Fright night 2014 cancelled

I've never really understood why the council would run Fright Night or Afterdark fireworks- there's very little benefit of the town centre to be full for one night when most shops are closed.

I'd rather they spent the money on economy-boosting ALL weekend activities where people can come to the town and actually spend money.

Fright Night isn't great anyway, lets be honest. It's just a fun fair in town. If you really wanted to go to an event you've got a number of other options to choose from- but (shock horror) they'll actually CHARGE you for the privilege of getting in.

If you're not willing to pay, why should the taxpayer subsidize your night out? I don't particularly want my council tax being used to allow a bunch of your kids to wear masks while running about town for an evening. There is clearly very little economic gain for the city compared to, say, Tramlines or the DocFest- both of which appear to be much better value for future funding as they actually attract people to the city for a weekend. And also in both of those cases, the people who attend don't mind being asked to pay for some of the events.

So for once it sounds to me like the council have used their available funding properly. I applaud this sensible decision.

When Fright Night started it was held on 31st October. It was started as a safe alternative to children going 'trick or treating'.

As the event got bigger more areas of the city centre were closed for the event preparations as well as the time of the event. This impacted on trade, commuting and businesses etc. This is when it was moved to the Sunday before Halloween to minimise negative impact on people / businesses not involved and increase trade to shops on a Sunday. However, this defeated its original object of keeping people off the streets and annoying (some) people on 31st.

I haven't, but as I said in my post I'm basing this assumption on 1 night v's 2 days & nights. Also, I've read they were funded £60k a year... for what exactly? They've already said the rides and stallholders were asked to 'chip in' last year so they can't have to pay for them to turn up... Where does it all go?

Its discussed earlier in the thread, but wasnt Sheffield CC's contribution only a fraction of that and other funding came from other places like the Arts Council?

How much does Tramlines and Docfest cost?

Isnt the thing that Fright Night can attract and be for the entertainment of young kids, who are also part of the community?

1 night v 2 days and nights is pretty simplistic and meaningless unless you know the actual costs and the actual economic benefits. Feel free to provide them.

Edited by 999tigger

Forget the costs, .... Fright Night has become a victim of its own success and become unmanageable in terms of crowd management.

If people want it enough, why not make a donation to the council to pay the policing :)

We do !! ..................its called Council Tax :(

I've never really understood why the council would run Fright Night or Afterdark fireworks- there's very little benefit of the town centre to be full for one night when most shops are closed.

I'd rather they spent the money on economy-boosting ALL weekend activities where people can come to the town and actually spend money.

Fright Night isn't great anyway, lets be honest. It's just a fun fair in town. If you really wanted to go to an event you've got a number of other options to choose from- but (shock horror) they'll actually CHARGE you for the privilege of getting in.

If you're not willing to pay, why should the taxpayer subsidize your night out? I don't particularly want my council tax being used to allow a bunch of your kids to wear masks while running about town for an evening. There is clearly very little economic gain for the city compared to, say, Tramlines or the DocFest- both of which appear to be much better value for future funding as they actually attract people to the city for a weekend. And also in both of those cases, the people who attend don't mind being asked to pay for some of the events.

So for once it sounds to me like the council have used their available funding properly. I applaud this sensible decision.

I was really quite disappointed by Fright Night last year; I had missed it for several years before because I was always away for Halloween.

I was really disappointed last eyar to discover that it was nothing more than a lot of funfair rides, sweets/food stalls, and a huge number of kids running around throwing bangers/crackers without so much as a police caution. THere seemed to be no evidence of live entertainment anywhere; even many of the nightclubs including one where I was doing a cabaret that night, were strangely empty.:confused::confused::confused:

I really like Frightnight, but if the choice is that or spending money on social care for the elderly, care services for children, keeping the bins collected or repairing the roads I don't think you can justify the expense for a moment.

It's a shame they can't find local companies to sponsor it or local bars and retailers haven't been asked to chip in. It would be nice if the big companies with bases here like Sky, Irwin Mitchell or DLA could stump up the cash for a community event.

But I think it's a good call on the part of the council, it's a non-essential.

So you have to wait for the police and council to say yes before you can party with your family in town ?

Just go I n the hundreds and have a good time

I'm sure there will be food stalls ext there if they know enouth people are going to turn up ..

Maybe a traditional party where people fetch and share own food .

Details of a new City Centre Halloween event are in today's Star - Out of this World.

Too many 'proles' at Fright Night then?

There were plenty of proles at TdF. Thousands and thousands of them. A lot more than at FN.

Edited by LeMaquis

Details of a new City Centre Halloween event are in today's Star - Out of this World.

This event was really good!

no mention of the footfall ,was that up to normal years,doubt it,trust it was well down?