somewhere does try hard.

I know the button you mean. Scary stuff:hihi:

Get ready for button depress!! :)

---------- Post added 18-01-2014 at 21:25 ----------

As an Events Management student I can see the reasoning for the close as all the different Legalities and economic influences that the event. They just need a new innovative idea to add to the event to draw the crowd in. As a regular citizen it is sad to see that a family orientated event such as Fright Night being cancelled. I feel like the council are letting the city down events wise. I attend the Xmas light switch on and felt it was a tame attempt at another Fright Night and I know that was also run by Yellow Bus Events. This city is supposed to be know to be an events city and I just feel it could lose that reputation.

2/10. See me.

West Street is pretty eventful at chucking out time:)

If we're going on "events" like that, chesterfield could give a Sheffield a good run for its money ;) ;). With the exception of the snooker what does Sheffield offer that Manchester, Leeds or even places like Brighton don't offer? What makes it stand out as "an events city" as opposed to city that has a few events in it?

---------- Post added 18-01-2014 at 21:26 ----------

Think that is unfair. Theres nearly always something going off on Fargate, Winter Gardens or Peace Gardens area. They do other things like comedy and book festivals. I dont know what resources they have but I do get the feeling someone somewhere does try hard.

I could see most if not all of that in Lichfield.

I'm basing it on Welcome to Sheffield's attempt at marketing the city. Tramlines was a big event. Leadmill and the Arena bring in good acts. On a local/community scale there are a lot of events happening all the time.

I'm basing it on Welcome to Sheffield's attempt at marketing the city. Tramlines was a big event. Leadmill and the Arena bring in good acts. On a local/community scale there are a lot of events happening all the time.

But everywhere does local/community events. The leadmill and the arena are just big venues - look at the acts that go there and they go to other towns, often a lot smaller than Sheffield with similar size venues. Tramlines is a big event and a good one too but it's not a stand out event nationally though. Lots of places of putting on festivals now - the number nationally has been going up through the roof over the past decade. If you want to base the success of marketing of events in Sheffield explain why a venue like don valley stadium is getting turned into houses. That place had so much scope it's not even funny.

But everywhere does local/community events. The leadmill and the arena are just big venues - look at the acts that go there and they go to other towns, often a lot smaller than Sheffield with similar size venues. Tramlines is a big event and a good one too but it's not a stand out event nationally though. Lots of places of putting on festivals now - the number nationally has been going up through the roof over the past decade. If you want to base the success of marketing of events in Sheffield explain why a venue like don valley stadium is getting turned into houses. That place had so much scope it's not even funny.

The reason Don Valley was shut is beyond me! The potential of the venue is v.high and the area could have been developed to maybe in 10 or so years time host an event such as the Commonwealth games but when the city uses Tramlines as their main event in the event calendar it's never going to happen. The crucible and the whole of Tudor Square is a unique space in which events do happen for families. Like the CBeebies events but their just isn't enough to satisfy the locals.

The reason Don Valley was shut is beyond me! The potential of the venue is v.high and the area could have been developed to maybe in 10 or so years time host an event such as the Commonwealth games but when the city uses Tramlines as their main event in the event calendar it's never going to happen. The crucible and the whole of Tudor Square is a unique space in which events do happen for families. Like the CBeebies events but their just isn't enough to satisfy the locals.

It all figures now :D

Wasnt Don Calley shut because they couldnt afford to keep it open becayse nobidy was interested and no outside parties cam up with any better ideas on how to make a profit from it?

Erm... Sorry what?

Reda post 123 :)

Has the land which Don Valley stands on been sold?

But DVS is 20 years old. We should have at least pushed Edinburgh or Manchester for the commonwealth games over the last few years but probably (and I will bow to anyone else who can correct me) didn't even think about going for it. Tudor square is unique - in Sheffield. So many other towns and cities do events etc way better than Sheffield sadly which is why it can never be classed as an events city. If it is, which city in your opinion does it worse?

Tour de France should be interesting and should be successful - I doubt whether that success will be built on.